Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Just found out today that my dad has been in the hospital since Sunday. One of the Brethren from his congregation saw fit to check up on him before the cold snap that was to hit Kansas Okla and Texas, and discovered him talking incoherently. It's a miracle that an email from Amazon inspired me to call my dad's cell phone, which he had with him at the hospital. Or maybe coincidence, for those of you with an alternative spiritual belief system - I don't care what it is called.
I was able to get the number for hospital case manager and I knew going in that she might not believe me ( HIPPA laws and all that privacy but really no privacy stuff.). Miracles - she was really patient with my deafness over the phone (as was the guy who gave me her phone number and was patient while I was repeating to make sure I really got it.). She had to know for sure about me, before she could share info on his condition, and I understood thst. It was really a bit of struggle to get through calmly so that we could both get the info we needed )exchanging phone numbers, emails, names, etc.).
Evidently his estranged wife ( like a cult bride) won't have anything to do with him or the hospital earlier when case manage was looking for info about him or his family. So CM ( case manager) was evidently already trying to find me on thr Internet. I think she was pleasantly surprised I called her. Or just as awed by the miraculous coincidence. I really don't know.
I need more sleep. Evidently the doctor will call tomorrow to gain permission to do some procedures. I had raised the issue that I didn't know enough of my dad's affairs to know if I was listed as a Power of Attorney or any such like thst. She told me that since I'm first born child, thst Texas law says I'm next in line, since he is divorced from my mom and his currrent "wife" evidently has nothing to do with him.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
I just saw this on Facebook and I just HAD to share this poster. It explains so much about me....
So now you know.
I'll understand if you feel you need to unfriend me...
Thursday, December 06, 2012
Woke up and went for a walk. Kinda hard to start my FitBit and my MaPMyWalk app on the iPhone at the same time. Both agreed that I had walked basically 20 minutes, so, oh well, that's my "10 minute streak" for the day. One said I walked 17.8 mph and the other made up some random number about 20 mph. Maybe it was measuring only the very last part of the walk, rather than an overall average?
Had my bowl of oatmeal and later on a cup of coffee... read paper. Did some email.
Then I had to take a shower as I was running out of time and had to be one place at 11 am and then I was to meet my husband for lunch and then I'd go to the ENT doc for my audiology appointment.
Well... I usually wash my hair in the tub. (long story) Today I used the guys' shower and it was nasty! I put my swim shoes on to protect my feet from whatever cooties there since they don't clean up after themselves. Got my scrubbie brush and a bunch of soap and scrubbed the dickkens out of that tub. But it was hard - lots of bending down and back up and head between my knees practically and that just wore me out. Pretty soon, I felt this weird headache coming up behind my head over the top and the sides towards the front. Got on out of the shower and made it into my room to get dressed.... but was feeling ill. Just feeling odd...I must have overdid it in the tub, since I was scrubbing like a madwoman knowing that I really didn't have time but didn't want to do it later in the day, but still grossed that it was so dirty.
Got dressed, somehow drove myself to the first place to get the car worked on, had to take the back roads as I didn't feel like I was stable enough to drive on the freeway. I kept drinking water... felt like I needed to eat but also felt sort of queasy. I should have taken my blood sugar then but I don't know if that would have been good info...
Called my husband as he was basically across the street, and he came on over and then I debated whether to eat or to go get some aspirin or what. Decided I really wanted to eat since I had done quite a bit more exercise and with that cup of coffee that I don't usually eat before exercise (did you read the Spark article elsewhere in the Health news about not drinking caffeine before exercise?).
We went to eat lunch - I picked out a beef veggie soup and a chicken veggie salad. And water. I gradually started feeling some better but still just had that feeling like I'd been beaten all over.
My husband really needed to go back to work, but I had this 2 pm appointment and still felt cruddy so I asked if he could drive me there and be there with me. So he did (one of the huuuuuge blessings of being salaried and on flex time and well, just the corporate culture of the place he works for, plus he's been that career for 35+ years. Of course, now that I'm writing this, he's back at work so he's putting in his 8 hours just later in the evening!!!).
So we get there and we'd already rearranged our Flexible Spending so that starting in January we'd have Flex Spending funds for at least one of the two hearing aids... and so we just visited with the audiologist. I wasn't really sure why she wanted me to come back - maybe because we didn't have time to finish that discussion after the last session last week when I had the long audiogram session (which always tires me and wears me out and I don't know, maybe it's just always a hugely emotional experience for me, just so mentally and emotionally draining. I put up with a lot at various doctors - poked prodded, shots, mammograms, X-Rays, 2 years of braces, drill into my jaw to install the dental implants, MRI, caesarian section, spinal block, maybe not as many procedures as many people have had....but audiograms are the worst things for me to deal with! I guess there's some baggage in all that, but in any case, it is what it is.
So anyway today we're sitting around and she's kinda starting up her pitch a bit, trying to determine what she can and can't do, if a loaner is available, if we we have insurance now, whatever... and suddenly it dawns on her where my husband works and she says "Oh Wait!! We just got paid by your current insurance for a pair of hearing aids for this other guy at your office." See - we've got this insurance but effective January 1, our company is switching to a different health insurance company. I kept asking my husband what kind of coverage we had, and for him to give me the propaganda and listing of the insurance coverage details... so the past two years I never got this info out of him. And I think he was so pessimistic, he never would make the effort of looking it up (maybe he thought it would get my hopes up? We've had such horrible experiences in the past....).
Anyway, the way it stands now, maybe the insurance will cover it even though we're just about to run out of time. She's got a plan to contact the insurance company or have her insurance guru do it tomorrow . If they deny it, then back up plan B will be the Flex Spending starting in January, as she's pretty sure the new insurance company we are being switched to will be a step or two lower in quality (or extra frustration levels...depending on one's point of view, I guess.). As she put it, she didn't know exactly what benefits there were for the employees but as a provider, that company was really awful to work with....would deny claims for the most capricious reasons (joking that even the Pope would have problems dealing with this insurance company!)...
And of course, we don't get a choice as to keeping the previous insurance company, since they've evidently been "voted off the island" by the head poobahs and bean-counters. To quote some famous management expert, can't remember the name - "The beatings (floggings, whippings, etc) will continue until employee morale improves...."
Soooo I have these loaners... keep in mind, this isn't a quick fix. I'm still deaf. I am hearing a lot of "stuff" but not necessarily clearer speech... guess it's a learning process, so they say.
Right now, my Channukah album playing through blue tooth off my iPhone iPod is sounding really tinny and horrible...
Monday, December 03, 2012
I'm kinda brain dead and tired. Saw these funny "laws" in email, so thought I'd share - some are related to weight loss!!
1. Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.
2. Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.
3. Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
4. Law of Random Numbers - If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal and someone always answers.
5. Variation Law- If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now (works every time).
6. Law of the Bath - When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.
7. Law of Close Encounters - The probability of meeting someone you know increases dramatically when you are with someone you don't want to be seen with.
8. Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine won't work, it will.
9. Law of Biomechanics - The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.
10. Law of the Theater & Hockey Arena - At any event, the people whose seats are furthest from the aisle, always arrive last They are the ones who will leave their seats several times to go for food, beer, or the toilet and who leave early before the end of the performance or the game is over. The folks in the aisle seats come early, never move once, have long gangly legs or big bellies and stay to the bitter end of the performance. The aisle people also are very surly folk.
11. The Coffee Law - As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
12. Murphy's Law of Lockers - If there are only two people in a locker room, they will have adjacent lockers.
13. Law of Physical Surfaces - The chances of an open-faced jelly sandwich landing face down on a floor are directly correlated to the newness and cost of the carpet or rug.
14. Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
15. Brown's Law of Physical Appearance - If the clothes fit, they're ugly. (My favorite!)
16. Oliver's Law of Public Speaking - A closed mouth gathers no feet.
17. Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.
18. Doctors' Law - If you don't feel well, make an appointment to go to the doctor, by the time you get there you'll feel better. But don't make an appointment, and you'll stay sick.
Get An Email Alert Each Time PROVERBS31JULIA Posts