Monday, October 25, 2010
Wow. I just tried to leave a comment on someone's blog, and Spark censored me. I wasn't saying anything negative, just using the words that were used in the conversation. It took me a couple of tries before I realized why my comment wasn't saving. Then I had to figure out what words were causing the message because it really wasn't obvious to me. So lesson learned, Spark is watching! Be careful what you say. LOL!
Saturday, October 23, 2010
I was so disappointed yesterday. I had to be honest with myself and leave that "exercise for 10 minutes" box unchecked. I had a pretty good streak going, but honestly.. yesterday I did not exercise at all. Today luckily I got 20 minutes of walking in. Not fast walking, but still something. We had a short break before we had to be at my grandmother's service and I took us to an empty parking lot and let my daughter ride her bike. 20 minutes of walking/chasing her around the lot to make sure she didn't crash etc. Yay! I'll take it.
At the dinner reception thing my husband flat out refused to eat. He doesn't eat well in social situations anyway, but it always annoys me when he refuses to touch the food. I don't know why. My daughter started off on a salt attack but then switched to fruit. She steered clear of all the sandwiches since she doesn't like mayonnaise and turned her nose on all the desserts (is she really my kid??)
I went for a more balanced approach and I think I came out okay. I started my morning at home with a healthy breakfast of my morning coffee, Total cereal, and 2% milk. Then for lunch I had egg and ham on a croissant and more coffee (not good but...) at Dunkin Donuts. This was a bit of a sketchy choice. We were going to go to Panera, but daughter hates Panera and she really wanted Dunkin. I knew she'd eat well there and I knew she wouldn't eat much later in the day so I allowed it. I have not gotten the courage up to order one of their egg white sandwiches or their wraps. Something tells me they taste yucky and I haven't been brave enough to try them. So healthy breakfast, salty lunch... reception was going to be tricky. At the reception I limited myself to one bad finger roll and 1/2 deviled egg. Then I had a few celery and carrot sticks and a couple of crackers. I managed to fill my plate by spreading things out so it looked like I was eating a full meal. I was very nervous coming home to the nutrition tracker tonight. However when I plugged it all in I was actually okay on my calories. Skipping the chips and dips, and cider paid off. The sandwich and 1/2 deviled egg (plus the croissant sandwich at lunch) were bad ideas and I knew it, but it didn't kill me.
Also on the way home we drove through McDs because my daughter was starving of course. Still my hubby refused to eat. :-( I got a salad and brought it home. It's in the refrigerator for tomorrow so I'll have no excuse not to eat a healthy lunch tomorrow. :-)
I don't know if I'll have more visits with the relatives tomorrow or not. I kind of think not, but we'll see. I am glad that these past 2 weeks are OVER, and I'm hoping to move on with my life at least a little bit. Halloween and some birthdays are coming up and I want to get back to my walking and strength training too.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
For Spark, a Getting to Know you thing--
1. What time did you get up this morning? 6:15am
2. How do you like your steak? medium rare
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? I have no idea. Itís been so long since Iíve gone.
4. What is your favorite TV show? We canceled our tv this summer. I used to be a ďSurvivorĒ fan. Also liked the travel network, food network, history, and biographies. Canít stand sit-coms.
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Wherever my family is.
6. What did you have for breakfast? coffee and a peanut butter sandwich and a banana. Not the best, but I was in a hurry.
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Italian I guess, but I donít get to eat it much.
8. What foods do you dislike? liver and onions! :-)
9. Favorite Place to Eat? Ruby Tuesdayís for the salad bar, or Bubís Barbecue (although the calories there would kill my healthy eating plan)
10. Favorite dressing? French, but Iíll settle for Italian, Parm peppercorn, or honey mustard.
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? My husband and I share a Honda Element.
12. What are your favorite clothes? t-shirt and jeans
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? Depends - am I filling it or drinking from it? ;)- I think this is a good answer, not going to change it.
15. Where would you want to retire? My fatherís farm.
16. Favorite time of day? Sunrise, but I'm too lazy to see it. Snuggling in bed on a Saturday or Sunday morning with my daughter and hubby is more realistic.
17. Where were you born? Massachusetts
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? I don't watch sports since we don't have tv, but sometimes I'll admit to watching baseball, basketball, or football (New England teams of course!)
19. How many siblings? 1 adopted half-brother about 9-10 years younger
20. Favorite pastime/hobby? reading, writing, wasting time on the computer, baking, spending time with my daughter and husband. Love to travel and do road trips too, but money and work get in the way. :-)
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? Nobody in particular, just for fun.
22. Bird watcher? Maybe when I retire.
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Iíve done both. Between midnight-5am I am not a lot of fun to know.
24. Do you have any pets? Not currently. Iím a cat person, but my hubby is allergic. My husband is a dog person, but Iím allergic. Weíre hoping to get some fish in a few months.
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? None that I haven't already.
26. What did you want to be when you were little? I wanted to work with kids or animals. I mostly thought of being a teacher or a school psychologist. Later I wanted to open a shelter for kids lost animals. Save them all! :-)
27. What is your best childhood memory? Anything outdoors. Camping and the beach with my mom, working on the farm with my dad.
28. Are you a cat or dog person? Cat!
29. Are you married? Yep. Celebrated 7 years in August.
30. Always wear your seat belt? Yep.
31. Been in a car accident? Several, including one where I put my car in the river after a drunk came at me head-on. He never stopped and my insurance went up as a result. So unfair!
32. Any pet peeves? Donít we all!
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Almost anything except anchovies, spinach, and/or pepperoni
34. Favorite Flower? wild ones
35. Favorite ice cream? vanilla bean if it's good. Like all ice cream though. Used to love black raspberry and coffee ice creams when I worked at Friendly's.
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Is Panera fast food? McDs seems to be the most kid-friendly.
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? None
38. From whom did you get your last email? I get a lot of email. Probably something work related.
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Target!!
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? Hmm.. spontaneous, yes, interesting? No!
41. Like your job? Most days, yes. Like the work, don't always like the politics.
42. Broccoli? upsets my stomach
43. What was your favorite vacation? All of them!
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? my husband and daughter, last night, McDonaldís
45. What are you listening to right now? people talking at work.
46. What is your favorite color? pink and purple, blue too.
47. How many tattoos do you have? None. Canít stand needles. No piercings either in case you are wondering.
48. How many people will fill this out? No clue
49. What time did you finish this quiz? 1:15pm
50. Coffee drinker? Yes !!
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
I haven't figured out how to survive Dunkin Donuts yet, but I've figured out how to survive McDonald's.
If we are going to McDonald's for a sit-down meal then I order the Southwest Grilled Chicken salad. This seems to come with a dressing or something already added but the counter person is usually clueless and will offer a dressing. I take the light Italian and bring it home. If I'm thirsty I get water or a coffee. Soda is not part of my diet so I avoid it. The Southwest Grilled Chicken is very filling and delicious, and it doesn't put me over my sodium or fat levels. Right now it's my favorite thing on the menu.
If we are doing drive-thru (not healthy I know, but time efficient sometimes needed) then I order a plain hamburger, and maybe a small order of fries. This is going to be about 500 calories, and it might put me over my fat or sodium levels. I have to know that. Sometimes I will just get the hamburger and then when we get home I will have another snack to fill up. Again, I order water or hot coffee. Never iced coffee! They pump a lot of calories into the iced coffee so you have to be careful. By getting the hamburger plain, or plain with pickles, or plain with mustard even I am avoiding the sodium and calories in the ketchup at least. Plus I'm not ordering the larger portion, and larger calories of the bigger sandwiches.
Surprisingly chicken nuggets are another healthy option. They are probably better than a plain hamburger, but I don't like them plain. I need ketchup and that makes it not a car food for us.
Tonight I had the salad that I mentioned, and then I had 2 more chicken nuggets. I didn't have a beverage at all, although I should have had some water. When I got home I found that I was still below my calories for the day. I was above my sodium thanks to other choices that I had made during the day (light soup) but I had room for a bowl of healthy cereal with milk for a last-minute dessert. Yay!
So if you are watching your calories, but still need to eat fast food occasionally, then you can still eat at McDonald's if you choose your meal carefully. :-)
Get An Email Alert Each Time REBECCAMA Posts