Friday, September 21, 2012
After a job interview this morning, I was sorely tempted to stop somewhere for a treat, an edible high calorie one--but didn't. Instead, I took the time to stroll around the lake at a small but beautifully landscaped retreat center on the bay. I stopped thinking about what I'd said, what I could have said better, and all the sorts of things that run around in one's mind after an interview. I noticed a small toad hopping into some undergrowth, heard and saw ducks and an anhinga (fresh-water cormorant relative) on the pond, and saw gulls, pelicans, and a sandpiper sitting on pilings, along with a couple of cormorants hanging their wings out to dry.
When I got home, I had an email from my daughter hoping the interview had gone well, and telling me about the pumpkin spice latte she'd had at work. I thought, "Hm. Don't I have a recipe in my collection for that?" Sure enough, there in my SparkRecipes was one for Pumpkin Spice Latte. My version cuts the calories in half by using almond milk instead of skim milk. Here it is:
1 c Almond Breeze almond milk - 40 cal
1/2 c strong coffee. I used DandyLion Blend, an herbal coffee substitute - 10 cal
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1 T pumpkin - 5 cal. Mine wasn't canned; it was the last small one from the garden.
1 packet Stevia
Delicious for only 55 calories!
END OF DAY:
105 snack #1
42 snack #2
1182 total + 51 fitness minutes
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Oops! Backtracking to do assignment #3 for fall 5% challenge.
Why do I want to lose weight and what do I expect?
1. I've been overweight long enough. But thanks be, I'm not obese anymore.
2. Heart disease runs in my family. I've been lucky so far with only moderately high BP. I'd like to be off BP med.
3. I want to be healthy and fit as I grow older and hope to avoid some age-related--read "sedentary lifestyle-related"--health problems.
4. Diabetes runs in husband's family. I want to keep him around for a long long time, and eating healthy together will help us both.
5. I want to wear medium sizes. It was really exciting to get rid of all the plus and x sizes in my closet. My body is meant to be a medium-sized body, and that's what I'd like to see in the mirror.
6. I like the way I feel when I consistently work out. I see a better toned, more fit, more flexible body.
7. I want to be able to do some physical things I can't do at this weight, like jump rope.
8. I've lost weight before a couple of times, but not all the way down to a sustainable healthy weight, and that's where SP gives me hope. Thanks to SP, challenges like this one, Sparkfriends and generous community support, it's goint to happen. I'm sticking with it unil I get there and then stay there.
1199 calories today:
43 snack #1
147 snack #2
Monday, September 17, 2012
OK, folks, I'm gearing up for the start of the 8 week fall 5% challenge. At current weight, that's 9 lbs in 8 weeks.
1. 5 min stretch/strength training and 10 cardio at least 5 days a week
2. Use SP meal plans as a guide
3. Plan meals ahead and shop so I have on hand what I need
4. Try out one new recipe each week
5. Check in daily with my new teammates
That's all I'm listing. I know myself; it's too easy to get enthused and overcommit. I'd rather exceed all my basic goals than fail to meet more ambitious goals and get discouraged.
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
If you've done something toward reaching your goals today, stop right now, smile, and give yourself a pat on the back. When my girls were still at home, we said, "Pat pat"to one another as a short-hand way of saying well done; you deserve a pat on the back. So--Pat pat!
I've had a really really good day. I started out this morning with plans to meet a friend for breakfast. I ordered healthy fare and lots of coffee with about half the cream I usually use. There was a nice breeze, not quite as warm as it has been so we were outside.
We had a lot of catching up to do....A long while later, we realized it was past lunchtime, so we ordered again. I intended to take half my sandwich home, but succombed to turkey with avocado spread and ate the whole thing. However, I did ask for fruit instead of fries, stopped drinking coffee and switched to unsweetened iced tea.
3 PM and a very generous tip later. we finally left, feeling very happy that this was a rare day when we could spend that much time together talking about everything under the sun. (We go back a LONG way; we were in our teens when we met.)
When I went to my nutrition tracker, my calories were pretty hefty, thanks to that tasty sandwich. However, I figured I wasn't going to be hungry any time soon. I wasn't. I've had an evening snack and came out with 4 calories to spare! Pat pat!
Sunday, September 09, 2012
Whew! So much for Sundays being a day of rest. I've been on the go since early this morning. I LOVE singing in the choir of St John's Church. It's definitely worth the drive from one side of Tampa Bay to the other three times a week for two weeknight rehearsals and two Sunday services. I am sure I could legitimately count singing as exercise. Besides the singing itself, I should count the stairs from the time I enter the building to the time I exit after the last service.
From there, I treated myself to a stop at one of my favorite thriftshops. I found one of the two items I'm looking for, a catfood bowl, plus several things I didn't know I was looking for until I saw them. Fun!
Then off to the grocery store. I had three items on my mental list and came out with three bags. I justify that by what I might have written down if I'd sat down with the ad and a list.
Lunch didn't happen until 3:00. :-( I usually keep something in my choir bag, such as a small can of low sodium V8 and a Kashi bar, but my stash needs restocking. Hm. Put V8 down for next trip to the store. Needless to say, I was really hungry and overdid a bit, but hey, it was both lunch and snack calories, so at the end of the day, it'll all even out.
I just made Sweet Potato Stacks from a Publix recipe. I'd made it last week with the topping: bacon bits, crumbled bleu cheese, pecans, and white balsamic glaze. Husband and I decided we like it nearly as well without the topping, so for ourselves, I think we'll be having oven-roasted sweet potatos more often and save topping for company.
I have a women's group meeting here tomorrow night and am going to make No-Pudge Fudge Brownies. The mix calls for yogurt only, and I have some to use up from a potluck yesterday to which I brought strawberries and yogurt dip.
While baking and tidying up the kitchen, I remembered my Dancing In the Kitchen blog and started doing it again. Yes, it's possible to march in place while slicing vegetables. Just keep moving!
Get An Email Alert Each Time SABLENESS Posts