REJ7777   67,278
60,000-79,999 SparkPoints
REJ7777's Recent Blog Entries

Today's walk on the Cherry Tree Swamp trail

Saturday, June 12, 2010

No hiking today. Just a long, pleasant walk on the Cherry Tree Swamp trail. A wooden trail was built over the swamps. The trail continues through the surrounding forest. Next year, they plan to build a multi-million-dollar eco-center there. I wonder if it will remain as accessible and free as it is now. Probably not. emoticon

Wooden bridge trail over the swamp

Me on the bridge

Where the trail enters the woods

Trail in the woods

My walking buddy

Swamp with water lilies

This water lily will be opening soon

Other flowers in the swamp

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

NEXTYEAR 6/13/2010 9:56AM

    I can't imagine it being any more lovely! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARENAMOO 6/13/2010 8:59AM

    I am all for education - especially environmental education. But you have to wonder about building in a fragile environment and potentially limiting access to the wild, nature aspect of that habitat - to teach about protecting that area. Huh!

I see you are sharing picture duty! I love the picture of the water lily - I don't think that I ever say one like that blooming.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JUST_TRI_IT 6/13/2010 1:19AM

    I so enjoy "walking" with you. You have a knack for capturing the essence of your walks and sharing them with us. THANK YOU!


Report Inappropriate Comment
APRILLSCOTT 6/13/2010 12:24AM

    Such a peaceful walk! I would love to visit Canada one day! This is the next best thing to that! emoticon country side!
Hope next week is productive and wonderful for you! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
JENNY_BILLOT 6/12/2010 10:02PM


Report Inappropriate Comment

Today's walk on Mount Belleview

Friday, June 11, 2010

There were dark clouds out and droplets of rain on the windshield as we headed out to Mount Belleview this afternoon. We decided to brave the elements. emoticon As it turned out, the weather was fine. We met a really nice mother with her toddler and baby sitting on a huge rock. We offered to take their photo, which I just e-mailed to them.

I'm usually the one taking photos, so there may be more photos of my sister than of me in my blogs. But I got a special request to have my sister take photos of me on the trail, so here they are.

I always look forward to sharing my photos with my Sparkfriends. Thank you for caring!

Enjoying my walk

Avoiding a mud puddle

A look back for the camera

A partridge we encountered during our walk


  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

NEXTYEAR 6/12/2010 7:14PM

    Your walks are so inspiring! emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LJCANNON 6/11/2010 11:39PM

    Someday we will all be glad we have these Photos and Memories of our Journeys. I hate having my picture taken as much as anybody, but I am glad now that I have the Photo Record of my Journey.

It does look as if you and your sister had a good time and did the right thing in braving the elements.

Report Inappropriate Comment
DEBRITA01 6/11/2010 10:42PM

    emoticon You don't let the threat of rain emoticon you...that's what I call dedication. I enjoyed your photos of your hike through the woods. It reminds me of our local Merrill Creek Reservoir with the trails through the mountain.

Like you, I am often the photographer (I don't like my photo taken) and I'm hardly in any photos. Future generations will wonder, "what did Grandma Debbie look like?" so, I've been making an effort to show my face in some of the You look like you're having a good time on your walk.

Thanks for sharing your hike with us!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARENAMOO 6/11/2010 8:03PM

    My husband is the picture taker. I remember when I was 8 months pregnant carrying my 22 month old toddler and a suitcase - walking up the steps into a plane (parked on the tarmac). My husband was behind me with the video-camera filming our departure from a vacation. The stewardess started yelling at him for letting me carry everything - his defense was he wanted to get it on film. Point is that sometimes it is better to be the taker not the subject.

Looks like a grand time - have your sister be the picture taker more often!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ANDI571 6/11/2010 7:14PM

    I love the pictures. I am like you, always the picture taker. It never looks like I vacation with the rest. But there again, I don't like my pics and usually delete them.

I love your mountains.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Caught in the rain

Monday, June 07, 2010

We were so glad to be able to hike again after being indoors for two days because of the (much needed) rain. We found a cute little trail at Mount Bellevue that we'd never hiked on before. It's fun because at first we were really sticking to the main trail, but now we're discovering more challenging trails off the beaten path. This afternoon's forecast was 40% chance of rain - that means 60% chance it won't rain! We've just missed too many walks "in case it rains"! We hiked for about 3 hours in the best possible weather but it rained for the last 20 minutes or so. We were grateful for the partial shelter provided by the canopy of trees and were very glad to get back to the car. emoticon

Lovely little trail but rather muddy after 2 days of rain

My sister scouting the trail - right, left or straight ahead?

As peaceful as it is beautiful

Enjoying the hike (I'm the photographer.)

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CAWESTY 6/11/2010 4:35PM

    Such beauty and peace! You are blessed. Thank you for sharing with us!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARENAMOO 6/10/2010 5:17PM

    You are well on your way to "probational hiker". I do believe that 3 hour hikes in the rain and off the beaten muddy path is on the list of requirements and you can check those off. Looks lovely.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JUST_TRI_IT 6/8/2010 11:50PM

    Lovely walks... 3 hours?!?!? WOW!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RED_RIDING_HOOD 6/8/2010 2:12PM

    Beautiful pictures, it shows such calm and serenity, happy for you to have the opportunity to enjoy it.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ANDI571 6/8/2010 11:30AM

    I love your pictures. I have a hard time getting 2 miles in walking around the neighborhood, but you give me a setting like that, I can walk forever. Keep the pics coming, they make my day. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
KASEYCOFF 6/8/2010 4:25AM

    The greenery of this trail is so pretty, soft and cool - you do a great job with the photos. (p.s. Get your sister to take one of you on the trail!)

Report Inappropriate Comment
PENNYAN45 6/7/2010 11:23PM

    It is a very peaceful setting -- and very beautiful!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BUGGYS 6/7/2010 7:23PM

    Love your hiking blogs!!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Walk on Mount Belleview and at Blanchard Park

Friday, June 04, 2010

The forecast for the weekend is rain, so my sister and I decided to get all the walking in that we could today. First we hiked some trails on Mount Belleview and then went for a leisurely walk at Blanchard Park. I'm kinda sore from all that hiking/walking (my pedometer says 25,852 steps today), but I'm really happy with all we got done. I'll be GLAD to stay in tomorrow. emoticon

That huge tree trunk in the back looks like a grumpy old man.

I couldn't believe how close this small squirrel let us get to it.

We are surrounded by so much natural beauty when hiking in the woods.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

NEXTYEAR 6/6/2010 6:59AM

    Thank you for sharing your hikes. They are so beautiful! shirley

Report Inappropriate Comment
PERSISTANT123 6/5/2010 11:06PM

    I loved your pictures and your descriptions. Thanks for sharing!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LJCANNON 6/5/2010 12:51AM

    I love your Hikes. I wish I knew of Hiking Trails around here.
Keep posting these pictures.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ANDI571 6/4/2010 10:57PM

    I love your pictures. That is the only way to walk.

It was hot and humid today, so we sat today out. I only had 4140 steps for the whole day. I sat on the front porch all evening just watching the cars go by. I didn't do a darn thing. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Today's walk in the old Beckett woods

Monday, May 31, 2010

I'd been told that there were nice walking paths in the Beckett woods, but I'd never been there. Today, my sister and I decided to go explore those woods. It's a very old forest with a haunting quality about it because of it's age.

Old tree and rock structures called Inuksuit

Old trees by the path

Walking through old roots - and sometimes tripping over them

If this knarled old tree could talk, I'll bet it could tell a tale or two.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

JUST_TRI_IT 6/3/2010 9:07AM

    The gnarls in the trees are incredible. Makes one want to sit and draw them ... They tell a good story.

Report Inappropriate Comment
NEXTYEAR 6/1/2010 2:39PM

    Loved the walk!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ANDI571 6/1/2010 10:18AM

    Again, love the pictures. You make me feel like I am on vacation.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARENAMOO 6/1/2010 9:10AM

    I get a distinct haunting feeling from these woods also - almost a spiritual ancient growth sense. You can almost imagine long ago Indian tribes moving gracefully through. The last tree looks like a prop for Harry Potter or something - slightly sinister and old.

Too cool all the places you get to walk - thank you for sharing.

Report Inappropriate Comment
APRILLSCOTT 6/1/2010 2:30AM

    I loved this walk! I loved the beautiful trees! Boy, those roots are hugh! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
PERSISTANT123 5/31/2010 9:15PM

    I loved walking through Beckett Woods with you! Thanks for the pictures!

Report Inappropriate Comment

First Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Last Page