Tuesday, May 10, 2011
1. I can get my new project at work done EARLY. I began serious work on this book this morning, & it's so clean that I'm just breezing through. Such a contrast to my two recent projects, which were horrendous messes & couldn't be done by their deadlines!
2. I can get all my grading done in a reasonable time frame. Last night I played word games for a while, stalling--it just felt overwhelming to plunge in. But I finally made myself do it & got most of one person's work marked up. I do like teaching, & this kind of grading is a means of teaching--I make tracked changes "on top of" the student's editorial changes, & I inserted lots of comments explaining why I changed something or why the student's editing was off. I'll be working on it tonight too, & Wednesday & Thursday nights, & I expect to make good headway.
3. I could & did get my work office cleaned up yesterday! A lot of projects were piled up on my desk because I needed time to clear shelf space for them, which involves sorting through old projects to keep/file a few necessary pieces & recycle the rest. It was LOVELY to come in this morning & find everything tidy.
4. I can get back into the rhythm of morning exercise. I had been skipping it because I needed every spare minute to catch up on my work project--but that was temporary, because my body really does crave exercise. Yesterday I shredded, today I took a fast 2.5-mile walk. I'm a little sore, but it feels great!
5. I can be frugal. Instead of driving to St. Louis on Friday, I'm going to take the Megabus! It costs $60 round trip, which is less than I'd be paying for gas, even though my little Honda gets good gas mileage. This will also give me an extended time to read & work on a poem or two. Win-win!