Wednesday, January 14, 2009
(from the BLC daily email)
There are so many benefits to daily activity, and they affect much more than your physical appearance. Here 10 great reasons to stay active.
1. People who exercise live longer, on average, than people who don't.
2. Active people have a lower risk of dying from heart disease and stroke, and they're less likely to get high blood pressure.
3. The more active you are, the lower your risk of colon cancer.
4. The less active you are, the higher your risk of getting type 2 diabetes. If you already have type 2 diabetes, exercise can lower your blood sugar levels.
5. In people with arthritis, moderate exercise helps reduce joint swelling and pain and improves mobility.
6. Strength-building exercise helps counter bone loss.
7. Exercise makes you functionally fit, meaning that it's easier for you to carry groceries, do chores and independently perform many other activities of daily life.
8. Because of the calming effect of exercise, active people are less depressed, and depressed people often feel better after they start exercising.
9. Exercise can save you money. If you can prevent serious and costly medical conditions such as heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis, you will have more money for your other needs.
10. Exercise can be fun! Many of the activities you did for play as a child count as exercise. Dancing fast, walking your dog, bicycling and gardening, all strengthen your heart and lungs.