Friday, July 20, 2012
I am in need of advice. Having added eggplant to my garden this year, I now am in need of tasty recipes for this veggie. I am aware that SP has a recipe site, but I want to be sure that someone REALLY adores their recipe before I waste time, energy, and eggplant on the mission! I have two eggplants that are almost ready to pick, and I would like any suggestions for ways to prepare them. I have tried eggplant lasagna, which was pretty decent, but I need another recipe or two. Also, do you peel the dark outer layer or not? Any advice would be appreciated!
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Don't get me wrong... I don't want to complain. However, I will do just that. I have been unable to go to work for the past month because my husband has been ill. I am tired of being homebound. Even though I love my husband and I do not mind helping him, this staying at home all day has caused me to feel like a prisoner in my own home! I don't feel inspired to exercise AND all I want to do is EAT. Please pray that his health will improve, and I can get out more!
Friday, July 08, 2011
I knew that menopause caused grumpiness, but I was unaware of some other little factors which have cost me much needless worry and money this past year.
I was teaching a class of eighth-graders this past Spring when I felt my chest pounding, and I felt sickly weird. My first thought was that I was having a heart attack, and was going to pass out. I imaginied it would be like a scene from Gulliver's Travels where the Lilliputians (in this case, the class of 8th graders) left me on the floor and proceeded to go wild! I would not be found until the janitor came by in the afternoon to sweep my classroom.
After barely surviving that class, I literally ran to see the school nurse. She took my blood pressure, and found it ot be 170 over 103. Okay, high blood pressure... not a heart attack. From there, I went to the ER (my over-protective husband forced me to go). After noting an irregular heart beat, they sent me to a cardiologist. After an EKG and a stress test, he put me on blood pressure meds, but said my heart looked fine. The mystery continued.
I was having memory issues, and still wondering what was happening to make me fall apart all at once, when a friend suggested it was a hormone deficiency. After going to the gynocologist, he agreed it WAS a lack of estrogen causing everything from the high blood pressure... to the forgetrfulness... to the lack of energy... to the inability to lose weight...to the feeling like I was going crazy! Who'd have thought that hormones would be SO powerful?
After a couple of months on hormones, I can now remember better, feel better, and... I can NOW lose weight again!
Don't end up paying needless amounts of money like I did! If you are in your 40's-50's, keep a check on your hormones! This is YOUR wake-up call!
Saturday, October 30, 2010
Okay, here I am ALMOST back to "Square One." I had lost 40 pounds, and I was feeling great. Now, I have gained all but 10 pounds of it back. My ankles are beginning to scream! My back is starting to complain! I am feeling O-L-D and heavy again.
Four weeks ago, I paid $20 to join "The Biggest Loser" game that is being played by the faculty and staff at the school where I work. The rules include paying the initial money, and then paying one dollar for each pound or fraction of a pound that you gain. The "winners" (top 3) of this 11 week "game," will receive portions of the entrance fee money. Why can't I get inspired?
Fortunately, I have not had to pay any money for gaining weight, but I am growing dissatisfied with my apathy. Oh well, another week.... another weigh-in. WIll I have to pay this week.... or next week? Who cares?
I DO want to lose weight, but it is almost as if I am feeling that I need to lose it on my own terms.... NOT just to win a small sum of money..... NOT just to gain acceptance of people I encounter.....
I want to lose weight because I want to feel, look, and be healthier. My INspiration needs to come from INside me. I am important; I MUST take the time and energy to help ME. My INspiration needs to come from withIN.
Ahhhhh, I have needed this talk with myself.... for about four weeks!
Where does YOUR inspiration come from? Do you have PEP Talks with yourself?
Friday, June 18, 2010
I am a teacher who has her summer off. I have plenty of time to exercise each day, but I find myself NOT doing it. Why is this happening? I mean, I can find time for Facebook and SparkPeople, but why is there no time to exercise? There IS time to exercise, but I am being bummed out by serveral factors:
1. My husband was laid off from his job in January.
2. I did not get hired to teach summer school. I have taught summer school for the past three years, but the economic downturn caused fewer teachers to be hired.
3. I love to cook and eat.
4. My microwave died. :o( I had already given away an extra microwave that I had.
5. I tell myself that I haven't gained too much weight.
6. I tell myself there are people who look worse than me.
7. I went to my neice's college graduation (outside in the baking sun), and she totally ignored me. She nearly knocked me over to hug other family members after the graduation was over. In fact, she hugged everyone there but my husband and me. My feelings are hurt.
8. My daughter is moving back home to take some courses at a local college, even though she has already graduated from college. While I love my daughter, this will be more cooking, cleaning, etc.
9. My older son decided to quit college.
10. My younger son ended up making a less than honorable final grade in Honors Geometry.
1. My husband had a promising job interview today.
2. When I did not get hired for summer school, I was inspired to apply for an expanded capacity job within the school where I work. I DID get hired for this job, and I will now be a Mentor Teacher for my school!
3.I have a beautiful garden so I can cook healthy food that I know has no pesticides!
4.I have a grill, gas cooktop, and an oven that DO work.
5.I don't have as much weight to lose as I did before I started SparkPeople.
6.There will always be people in better shape, and people in worse shape than me. I need to focus on what's best for my health, and NOT dwell on whether there are others in worse shape.
7.My niece might have been caught up in the moment; she WAS rather excited. She might not have intentionally meant to offend my husband and me. Again, I cannot worry about other people's behavior... only my behavior. I will make a conscious effort NEVER to make anyone feel the way I felt on her graduation day.
8. My daughter has decided to fill in the gaps from her previous degree in Psychology to enable her to attempt to get into Medical School to become a doctor!
9. My son has joined the Navy where he will have a job AND he will continue his college degree while he is in the Navy!
10. My younger son did not fail any courses in his first year in high school. In fact, he took ALL honors courses, and made 4 A's and 4 high B's, in addition to the one low grade on Honors Geometry.
11. I feel God's guidance in my life. I am blessed with a wonderful husband and three great "kids."
12. I have found MORE positives than negatives... by just taking this moment to evaluate the pros and cons that are facing me. WOO HOO!
Get An Email Alert Each Time REINOVPH Posts