Saturday, September 08, 2012
Max Interval Plyo - Done! Wow, today's workout was hard. I started early because I wanted to get in my big master plan for the day. I had to work this weekend and, to be honest, work has been super stressful and non-stop. I worked yesterday from when I got up (3:45 A.M.) until 10 P.M. last night. I did have a couple of breaks to workout and get dressed (ha, ha!), but for the most part, I worked all day.
Today's master plan was to do Insanity (55 minutes) and then hit up my friend's spin class (65 minutes). I was able to do that and get in about 10 minutes of stretching and 10 minutes of ab work. Then, I had to go to work. I thought I'd be done earlier, but here it is 6 P.M., and I'm just now getting back home. I have a ton of things to do here too that I've put off all week, so the work just seems to be never ending. I did give myself this brief moment to write here, but I have a lot of people I wanted to respond to and others I wanted to just meet and get to know (I've just started my challenge, so there's a lot to do!). I guess all that will wait for now.
Going back to the Insanity workout this morning, I was totally exhausted. I think having my friends working out with me yesterday had me pushing myself harder than usual. Today I was so tired!! There were a couple times I had to take a break - and just Tuesday I did this with no breaks. Ahh!! My body must be telling me to relax a bit. (Work isn't helping me much.) I did have fun at the spin class, but that's totally relaxing for me even if I push myself there. I can spin all day...Insanity, no way!!
That's it for now. I hope to have a good rest day tomorrow. I'm off of work and maybe I'll catch up here and with my household duties. I sure hope so! I do plan on a 3 mile walk tomorrow and some strength training, but that should be a welcome relief.
Have a great weekend!!!
Friday, September 07, 2012
Max Interval Circuit - Done!
Today a group of friends (7) who did the first round of Insanity with me showed up, and we had an Insanity reunion of sorts. It made this workout go faster and seem a bit more fun. I think I appreciate exercising with others much more than working out alone. It's true that alone I can do what I want and not feel silly or uncomfortable if I can't do an exercise well or even at all. But, having people around you who support you (not idiots you sometimes find in gyms) makes a huge difference. We were cheering each other on and giving each other help when needed. It didn't matter if someone couldn't do something or couldn't finish something. We were all in it together. At the end we all felt like we accomplished something. I think I even worked harder. I'm really happy everyone made an effort (on a Friday morning no less) to make it.
Thursday, September 06, 2012
Max Recovery...nice! Even though this recovery is a little bit tough, it really felt good this morning! I've been a bit sore this week with the Max exercises starting back up, so the stretching and strength exercises felt good!!! It also helped keep me more even-keeled today at work. (I also spent my breaks watching the Biggest Loser Season Three which also helped inspire me and keep me relaxed.)
Now I am going to go to a nice spin class this evening for an hour and a half. I feel that I need the little bit of extra exercise to release whatever stress I have left from work. The extra exercise has been helping, and it's much better than if I started to eat comfort food!!
I hope everyone has a great evening!
Wednesday, September 05, 2012
For my current challenge, I've been asked to write five things that may have held me back from reaching my goals. It's funny how I can intellectually know what I've done wrong, but it's a whole other thing to act and correct those wrongs.
I actually started on SparkPeople when I was diagnosed, many years ago, with a thyroid problem. It took me a while to figure out what I needed to do to lose the weight I had gained and to keep it off once I finally got my medication somewhat right. (That's a whole other story, but suffice it to say I have little to no metabolism!) Bottom line, the only way I could lose weight was to be strict in monitoring my food and to exercise each and every day. However, after being a successful SparkPeople devotee, I got busy with life and work. I started to slack off. Then, three years ago, I shut myself off from the world (basically) so that I could be a caregiver. I stopped everything. In three years I gained over 65 pounds. Yikes!!
When I finally was able to focus on myself, I started the Insanity program. After the first round of being successful in losing some weight from the exercise program and food plan, I realized that I needed to keep this up for the rest of my life. Where else can I go to take back my life? That's why I'm back at SparkPeople...
Here are some things that have held me back:
1. Not tracking my food every day - I have found that if I track my food, I am very careful with what I eat. If I don't, I start to keep the tracking in my head, which isn't very accurate. Also, if I don't do it long enough, I don't even try to track it in my head. I just eat anything and everything!
2. Skipping cardio exercise - If I don't exercise first thing in the morning and put it off for an evening class or for something else later on, I find that I may end up skipping exercise for that day altogether. If I'm too tired from work (which is often), I just tell myself I'll do something additional the next day, but rarely do. I have to (and I mean medically have to) exercise at least 6 days a week. I need to have at least 60-90 minutes of high cardio every day. It's just how my body can get its metabolism moving a bit.
3. Skipping strength training - Another metabolism booster for my body. I need to do strength training at least 3 times a week or 6 days a week alternating upper and lower body. I also need to do some core training every day, not just 3 times a week. I have, in the past, put these kinds of workouts off because if I don't feel I have enough time, I will only do the cardio. I know I can make the time for this, I just need to do it.
4. Stress - I have a very stressful job at times. I tend to hold everything inside, and it eats away at me. I know that I need to relax more, but it's hard for me. I find that I am an emotional eater and will eat something to calm my stomach down (which is in knots from the stress). I'm trying to redirect those urges and do something else instead. I'm also meditating which helps immensely.
5. Lack of Sleep - I had been sleeping about 6 hours a night. However, I am a very light sleeper and am up several times throughout the night. So, maybe I got about 5 and a half hours of sleep really. Without sleep, my muscles and the rest of my body have no time to recover, and my metabolism slows down even more. This has been a big problem. Since I've started back, I have been very conscious of this and made sure I get the sleep I need.
Since all five of these items are things I need to work on to keep my body healthy, it's hard to pick just one thing to focus on. However, since I understand you need to start small and not get overwhelmed, I will work on everything, but really focus on the strength training. That is one area I really can slack off with, and I need it absolutely. So, I will focus my challenge on making sure I schedule and keep to three days a week of strength training and core work. I want to finish this challenge with strength training being as much a part of my life as cardio and food tracking.
Wednesday, September 05, 2012
Max Cardio Conditioning - Whew! Did I honestly think this was an easy workout??? For some reason, in my mind I had remembered this workout as an easy workout. Ha, ha! Did I get a rude awakening this morning!! Maybe I'm working harder or maybe my form is better, but I can honestly say this was one hard workout!!
After the short break and stretch, there is no break for the rest of the 45 minute workout. I can honestly say I did the complete workout without stopping, AND that I did everything high impact. So, maybe that's why it was so hard this morning. I know I didn't jump as much last time and I know my heart rate got so high last time, I must have taken breaks, so there is improvement somewhere. All I can say for sure, though, is I'm very tired!!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time SABRINASARAH Posts