Tuesday, April 26, 2011
I've come a long way from my January goals. I feel the need to check in on them, after nearly 4 months.
1. Marathon running: I've sustained my first significant injury (to me at least), and I'm coming out the other side now. I'm not back to perfect yet, but I'm getting much better. I was running a 7K on 3/19, and sustained a calf tear a 1/4 mile from the finish. I walked across the finish, very bummed. I've rested, iced, compressed, elevated, massaged, etc etc. I always got discouraged by lesser injuries, but I've kept up with my gym class through all of this. I recognize this as a MAJOR victory. And I'll miss my 6/5 half marathon, but the October marathon is still very possible.
2. Wardrobe: I'm not sure who said this first: "Dress the body you have now". I went and got some cute clothes, in the same size I was in January, and I'm feeling much better. Actually, I got rid of some of the clothes I had when I was at my thinnest. I give some of the credit for this to Beatricebunny. She inspires me, whether she knows it all the time or not.
3. Liking how I look now: it's a challenge, I won't lie. The lifting I'm doing now gives me great arms, and that does help.
4. Energy: my energy level is way up, despite the scale not having budged. Victory here!
5. Nope, still not pregnant. Not stressing over it, at this point.
Overall, I think I'm in a better place than January, even though the scale is the same. Onward!
Saturday, January 15, 2011
A friend wrote about her motivations in wanting weight loss. I think honesty in this allows better focus. It's OKAY to say that I want to look attractive. So here are my most recent motivations for a healthier lifestyle:
1. I want to run a marathon this year. The feeling during running my half last year was just utter fear that I wouldn't come in under the time limit. Less weight will speed me up and make that easier.
2. I want to get in my cute, one-size-down professional wardrobe. I don't want to go buy more.
3. When I am 20 lbs lighter, my boobs look bigger, and my backside looks better. Last time I was that weight, I LIKED how my body looked, and LOVED my curves.
4. I have more energy when I exercise and eat well. This is independent of weight loss.
5. Preparation for a healthy pregnancy, some time in the future. No, I'm not pregnant now. When I am, I want to start healthy, and keep it up during and afterwards.
Thursday, December 30, 2010
I feel like a broken record, but I usually don't post when things are going well. After the half marathon in October, I stopped working out as religiously. My nutrition barely held together until mid-December, and then it went downhill. I find myself up 20 lbs from my wedding day.
My work schedule is my constant excuse, and truly it is demanding, unpredictable, and all-encompassing. I try to take moments to remember that there is life outside of work, and remember how fiercely I must defend this. Workouts and food prep really need to be priorities, even if I don't always treat them that way.
When I thought about how to fit in exercise, mornings are the only obvious time. I HATE getting up early, or at all actually. So yesterday I signed up for a 6 AM small group personal training class. I will be at the gym every MWF at 6 AM. The class is 12 weeks long, and I start tomorrow. Let's see if that's enough to start a habit.
I want to run a half or full marathon in June (Haven't decided which yet). When I ran my half in October, I was so worried that I wouldn't finish in the time limit, and it was close. I don't want that to happen in June. Carrying less weight is the easiest way I think of to ensure that. And I want to fit in my old clothes!
Monday, August 23, 2010
I went running yesterday at Masterson Station while in Lexington. The ground was really uneven. It was really hot. I pushed myself hard. I only made it two miles before I had to stop. The worst part is that I strained my calf. I'm pretty sure it's a soleus. All the web pages say that rest, ice, compression and elevation will have me good as new. But I have a race to run! I'm really pissed off that I have to take another day of rest. I'll get over it though, I'm sure.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
My workouts in 50 days count was 28. That didn't sound great until I calculated out that's about 4/7 days per week. Then it sounded pretty good.
I randomly ended up next to my favorite running store last night. As I was looking at the cute running skirts that didn't come in my size, I realized that I hadn't bought new running shoes in a year. I thought it was time. I took them home and thought of a good neighborhood running path I had wanted to do but just hadn't yet. When I got home and mapped it out, it was 3.7 miles. I guess I'm in better shape than previously thought.
So I shudder to bring up another distance running goal. I have a hard time sticking to training schedules, between motivation, injuries and my work schedule. However, this sounds really cool. Halloween race in costume!
Get An Email Alert Each Time PURPLE_PHYS Posts