Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Monday I mowed the lawn and dug out a bucket of weeds, both before and after the mowing. Tuesday I spent three hours with the pressure sprayer and cleaned off five sections of the sidewalk and did a few other things I can't remember. Today I spent two and a half hours cleaning the driveway, from the street to half way to the garage, and also did three sections of sidewalk. Tomorrow, with luck, I will finish the driveway. The whole thing was enlightening in that the part that I thought was clean really needed to be cleaned. As soon as it gets wet it gets a lot darker, and the dirt that comes off doesn't just float away - it turns into black sediment as if you were panning for black gold dust. I'll have to hose the whole area down if a blower won't get rid of it. I have both sand and black dirt on the concrete in some places.
I took a couple of pictures trying to catch the bees at work, but they didn't turn out well. I know there are bees around, but they hardly ever show in the pictures I take - either because I can't see them or because they are all hidden. There were a couple of dozen on the little Meyer Lemon, and hundreds of them swarming on the avocado tree. I also took a couple of pictures of the fence to satisfy anyone who wants to see it. Of course, I didn't take any pictures of the fence in progress, which would have been much more impressive.
The impressive thing to me is the dirty white shoes I now have - they're not just wet, they're dark gray.
This is the lemon three's best picture.
This is the best avocado tree picture. There is a bee in it.
This is one of four of this area of the tree, and the only one I know shows a bee. It's in the upper right corner of the picture.
This is a cropped corner of the picture, so the bee looks bigger.
And this is a picture of the fence (before I cut the weeds).
And this is a before picture of our sidewalk - you can see the difference between ours (the dark one) and Rob's, which he cleaned a year ago. Our house was built in 1986, and the pollution has been accumulating for 25 years. The porch floor is pretty clean, and things get progressively dirtier as you get away from the house.
PS - I just looked at Sunday's blog, and I guess I don't know what I did Monday. It's a lost day at this point.
Sunday, March 20, 2011
The fence does look new, and I dug weeds for a half hour and mowed both the front and back lawns today. The grape trellis took a little more effort, but I'll get used to it. Now that we have a new toy, I realize that Rob (neighbor to the west) cleaned his sidewalk and driveway, so his concrete looks white an mine is all dark. I guess the sidewalk and driveway will be the next chore.
Both hands were stiff and sore when I woke up this morning. It's a lot of years since I worked in a steel mill, and I might be getting older, too.
So far, I have been eating cereal, soup, and fruit today, it's past suppertime, getting dark, and I'm not hungry. The BW was busy planting a bunch of flowers under the bay window, and I think I need to put away the hose. I don't think we will have supper tonight - maybe a snack later.
Friday, March 18, 2011
I saw my cardiologist yesterday, and he said to just keep taking the Atenolol and I would live forever, which was a relief. I was afraid that he was going to want to do another catherization. Then I weighed in in leeway.
Today I finally got the pressure sprayer out of the box, and couldn't get the detergent tank out of the body of the sprayer, so I had to call the help line to see if brute force was needed. It was. After that all was well until I tried to spray without the detergent, and couldn't get any water through the thing. After reading the entire book all over again, and trying every possible problem fix, I called again. It turns out the quick disconnect has a backflow preventer, and I had installed it backwards. Then it worked.
I had started on a rocker, but the BW came out and before I could go on I had to do two white plastic chairs and the bird bath. She got in on the second chair, and was cutting away at the sidewalk when I told her to just let me know when she was done - at which point she told me to take it. I offered to set it up for her whenever she wanted to mess around out front.
Then I started on the fence. I used the detergent by spraying it over the dark patches, then hit the fence with clear water. I did about two thirds of the back fence in three hours, and finally realized that I had wasted eleven dollars when I bought the detergent. The way this thing cleans is to abrade the dirt away. If I get too close I can make groves in the wood, and have to be careful to keep the spray at a shallow angle, just as the book says. The manufacturer claims 30 degrees is good, but it's hard to keep it at that angle all the time. The net result is that it's sort of work, but the area I cleaned looks like a new fence. I would guess there's another six hours left if I do all the fence.
Get An Email Alert Each Time REXTINE1 Posts