Monday, February 04, 2013
Where do these weekends go?? Well, I guess it is better than the alternatives! So, here's the highlights of my busy and fast weekend:
- Ran my first cold weather 5K race, and boy was it cold! 30'ish at the start of the race, and the sun got behind the clouds as well, so it made feel even that much colder. Taking advice from veteran cold weather runners, I had my 3 layers on -- moisture wicking under layer, thin fleece middle layer, and a windbreaker outer layer. Plenty warm, but not too warm. There were some "crazies" out there in t-shirts and shorts, but my guess is that some of them had come straight from a local tavern! The very good runners seemed to be wearing maybe two layers up top, but either just shorts or some sort of thin, tight leggings. I need to investigate this a bit further...
Here was the picture I took of myself just before the race started:
Anyway, my time was 30:31, but unlike any other race I have run in, that was based on the gun start with no time for when I actually crossed the starting line (as I tend to head to the back to avoid the crush up front). Unfortunately I did not start my watch (sigh) but my guess is that my real running time was just a tad under 30 minutes. Not my best time, and I really struggled in the 1.5 to 2.5 mile area with being winded, so my guess is that the cold was causing that, as I have not had those issues in my indoor training runs. Which is what I think was the problem -- I did not train enough outside! Also, I want to see if I can modify my running gear for less layers. Lots to work on for the next cold weather race.
This was a charity race for Special Olympics Delaware, and I am proud to report I raised $305, good for 3rd place! And really, this is what it is all about!
- I normally run on Sundays, but since I ran Saturday, took the opportunity to swim laps yesterday! 2x750M in 44:45! Besides just being great exercise, one of the things I really like about swimming is being totally disconnected! No iPod/iPhone/etc -- just me and the water!
- Nothing more nagging than having a "to do" list and not getting things done on it for weeks at a time, so on Sunday after my swim and before the Super Bowl, I plunged into my to do list, which consisted of some real fun stuff like cleaning my office, hanging some pictures, etc and got them done! Felt good!!
- DW and I really thought through our Super Bowl menu yesterday, and really did quite well. Was a little over on my total calories for the day, but only by 47 calories! I am so pleased that my DW is "into it" (eating healthy and losing weight!).
Back to work...have a good day everyone!
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Some random events going on in my life:
- Hit a low water mark on the scale this morning -- 180.2! Exactly 86 pounds lost now, and just a scant 1.2 pounds more to go to hit my target and officially "be normal" on the BMI scale! Can't speak for the rest of me, but that part will eventually be normal!
- Each day the weather forecast for this Saturday keeps getting colder! May not even break 30F, windy, chance of snow! Yes, I know it is winter and this is all normal, but I am running in an outdoor 5K on Saturday! Glad I have warm running attire! Today: mid 60's!!
- My DW's stepdaughter is having some major financial struggles. Won't go into all the details, but she and her 2 children are at risk of losing the roof over their heads (a double wide trailer they are renting). When my DW told me this yesterday, I gave it some serious thought as to what we can do, and have proposed they come live with us if they are evicted. The one challenge is that the space we can let them use needs to be renovated a little. The one room that the previous owners used as a bedroom, which was carpeted, got flooded out in the winter of 2010 (worst snow year EVER!), so I would need to get it carpeted (the reason for the flooding has been fixed), and the bathroom ceiling needs to be repaired, as we had a pipe leak last year.
- Saw my dentist this morning. Chompers in A-OK shape!
Well, gotta get back to work....
Friday, January 18, 2013
Went to see my PCP today, and I was hoping that my hemoglobin A1C blood test was finally going to be in the "normal" range (5.6% or less). My last test in October was at 5.7, so I was THAT close!
Unfortunately, not only had it not gone down, it went UP! Back above 6%!! Not back into the "diabetic" range, but close enough that I need to more closely monitor my eating, especially in the evening.
Thankfully, my PCP reassured me that it was likely due to the holidays, and then it hit me that in addition to the holidays, I was on the road twice during the past four months! Not making excuses, just a reality check!
Also thankfully, my weight stayed in check, so at least I won that battle!
So...a small step back. Just a reminder that the fight never ends! Vigilance is the key!
Looking forward to refocusing my efforts to get my blood sugar in the "normal" range!
Friday, January 04, 2013
My first 5K race for 2013 is the "Run to the Plunge" in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on Saturday, February 2, and it is special one in that all the pledges benefit Delaware Special Olympics. The grand daddy event, the 2013 Polar Bear Plunge, is on Sunday, February 3. I've done the plunge before (2001 to 2005), but I enjoy running now, so this is a perfect way for me to do what I like AND help out a great cause (not to mention I'll stay much warmer than running into the Atlantic Ocean in my bathing suit with the water temps in the 30's!!).
Please consider sponsoring me. The link to the web site is below:
Friday, January 04, 2013
Wow -- 3 days in to the new year, and I am SOOOO looking forward to this weekend with no alarm to wake up to. Even though we just had a 4 day weekend it was a busy 4 day weekend with two parties and lots of activities in between. I do have some "to do's" this weekend, but nothing that requires me to get up early.
Get An Email Alert Each Time PLMITCH Posts