Friday, May 17, 2013
Enjoy - Two Wolves
Have a great weekend everyone!
Monday, May 13, 2013
Turmeric the superstar spice
Often called ďthe Indian solid goldĒ, with superpowers that help prevent Alzheimerís disease and common types of cancer, turmeric is fast becoming a superstar spice.
Turmeric gets its bright yellow pigment from an ingredient called curcumin, which is the essential part that gives turmeric its Alzheimerís and cancer fighting power.
This spice originates from tropical South Asia, and is extremely popular in India. Studies have shown that the cancer and Alzheimerís rates in India is 10-20 times less than that of Americans.
So what makes this spice so ďsuper?Ē
✒ The orange root of the turmeric plant contains polyphenol compounds called circuminoids.
Ciruminoids have extremely strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which are the properties that fight Alzheimerís and common cancer.
✒ They have been shown to decrease brain tumor size in animals by 81 percent in more than 9 studies.
Researchers at UCLA have even found that curcumin is able to block cancer growth.
✒ The spice has also been shown to help prevent breast cancer. Curcumin has been found to possess properties that reduce the expression of deadly molecules within cancer cells, and can potentially slow the spread of breast cancer.
✒ Turmeric powder has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties comparable to steroidal and non-steroidal drugs (e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen). This also makes it an ideal antiseptic used in home remedies for wounds.
✒ It reduces the inflammation, oxidation, and amyloid plaques associated with Alzheimerís disease.
✒ It acts as a powerful antioxidant whose free-radical-scavenging activity exceeds that of vitamin C and most polyphenols, including vitamin E and the catechins in tea and the and flavanols in cocoa and dark chocolate.
✒ It protects the cardiovascular system by lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels, reversing cell-membrane damage, and inhibiting inflammation and platelet aggregation.
How to use turmeric in food:
Turmericís powerful properties are best absorbed by the body when eaten with fish, or taken as fish oil, as stated by M.D. Anderson Cancer Centerís patient-encyclopedia on turmeric: ďA lipid base of lecithin, fish oils or essential fatty acids may also be used to enhance absorption.Ē
Turmeric is best used in its natural form or as a powder. It is also available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.
Make sure you get it from a reliable source.
Once you start using turmeric on a regular basis, it is fun to find new ways to use it in recipes.
Use can add it to curries, health shakes etc. The possibilities are endless that you can add it to or cook with it.
Sunday, May 05, 2013
Here you go no excuses now not to do some form of exercise everyday!
The workout for people who don't work out!
by Moira Tobin
You are reading this article from some sort of screen so letʼs start the workout by doing a quick posture check (please comment below or click ʻlikeʼ if youʼve just readjusted your position!).
If you are seated at a desk, are you sitting up tall? Is your monitor, keyboard and seat at the right height? If you are reading this from a tablet or phone, are you hunched over, straining all the muscles in your neck? Keeping your body in alignment is vital for maintaining a healthy mind and body and will alleviate possible back and neck pain, headaches and fatigue.
The following tips are for men and women, whether you are an office worker or stay-at-home parent. This might not be your typical routine but you can see how easy it is to incorporate ʻmovement minutesʼ into your busy day.
1. Wake up stretch - 30 seconds x 7 days = 3.5 minutes
2. Boil the kettle bench push ups - 3 minutes x 7 days = 15 minutes
3. Pre-breakfast skipping (no rope needed) - 1-2 minutes x 7 days = 7-14 minutes
4. Brushing Teeth quad wall holds - 4 minutes morning & night x 7 days = 28 minutes
5. Bus/Tram/Train pace while you are waiting for transport - 4 minutes x 5 days = 20 minutes
6. Always use stairs not lifts and walk up escalators - 1-2 minutes x 5 days = 5-10 minutes
7. Lunchtime window shopping without cash/credit card - 15 minutes x 5 days = 75 minutes
8. Office Chair posture checks. Tie a piece of wool or hat elastic around your waist...it will tighten when you slouch. This will serves as a gentle reminder to sit correctly - belly button drawn into your spine. Youʼll be amazed at the results, as it will help lose centimetres from your waistline - hours
9. School pick up step ups. Use gutters for some toe-tapping moves - 2 minutes x 5 days = 10 minutes
10. Traffic light pelvic floor exercises every time you stop at a red light. Boys, I know this is an embarrassing subject but last time I researched there were also incontinence pads for men so, this includes you! The sensation we are looking for is similar to walking into cold water (I am lead to believe!) - hours
11. Supermarket Trolley resistance training. When you first arrive at the supermarket load your trolley with a couple of boxes of bottled water (return to the shelves before paying at the checkout). Push that heavy trolley around the aisles (btw...have you noticed that all the ʻhealthierʼ food in supermarkets is around the edges so perhaps you should be avoiding the aisles?) - 15 minutes x 2 days = 30 minutes
12. After School Action. Practice what you preach and get moving like the kids. If they are at netball training, walk around the court. If itʼs a footy match, even better: ovals are bigger! You get the picture. Donʼt stand watching at the sidelines, walk and talk with a friend - 1 hour minimum
13. Pre-dinner squats (easy to do while something is simmering on the stove) - 2 minutes x 7 days = 14 minutes
14. TV ad break plank (for every 1 hour of tv there would be approximately 15 minutes of ads)
- 15 minutes x 7 days = 105 minutes
15. Sleep Time meditation - 5 minutes x 7 days = 35 minutes
Saturday, May 04, 2013
Have you been trying to lose weight, but can't seem to figure out why you've been unsuccessful? The answer isn't the fad diet you've attempted, nor is it a simple matter of willpower.
Here are some common reasons people "fail" at their weight loss attempts. Do any of these sound familiar?
1. You never let yourself get hungry.
This is a good indicator that you're eating too much. Itís ok to wait until you get hungry before you eat. If you eat when you're not hungry, stop and ask yourself why. Is it to comfort yourself? You may find that you are eating out of enjoyment instead of to nourish your body.
2. You do the same workout every time you go to the gym.
You have to switch it up in order for your workout to make a difference. Your muscles want to be challenged. Keep them working! Try high-intensity interval training by running as quickly as you can for a minute and walking briskly for two minutes. Then repeat.
3. You are afraid of using weights.
Muscle burns more calories than cardio. Once you have muscle tone, you will find that it is much harder to gain the bad kind of weight (i.e. fat) for this reason.
4. You care more about calorie content than the quality of what you are eating.
There are loads of artificial ingredients in foods, which make them difficult for your body to digest. Just because something is low in calories doesn't mean itís healthy! Choose whole foods and stay clear of diet sodas and low fat cookies.
5. You're stressed out.
If you're stressed, you're more likely to gain weight. Stress increases the amount of cortisol your body produces, which leads to increased appetite and fat storage. Adapt some stress relieving habits like yoga or meditation.
6. You're addicted to sugar.
Sugar converts into fat. This is no secret. If you want to finally lose that extra weight around your thighs, either kiss sugar goodbye or practice moderation. To quell a sugar craving, try something salty instead. Often we crave sweet things because we don't have a good balance between salty and sweet foods. Also, substitute anything that has refined sugar with fruit. Try out some dried mango or a have a delicious smoothie.
7. You're drinking too much alcohol.
So, you eat healthy all day. You go to the gym now and then. You should be skinny, right? Nope, not if you're drinking beer a few nights a week. Cut down on all alcohol, especially beer and sugary cocktails.
8. You never think ahead enough to plan meals.
If you're a very busy person, this is key. When you eat out, try having a specific idea of what you want to eat before you get to the restaurant so that you're not as tempted by other options. Go grocery shopping during the weekend so that you have healthy food stocked for the entire week. Cooking a big meal on Sunday, like a quinoa pilaf, that will last you throughout the week is also a great idea.
9. You compare yourself to others.
Stop it right now. What Mary or Ben can eat is not the same as what you can eat. You need to figure out what works for you and makes you feel good about yourself. Do not try to follow someone elseís diet plan. This needs to be your own personal journey.
10. You deprive yourself, then indulge too much.
This can be a vicious cycle. You may have been really good all week. Now the weekend's here, and itís party time. You drank like a drunken sailor both Friday and Saturday night. You woke up and ate pancakes for brunch, followed by pizza. Then you figure, why not have dessert too?
Sound familiar? Hereís my advice: Go ahead, have a slice of pizza on the weekend, but stop there. Your body can handle going off track a bit now and then. It canít handle being inundated with loads of unhealthy food all of a sudden. That will catch up with you. And after youíve indulged, donít blow off working out the next day.
11. You have a food allergy.
Donít disregard this. It's a major reason why many people are not losing weight. If you want to find out whether you have one, eliminate dairy for a week. Then, try taking a probiotic to repair your gut for an entire week. During your third week, reintroduce dairy and see how you react. Try the same when it comes to gluten. Also, remember that you can still be allergic to milk without being lactose intolerant. Similarly, you could be allergic to wheat and not gluten.
12. You rely on crash diets or arenít consistent with your workouts.
Do you want to look good always, or sometimes? If you always want to look good, you need to make a lifestyle change. It will be difficult at first, but once you decide to make the plunge, you will be a much happier person. This also means that you canít go to the gym daily for a few months, then not at all for a month and still expect to feel and look the same. Adopt a healthy routine and keep it.
Get An Email Alert Each Time POSITIVEPAULA8 Posts