Wednesday, March 19, 2008
* Worst Fast Food Meal: McDonald’s Chicken Selects Premium Breast Strips with creamy ranch sauce. Chicken sounds healthy, but not at 870 calories.
* Worst Drink: Jamba Juice Chocolate Moo’d Power Smoothie. With 166 grams of sugar, you could have had eight servings of Ben & Jerry’s.
* Worst Supermarket Meal: Pepperidge Farm Roasted Chicken Pot Pie. One pie packs 64 grams of fat.
* Worst “Healthy” Burger: Ruby Tuesday Bella Turkey Burger. With 1,145 calories, not a very healthy choice.
* Worst Airport Snack: Cinnabon Classic Cinnamon Roll. Packed with 813 hot gooey calories and 5 grams of trans fats.
* Worst Kids’ Meal: Macaroni Grill Double Macaroni ‘n Cheese. With 62 fat grams, it’s the equivalent of 1.5 full boxes of Kraft Mac ‘n Cheese.
* Worst Salad: On the Border Grande Taco Salad with Taco Beef. A salad with 102 grams of fat and 2,410 mg of sodium.
* Worst Dessert: Chili’s Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream. At 1,600 calories, it’s like eating the caloric equivalent of three Big Macs.
A great reminder of why we eat out seldom &, when we do, we choose NON-chain restaurants, usually some kind of Asian cuisine.
I think it's terribly irresponsible of these chain restaurants to design & market foods that are tantalizing but are making people unhealthy.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
I was able to get in to see my doctor this afternoon, & she sat & talked to me quite a while. We decided to increase my current medication for now (my dosage has been VERY low) & see whether that makes a difference. My recent insomnia is definitely related to the onset of menopause, but I don't want to go for hormone replacement therapy (estrogen/progesterone). My doctor says that in her experience, it only postpones the uncomfortable symptoms of menopause. And health risks are now recognized. So no to that. If increased Amitriptyline doesn't work, we'll try some of the newer sleep aids or perhaps a newer antidepressant.
I am hopeful that SOMETHING will work.
This evening I went to church to practice the readers' theater play we're doing for Good Friday. I am reading the part of Mary the mother of Jesus. Every time I read this play, alone or practicing with others, it makes me cry. So powerful.
Monday, March 10, 2008
I've been having to keep my nose VERY closely stuck to the grindstone in the last couple of weeks. I accepted a freelance project that is really long, which means that I have to devote all my Saturdays & numerous evenings after work to extra work at home. Fortunately it's a really fascinating book, & I'm being challenged & blessed as I work through it. (I would have said no to any other project of this length!) And we do need the $$.
Happily, I've found some time to exercise, though not as much as I'd like. And I'm maintaining my weight--which is not very hard to do when I'm home alone, as I have been the past week. However, my stepdaughter returns tonight & my husband on Friday, so our house won't be as quiet as it has been & there will be more temptations. I'll be glad to see them, though. :-)
Get An Email Alert Each Time RUTHXG Posts