Sunday, September 23, 2012
The Fall 5% Challenge hasn't even started yet, and already it's doing just what I hoped. My commitment to intentional exercise and creative extras is reSparked. I had to leave the house at 7 this morning--and still got in a 10 min SP video and some wakeup stretches . That was especially good, given that I'd had an insomnia fit in the middle of the night. I finally did get back to sleep, but was nowhere near ready to wake up when the went off at 6.
I'd planned breakfast the night before , remembering to include coffee with half & half between church services. After sleeping so poorly, this was a definitely a two cup morning. I sing in a professional choir and drive across the bay for an 8 AM rehearsal for 9:00 service, followed by 10:30 rehearsal for 11:15 service. I love it, but it's a really long morning. I stuck a small can of low sodium V8
in my choir bag to tide me over till lunch.
After shopping for groceries and food, it was past 2:00 when I got home. I made a nice discovery: 1/2 of a Publix cuban sandwich is 270 calories. And to think I use to snarf down a whole one easily at 540 calories. No wonder the pounds crept and . Yes, I admit I could still finish the whole thing, but--an important word--BUT I chose not to. With my V8, lunch was only 300 cal total. Actually 311. I forgot a couple of baby carrots.
Today's preliminary assignment is to clean out refrigerator and pantry and plan ahead for shopping. I've got a good start on it already. Can't wait for the real thing to begin!
65 snack #1
175 snack #2
1207 + 57 fitness minutes
Saturday, September 22, 2012
And for the coffee haters out there like my husband, there's cocoa "latte" for about 50 cal.
Almond milk 30-40 cal depending on brand
T cocoa powder 15 cal
pumpkin pie spice to taste
Friday, September 21, 2012
After a job interview this morning, I was sorely tempted to stop somewhere for a treat, an edible high calorie one--but didn't. Instead, I took the time to stroll around the lake at a small but beautifully landscaped retreat center on the bay. I stopped thinking about what I'd said, what I could have said better, and all the sorts of things that run around in one's mind after an interview. I noticed a small toad hopping into some undergrowth, heard and saw ducks and an anhinga (fresh-water cormorant relative) on the pond, and saw gulls, pelicans, and a sandpiper sitting on pilings, along with a couple of cormorants hanging their wings out to dry.
When I got home, I had an email from my daughter hoping the interview had gone well, and telling me about the pumpkin spice latte she'd had at work. I thought, "Hm. Don't I have a recipe in my collection for that?" Sure enough, there in my SparkRecipes was one for Pumpkin Spice Latte. My version cuts the calories in half by using almond milk instead of skim milk. Here it is:
1 c Almond Breeze almond milk - 40 cal
1/2 c strong coffee. I used DandyLion Blend, an herbal coffee substitute - 10 cal
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1 T pumpkin - 5 cal. Mine wasn't canned; it was the last small one from the garden.
1 packet Stevia
Delicious for only 55 calories!
END OF DAY:
105 snack #1
42 snack #2
1182 total + 51 fitness minutes
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Oops! Backtracking to do assignment #3 for fall 5% challenge.
Why do I want to lose weight and what do I expect?
1. I've been overweight long enough. But thanks be, I'm not obese anymore.
2. Heart disease runs in my family. I've been lucky so far with only moderately high BP. I'd like to be off BP med.
3. I want to be healthy and fit as I grow older and hope to avoid some age-related--read "sedentary lifestyle-related"--health problems.
4. Diabetes runs in husband's family. I want to keep him around for a long long time, and eating healthy together will help us both.
5. I want to wear medium sizes. It was really exciting to get rid of all the plus and x sizes in my closet. My body is meant to be a medium-sized body, and that's what I'd like to see in the mirror.
6. I like the way I feel when I consistently work out. I see a better toned, more fit, more flexible body.
7. I want to be able to do some physical things I can't do at this weight, like jump rope.
8. I've lost weight before a couple of times, but not all the way down to a sustainable healthy weight, and that's where SP gives me hope. Thanks to SP, challenges like this one, Sparkfriends and generous community support, it's goint to happen. I'm sticking with it unil I get there and then stay there.
1199 calories today:
43 snack #1
147 snack #2
Get An Email Alert Each Time SABLENESS Posts