Thursday, August 23, 2012
My tiny senior cat, Miss Moppet (named after a Beatrix Potter kitten with big round eyes), was fine on Saturday, doing acrobatics on the top shelf of the treehouse, saying bad words to the two youngsters, and otherwise acting normal. But Sunday was another story. She spent the day on my bed and wouldn't come out for meals or treats. When we saw that she wasn't eating or drinking at all, I got her in to the vet Tuesday morning. All they could say for sure was that she was a bit dehydrated and gave her fluids. When her tests came back on Wednesday, the vet called to say that pancreatitis looked like a good possibility and to bring her in for more hydration and an antibiotic.
She looked so small and pitiful, and I was so sad to think I might be losing another cat after our Raven kitty died of kidney failure in March.
The vet had suggested I try feeding her soft kitten food with a syringe, and she kept down the little bit that I managed to get down her. By evening...WOOHOO...she came out and ate a few bits of dry food and later turned up for a treat or two. This morning I gave her some more kitten food, and her resistance was a little stronger. Again she's eaten a bit on her own. I'm still concerned about her getting enough water, should do some of that with syringe, too.
She's come out to lie on the back of the sofa and has been washing herself. It appears that she's feeling better and hopefully will continue to recover.
Update: Miss Moppet ate her dinner and wanted to play a little bit with her favorite feather. She IS a beautiful little thing. She's just under 7 lbs, loves to hang on my shoulder and nestle in my lap. Our other two cats are much bigger, but she says she is top cat anyway.
Monday, August 20, 2012
Hi, friends! This is so exciting. Four days ago, August 16th, marked one whole year of SparkPeople. No, I didn't reach the goal I'd first set of losing 50 lbs in a year, but I did make substantial inroads and established lots of good habits. Here's my report:
1. Managed to lose and keep off 29 lbs
2. Dropped two sizes
3. Cleaned out half my closet
4. Can now wear the other half
5. Wrote my first ever blog
6. Made my first ever online only friends
7. Discovered what a difference it makes to let myself by supported by community. I've always been a Little Red Hen type, as in "I will do it myself."
8. Discovered SP videos thanks to ROXYSMOM
9. Have gone from laughing at my first SP video attempts to actually being able to do them
10. Learned that I'm not nearly as good at estimating portion size as I thought I was
11. No Plus or X sizes in my wardrobe
12. Able to "shop" in drawers and closet for "new" clothes I haven't been able to wear in ages (there are still some of those, but not many)
13. Have learned a lot about what makes me vulnerable to overeating
14. Learning not to judge myself harshly for what I've done or not done. Believe me, this is a big one.
15. Learned to read those sneaky labels--and menus--very carefully after making several what I thought were good choices
16. Enjoyed very active vacations with stair-climbing, rock-climbing, hiking, & biking to an extent I couldn't previously do
17. Got out of pre-diabetic range back to normal
18. Got out of Obese range into Overweight. NEVER AGAIN.
19. Have tracked my food consistently even when the results weren't good
20. Have exercised at least 10 min daily since I started exercising about 6 wks into SP
21. Stuck with it for one whole year and am not about to stop now
THANK YOU, SparkGuy, for this marvelous FREE resource.
THANK YOU, Sparkfriends, for all the notes, messages, encouragement, support, goodies, and friendship. You are the best.
THANK YOU, dear friend BC and dear daughter AM, for telling me about SP. Wishing you both success here, too.
THANK YOU, dear husband, for never-failing kindness and support.
And...I guess I deserve my THANKS too. THANK YOU, Body, for responding to my efforts. THANK YOU, Mind, for motivating me to do something, even when I don't want to. THANK YOU, Spirit, for nudging me in a healthier direction with the words of Ignatius of Loyola,
"Our only desire and one choice should be this: I want and I choose what better leads to God/Godde's deepening life in me."
Saturday, August 11, 2012
Another day of packing food. I got rushed and had to just throw some things in, but I think I ended up with 1569, 19 cal over, but much better than if I hadn't planned at all.
:-) Lots of seated work today, so I stretched my shoulders and back often. Again at lunchtime, I walked the halls for more fitness minutes.
Long but good day--but not as long as expected, so I will be better rested to get up and go to choir early tomorrow morning.
What am I going to do to celebrate my upcoming one year Sparkversary?
Friday, August 10, 2012
I had to pack all my food today exccept breakfast. I was working at the county election office. Fortunately there were no sweets or treats except the sugar-free vanilla pudding and Dove chocolate I brought myself.
1311 total! Woohoo!
I even got in an extra 30 fitness minutes by walking briskly in the halls at lunchtime. It was much to hot to go out.
If I did it today, I can do it again tomorrow!
Get An Email Alert Each Time SABLENESS Posts