PSNEWCOMB   35,846
30,000-39,999 SparkPoints
PSNEWCOMB's Recent Blog Entries

Cast Off!

Sunday, March 31, 2013

I got my cast off and stitches out one week after surgery. My xrays show that the bone is securely in place with a plate and screws. I started physical therapy 2 days later. I am doing home exercises 3x a day, with heat, ice and massage for my soreness as well.

I am typing with both hands, although it is slooow going. I got about 3 inches cut off the length of my hair to make it a little easier to manage. I drove my car for the first time in 2 weeks. I am returning to work 4/2.

I walked a virtual 5K today. I have been walking about a mile a day since the surgery. Getting outside and staying active feels good. I am taking it slow and easy.

I asked my doctor and physical therapist about walking the OC Half Marathon on 5/5, both said maybe but weren't too enthusiastic. I will just keep walking and see what happens.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MOMMAPAM1 4/1/2013 9:28AM

    I'm glad to hear that you are better. Try not to over do it

Report Inappropriate Comment
LUCKYDOGFARM 3/31/2013 6:27PM

    I am so glad that you are healing so well! Congrats on staying so healthy while you are healing up. You might be down, but not out!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Confession... with an explanation, your honor

Sunday, March 24, 2013

I did not finish my 5K on March 16, 2013. I got there early. I ran into a few friends. I saw my boss - neither of us knew the other was running this race. About 9 minutes into the race, I took a hard fall. I tried to go to my knees and then I bounced and slid on my knees and fell on my hands. I wiped out my left knee, scraped my nose bloody, and my left wrist was not in alignment. I got up, walked to the medical station, got a cardboard splint for my left arm, and they cleaned me up. I called my husband & we went to the emergency room. Got some x-rays and a temporary splint. Of course, you have to wait until Monday to get an appointment with an orthopedic doctor. I called Monday, got an appointment on Tuesday, had surgery to put in a plate and screws on Wednesday. No brain damage - LOL. I worked from home for a few hours Friday - very slow typing. Went for a walk on Friday. Got my hair washed and styled at the salon on Saturday. Went to the gym and used the recumbent bike for 30 minutes today. I also took a shower, with my arm covered. I stopped taking pain medication and ibuprofen because I am not in pain. My bruised up left knee is still purple and sore. My nose is healed. I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday 3/27. I hope I will get my stitches out and get a smaller cast. I want to go back to work. I am bored. I also want to back to walking and running and races. I hope I will be able to walk the OC Half Marathon on May 5, 2013.

Day 1

Day 8

A collage of my various wounds!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MOMMAPAM1 3/28/2013 12:14PM

    Sorry to hear about your boo boo. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
CALGIRL80 3/26/2013 2:48PM

  Hope you heal up soon. Best of luck on the OC Half. I wish I would be in shape by then to do it. But I am up to a max of 4.5 miles. I will get to a half in time. You can do it.
Blessings on your journey

Report Inappropriate Comment
LUCKYDOGFARM 3/24/2013 9:28PM

    Pickie98 has a great idea for your next race. Hopefully you won't need it though. Your injuries do look painful. And your beautiful legs, oh my! When is your half marathon? Sounds like you are doing a great job of healing up. I'll be praying for a speedy, perfect, better than new healing for your body!

Report Inappropriate Comment
PSNEWCOMB 3/24/2013 7:31PM

    LOL - I am not a fast runner, but my fall was a hard landing. It was embarrassing for me when my boss saw me with blood on my face and a splint. He has been very understanding and supportive. I will see how I am healing at my follow-up appointment this week. The bruises are in the colorful stage but healing. It has been a challenge to say the least. I am staying positive and trying to have a good sense of humor about it.

#firstbrokenbone #roadrashwarrior #asphaltnosejob

Report Inappropriate Comment

    AHH! How fast were you running? That's intense. ::shivers::

Report Inappropriate Comment
THINAGIN2 3/24/2013 4:07PM

    Ouch! I sure hope that you healing and feeling better. Better luck with the next race!

Report Inappropriate Comment
PICKIE98 3/24/2013 3:16PM

    OW! I ache just seeing your pics.. How did the boss feel about this?? But for the grace of God...

Gosh, you are doing great,, healing and not taking pain pills now. Take care!!
I hope the next run is called the Bubble Wrap 5K!

Report Inappropriate Comment

2013 - working on goals!

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

First of all, I can't believe it is February already! In January, I planned out some races for the year. I finished the Tinkerbell Half Marathon. That race starts at 5:00 am and it is always a tough one for me, just trying to eat that early is a challenge, although running through Disneyland at dawn is inspiring. The soft light is beautiful and all of the electric lights glow. I somehow reset my watch timer to go off for kilometers instead of minutes. I got confused about how much time I had left, and ran too fast in the middle of my race. So, I was very tired in the last mile. I was happy to finish and meet up with my daughter-in-law (also a finisher) and grandkids and husband in the family reunion area. I had two blisters on my left foot. Not good.

I started February by finishing the Surf City Half Marathon, in Huntington Beach. It started at 7:45 am, much easier for me. It was a beautiful day. I got my watch reset to beep every minute, but the distance was recorded in kilometers. Good thing there were mile markers! I did not have any problems with my hydration or nutrition, a real plus. The last 5 miles were on Pacific Coast Highway, and we were able to see and hear the waves crashing. It was inspiring to see the beautiful beach with Catalina Island in the distance. I used Body Glide on my feet. I still got a blister, although only one and smaller. I think it proves that my shoes are the problem. My old race shoes never gave me blisters. This is my fourth half marathon with these shoes, and I have had blisters each time. (I know, I am pretty slow to figure it out.)

My goal is to finish at least 6 half marathons in 2013. I feel good that I have finished 2 already. YAY!! I am going to a running shoe store ASAP. I have to resolve my blister issue before the next half marathon in May 2013. I don't get blisters when I run 5K races. I think my race times would be faster if my feet were not injured during the race.

I have been working with my new trainer to strengthen my knees and increase my flexibility in my hamstrings. I am also doing more upper body weights and stretching. I feel that I am making some progress. My recovery from my races is less painful and taking less time.

I joined BeeUnited running group (associated with BeeCause Charms) with the hopes that I can meet up with some other runners at my races.

I lost a few pounds in January, too! I am planning to complete a Virtual 5K on SparkPeople in the weeks that I do not run in an organized race. So far, I think I am on track with my goals.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

LUCKYDOGFARM 2/5/2013 10:45PM

    Jealous! That is me when I see your gorgeous photo! You looks so happy and healthy and radiant! Even with the blisters. Hope you get that figured out Soon. What a pain, I can sort of sympathize. I have been having foot troubles for the past year. My husband was getting peeved at me for all the new shoes I was buying, but I finally found THE PAIR! Haha. My feet are rejoicing!
I will have to look up your running group. My brain says it is a bunch of folks who are runners because they are also bee keepers! Lol.

Report Inappropriate Comment
SEEINGCLEARLY53 2/5/2013 4:20PM


Report Inappropriate Comment

Happy New Year!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012 was a great year for running!! Looking back, I can't believe that I finished 28 races: 8 Half Marathons, an 11K, a 10K, a 6K, 16 - 5Ks, and a progressive marathon (marathon miles are not all run on the same day). I got a few extra medals for finishing a series of races, the Beach Cities Challenge (3 Half Marathons) and the Quadruple Crown Challenge (4 - 5K's).

I learned a few things.

I can't run races on back to back days without pain.
I need more rest to be able to enjoy all of my races.
I don't like to stretch or lift weights, so I hired a trainer to help keep me on track.
I like to encourage others to run, and a few have started to drink the kool-aid. ;)

My goals for 2013 will include about 20 races and I intend to make an effort to lose some weight. Wish me luck.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

PINKNFITCARLA 12/27/2012 10:44PM


Report Inappropriate Comment
LUCKYDOGFARM 12/27/2012 10:02PM

    Talk about Bling! Wow! You are Amazing! Keep the kool-aid coming! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
JUDYAMK 12/27/2012 7:26PM

    Wow that is awesome I will cheer you on for 2013

Report Inappropriate Comment

I finished my first Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon today!

Sunday, June 03, 2012

First photo is me with with my daughter-in-law and grandchildren after the race.

I have been promising myself that I would write about my running since January 2012. The San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon was a goal race on my tour of races for 2012. I want to finish 5 Half Marathons, and this was #4. Not bad for June! My daughter-in-law and I like to run the half marathons together. She finishes before me, but we walk to the start line together, talk before the race starts, give each other a hug and off she goes. I always tell her to have a good race and look forward to seeing her at the finish line. We ran our first half marathon together - the 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon.

It took almost an hour for my wave to start and my daughter-in-law waited with me, even though she qualified for an earlier start time. There were over 40,000 runners. As I ran/walked the first 3 miles, I felt really good and tried not to run too fast. Miles 4 - 6 were challenging with some steep hills, mile 5 was a long line at the bathroom, but what can you do? There were a few other steep spots in the race, too. Miles 10 - 12 are always hard for me. I am tired, and at mile 10 there are 3.1 miles to go, which does not feel like fun. I usually walk a little more during this leg of the race to baby myself. There were so many great musical bands on the course, it was really motivating. Also, plenty of water & Gatorade stations.

As I finished mile 12, I was at the top of an incline and I could see the finish area. The road descended to a flat finish lane, but the road curved around, so it seemed like the finish line kept moving farther away. I was exhausted at the finish and had a little dehydration to deal with for a few minutes. I drank a bottle of water, ate a banana, and had a bottle of Gatorade. I started to feel better and cool down.

The Rock 'n' Roll experience is incredible.

I would like to repeat this race in 2013.

The medal is awesome!! The feeling of finishing this race is priceless!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

NOSMOHT 6/5/2012 3:56PM

    I would love to run more Rock 'n' Roll half marathons! I have run the Fargo Rock 'n' Roll twice now and love it. I keep saying that one of these days I need to work on doing a few more of the Rock 'n' Roll series.

Congrats on finishing!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LUCKYDOGFARM 6/4/2012 10:16PM

    PSNEWCOMB, what a great race! and so nice that your daughter-in-law is your running partner.. i'll bet your beautiful grandbabies are so glad to have a healthy Grandma in their lives! helps ya keep up with them, huh!

looking forward to reading more blogs by you, now that i KNOW emoticon!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BLUE42DOWN 6/3/2012 10:30PM


Sounds like an emoticon event!

Report Inappropriate Comment

    I did my first Rock 'n' Roll HM in Washington, DC this past March (my 1st half period). What an AWESOME experience! I LOVE my medal. They put on an incredible race series, one I hope to do again and again. There are a few more this year fairly close by, but none nearly as close as DC. This was their first year in DC. It was a challenging hilly course too, but otherwise beautiful. I had some medical challenges for the 3 months before the race so I ended up walking the entire 13.1, but at least I finished :-) emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment