Monday, February 04, 2008
I've been failing to get to bed on time for quite a while now, & consequently I haven't exercised for at least a week (except for that bit of snow shoveling on Saturday). My body really craves it.
Tomorrow is the Illinois primary, & I vote before work; Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, & we have guests coming that evening so I'm planning to attend an early morning "imposition of ashes" service. So it looks as if I'll have to wait to resume morning exercise till Thursday.
I will try hard to get to bed by 10:45 tonight & tomorrow, though, so that by then I'll have gotten back into a proper pattern of rest.
Sunday, February 03, 2008
Right now I just have too much to do, & decisions about priorities aren't completely up to me. That's normal when you have a family & a job, of course.
Today I wanted to tie up my responsibilities as 2007 treasurer for our condo association, but I ran into a snag--one of the residents & I had miscalculated some months ago, & it took quite a while for me to figure out that he actually owes the association quite a bit, rather than being paid up as we'd thought. Glad the mistake was his as much as mine! But after I had untangled that little mess, I needed to put the books aside & rest my brain.
Then my husband & I spent a LONG time out running errands, much longer than I had expected. Exhausting because at a couple of grocery stores there was hardly any parking & then there were long, long checkout lines. Saturday shopping is a pain. But we did find a nice health food store that a friend recommended, where you can measure out grains, legumes, nuts, herbs, & other things--e.g., coconut, sesame seeds, sea salt--in the quantities you want rather them buying them prepackaged. Very helpful for the eating-from-scratch style that we're trying to maintain most of the time.
Last night I had said we needed to do something fun tonight--it had been too long. So we took my stepdaughter for a long-promised treat: dinner at one of our favorite Vietnamese restaurants. So, so good. I think what we all loved the most there was the soup: clear broth with a hint of tamarind & catfish, okra, tomato slices, bean sprouts, celery, lemongrass, hot peppers, & a little pineapple. What an amazing combination. The veggies were obviously added at the last minute, because they were still slightly crisp rather than soft. We have to find a recipe! So nutritious & delicious.
We still have so much snow in our alley that when we got home we had to shovel a bit before we could get the car into the garage. So I did end up getting a little exercise today.
What I didn't get done AT ALL today: freelance work. It makes me a little anxious . . . I'm thankful that Sunday won't be crammed with activity; I don't do paid work on that day but try to observe it as a sabbath. Hopefully it will help me clear my mind & let the anxious thoughts go.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
This morning I weighed 144! I hadn't been that low in nearly 4 years. So even though my sleeping is still off (more early-morning insomnia today, though I got to bed at a good time) & consequently I'm not exercising beyond my brisk commuter trekking through the cold, the good eating habits I established are still producing results.
Today I tucked my shirt into my 10L slacks. :-)
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
The last week or so has been more stressful than usual for me--a combination of the cold weather, financial close calls, things breaking, urgent deadlines & consequent late nights, & a lack of emotional support (from the friends I had dinner with the other night, & at times from my husband).
But God has been good. I want to give thanks for a few specific encouragements:
1. My husband & I have been monitoring our spending & income very carefully & are making changes that will make a difference.
2. I have several good freelance projects in hand.
3. My husband has some specific plans for getting more work of his own.
4. The client whose job I finished on MLK Day reviewed it quickly, was very happy with it, & sent my check immediately! PLUS her first book, which I edited, won a prize in England!
5. The volunteer advocacy project that took up a lot of our time this last week is done & came out really well. The local team that has come together to work on this issue has consolidated & will continue to take on projects.
6. Target.com is going to replace the long johns I had ordered for my stepdaughter to keep her from freezing during her first Chicago winter--the original order has been languishing in the Chicago Post Office (the worst in the country, seriously) for well over a week. The new package is supposed to arrive in two days. What a relief.
7. The poetry workshop I attended Sunday was really, really good. Lots of strong poets have been attending, & I'm inspired.
8. Last night I completed my report & invoice for the poetry workshop that I facilitate (it's a peer workshop; I don't "teach," just help keep things running smoothly). I'm thankful that I'll get my stipend soon, & that the Poetry Center is happy with my work & has asked me to facilitate the next round too.
9. The garage door was repaired today--yay!
10. My niece & her fiance finally set a wedding date, & she called this morning to let us know when it is & see if we can attend. You can bet I will--which means another southern California trip this summer, yay! I always love going there to visit my two sisters & their families.
More than "a few" thanksgivings, it turns out. Yay!
My focus for the next few evenings will be to get back into my bedtime-between-10:30-&-11 rhythm, so that I can get rested again & resume morning exercise. Stress begone!
Get An Email Alert Each Time RUTHXG Posts