SAGELADY2   31,620
30,000-39,999 SparkPoints
SAGELADY2's Recent Blog Entries

Back To Life

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The surgery went as well as can be expected. I developed pneumonia, an infection that led to a second operation and finally got out of the hospital 2 weeks later. Apparently I had broken ribs which led to the pneumonia - my guess was during positioning during surgery they were broken. I left the hospital with 3 huge, gaping wounds on my abdomen and a wound vac on them. The next two months were spent trying to eat a ton of protein, every other day visits from home care nurses for dressing changes and lots of rest.

I got the wound vac off about two weeks ago. I'm down to wet to dry dressings now on the wound line and tiny remaining hole from the last open wound. The original holes were about 3" in diameter and a little over an inch deep. When I first saw them at home I freaked out and thought I'd take months to heal and I was scared witless that I'd blow open.

I went back to work about a month ago and have been working from home since 98% of my job is computer based. That was a blessing. I did get the flu about 3 weeks ago - right around Thanksgiving. I wore my abdominal binder extra tight with all the coughing I was doing. Now I'm just coughing when I lay down.

The hernia repair encompassed my entire abdomen from the rib cage to my pelvis to my pubic bone. It's funny, but the attachments of the mesh at the edges (by the ribs, pelvis etc...) are settling in and hurt. I have some scar tissue along the second surgery line which was horizontal rather than vertical - I have a "T" looking scar - hurts a lot as the remaining drainage is absorbed into my body. There were tunnels from the last two holes that ran here and there, but they've closed up now.

I lost 20 pounds since the surgery, hoping to keep it off. I was able to walk Dixie this week for the first time. I'm slowly building up my endurance each day (meaning a few more houses down the street) and getting stronger. I walked and did the stairs to my basement the past month or so, but walking Dixie can be a challenge so I waited on that. I've got my fitbit back on and will be challenging myself daily to add more steps. I'm still on the eat more protein mandate from my surgeon to continue to heal which is a hard thing to do. By the third week I was home, I couldn't look at an egg or protein powder without wanting to puke.

Glad to be back and in one piece. The surgery was super long, and took a lot more out of me than I expected. I guess getting older exacts a price on you at times. It makes me even more aware of how important it is to be in good shape and active. So, back and with a flat tummy (I got a tummy tuck in the deal too, no more baby flop down there) and feeling pretty good.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

NELLIEC 12/15/2013 11:17PM

    Well, surgery certainly can be a problem to recover from. I am glad you are better now. It is nice you did get a tummy tuck thrown in!

Report Inappropriate Comment
FISHINGLADY66 12/15/2013 5:57PM

    I'm so sorry you had to go thru all this. I had pneumonia back around the first of the year. I know how that is. I hope you stay well and gain strength every day. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MELMOMOF4 12/15/2013 1:12PM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Getting ready for surgery

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I decided on a new surgeon and have met with him and his partner. The surgery is next week to take down the colostomy and repair the hernias. I was in the hospital last week with a small bowel obstruction, caught in a hernia. It was able to get reduced and I went home, and surgery was on the docket sooner. It's a good thing, to finally get there.

I'm taking the time tonight to just get my thoughts together, make lists of what I need to do and just reflect. What do I want to do in my future and how do I want to use my time when I'm home from the surgery. I'm planning on bringing my fitbit to wear when I'm walking the halls after the surgery. Curious how many steps I get in.

Hubby is scared still, even though I told him everything he needed to know, he asked the surgeon the same questions who gave him the same answers. I'm looking forward to being able to walk the dog again and not have to worry every day is it incarcerated or not. I'm working from home - getting things set up for me being gone for 6 weeks.

There's not much else to say other than I can't wait to get back to being active again. I miss the walks and am looking forward to the fall leaves and time to enjoy them while recuperating. Life has been too hectic and crazy. Time for some slow down time.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

BMCOLLEY 9/19/2013 5:19PM


Report Inappropriate Comment
LAINYC 9/19/2013 2:13PM


Report Inappropriate Comment
BUSYGRANNY5 9/19/2013 7:32AM

    Thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband!

Report Inappropriate Comment
NELLIEC 9/19/2013 12:07AM

    I am praying.

Report Inappropriate Comment
DEEEBEE 9/19/2013 12:05AM

    Everything will go fine. This sounds like standard surgery that the surgeon has done umpteen times. You will have a good chance to rest, relax, take it easy afterwards. Maybe get some books read. Best to you!

DeAnne, Missourians Team

Report Inappropriate Comment
FISHINGLADY66 9/18/2013 10:34PM

    You will be in my prayers. I hope every goes will and your back to your old self again soon. ((Hugs))

Report Inappropriate Comment
LJBKENT 9/18/2013 8:36PM

    Hope that all goes well and that you are back to normal soon! We'll all be thinking about you.

Report Inappropriate Comment


Thursday, August 22, 2013

I'm going to have to make this short, I'm at work. I've had a ton of stuff going on but am working back to normal. I should have about 6 more weeks of insanity and then have my life back to some semblance of "normal."

We moved, out of a house we'd lived in for 15 years due to the neighborhood declining in a serious way. It was no longer safe to walk my dog day or night. All kinds of ugly things had happened, so we made a serious, but good in the long run (I hope at least) decision to let it go and start over. There is no salvaging things at this point.

I'm battling an ever growing hernia next to my stoma and incision that has made the simplest of tasks painful. Tomorrow I see my primary doc to get suggestions and hopefully a referral to PT to help me exercise and strengthen my core without doing any more damage. I see my surgeon in 5 weeks (and hopefully will have lost the 10 I gained and 10 more by then).

So, I'm still here, just about all I have time for is to update my food entries to keep on track. I should be at a place to participate more fully in Oct. Until then, it's 7 days a week of work at work, then work at home and wrapping up the move. I'm too old for this stuff.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

DEEEBEE 8/23/2013 12:15AM

    You need a safe neighborhood. It's a good thing you are able to move. Moving is hard, and then you can't find anything. Maybe you'll have a housewarming party when this is all over.

Trust your doctor to do the best for you, but if you have any doubts, get a second opinion.

Best to you!

DeAnne, Missourians Team

Report Inappropriate Comment
FISHINGLADY66 8/22/2013 8:54PM

    So sorry to hear about your neighborhood and your medical problem. Wishing you the best on everything soon. Hang in there hun.

Report Inappropriate Comment
GOLFGMA 8/22/2013 8:19PM

    Wow, you do have a lot going on. Take it one-day-at-a-time and do the most important things each day to keep your sanity. emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NELLIEC 8/22/2013 6:25PM

    Wow, sorry to hear about the hernia!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CHERIJ16 8/22/2013 2:12PM

    Hang in there! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Lots going on

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

While waiting for the layoffs to hit at my hospital, my husband got laid off. The tornadoes that went through on Friday hit his workplace and destroyed everything. They most likely won't return. Even if they do, it will be months.

He was there working when it hit. Very scary. I was at home running around in the dark with my dog trying to figure out where to get to since we don't have a basement. My husband was on the phone with me the whole time. I listened as he and his co-workers were weathering the roof and walls crashing in and then an ensuing gas leak. It was my turn next, I heard the roaring of the tornado come by the house and thankfully it passed us by.

We spent the weekend without power. Things are somewhat back to normal now. I'm working hard at getting a grip on things. All over the place.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

NELLIEC 6/8/2013 7:58PM

    Oh, wow, too many difficult things at once. I am glad you survived and your dog and husband survived!

Report Inappropriate Comment
FISHINGLADY66 6/5/2013 12:48PM

    The weather has been so scary this year. I'm so sorry about your husbands job, but so glad you both survived. Some storms have been really close to us also. Take care, stay safe. ((Hugs))

Report Inappropriate Comment
SHARJOPAUL 6/5/2013 8:55AM

    Glad you are both safe and the house survived. Sorry about your husband losing his job.

Report Inappropriate Comment
DEEEBEE 6/5/2013 12:24AM

    I am so sorry. We were down in the basement in a storage space we have under the front door entrance. We had my laptop and our phones and our dog, too. Our subdivision was hit hard in 1967. We were not living here then, but it's always a possibility.

Best to you! emoticon

DeAnne, Missourians Team

Report Inappropriate Comment

Scale is Going Back Down

Sunday, May 19, 2013

I've been doing well on my keep on track commitment. Working on using my new nutribullet blender to whiz up the veggies and fruits I would otherwise have an issue digesting. Every morning I drink a mix of greens (all kinds now), protein powder, no fat greek yogurt, berries and a bit of water. That lasts me most days till dinner. I can work a long day at work and not really feel hungry till I get home.

Dinners have been very good, with variants of fillings for soft corn tortillas. Rice, beans, meat, cheese and lots of greens and onions. It's very filling and long lasting. I don't get hungry in the morning until I've been up for a couple of hours. I'll drink my blended breakfast drink then and am good for quite a while.

I'm still wavering on a flare and hernia issues, one day the hernias are bad, the next my joints are shot. So, I got only a few days of good mileage on walking. I'm looking forward to more walks and longer ones this week. I did a major clean out of the garage yesterday - more today to do plus regular housework and get ready for another week of work.

So, down to 241 today. The 13 pounds I gained on the bp med change is coming off, 7 more pounds to go. Slowly but surely.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

BECCAZEN7 5/20/2013 3:04AM

    Good job! I do the nutribullet blasts also (at least once a day). Yesterday I did spinach, kale (just a little), 2 scoops of protein powder, 2TBS of PB2 powder (peanut butter flavor but less calories), half of a frozen banana, 1/2 tsp Mangosteen powder (antioxident), 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt and soymilk to the line. It was really YUMMY!
Missourians! Team

Report Inappropriate Comment
ONUTHIN125 5/19/2013 5:13PM

    emoticon I am going to start drinking a green smoothie every morning. Sounds like you are on the right track. Spark On! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
BABY_GIRL69 5/19/2013 5:09PM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon God bless, Dee

Report Inappropriate Comment
FISHINGLADY66 5/19/2013 12:39PM

    emoticon Never give up, just take it Day by Day. Keep up the good work. emoticon

Comment edited on: 5/19/2013 12:39:43 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
SNS1968 5/19/2013 10:00AM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Last Page