Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Some random events going on in my life:
- Hit a low water mark on the scale this morning -- 180.2! Exactly 86 pounds lost now, and just a scant 1.2 pounds more to go to hit my target and officially "be normal" on the BMI scale! Can't speak for the rest of me, but that part will eventually be normal!
- Each day the weather forecast for this Saturday keeps getting colder! May not even break 30F, windy, chance of snow! Yes, I know it is winter and this is all normal, but I am running in an outdoor 5K on Saturday! Glad I have warm running attire! Today: mid 60's!!
- My DW's stepdaughter is having some major financial struggles. Won't go into all the details, but she and her 2 children are at risk of losing the roof over their heads (a double wide trailer they are renting). When my DW told me this yesterday, I gave it some serious thought as to what we can do, and have proposed they come live with us if they are evicted. The one challenge is that the space we can let them use needs to be renovated a little. The one room that the previous owners used as a bedroom, which was carpeted, got flooded out in the winter of 2010 (worst snow year EVER!), so I would need to get it carpeted (the reason for the flooding has been fixed), and the bathroom ceiling needs to be repaired, as we had a pipe leak last year.
- Saw my dentist this morning. Chompers in A-OK shape!
Well, gotta get back to work....
Friday, January 18, 2013
Went to see my PCP today, and I was hoping that my hemoglobin A1C blood test was finally going to be in the "normal" range (5.6% or less). My last test in October was at 5.7, so I was THAT close!
Unfortunately, not only had it not gone down, it went UP! Back above 6%!! Not back into the "diabetic" range, but close enough that I need to more closely monitor my eating, especially in the evening.
Thankfully, my PCP reassured me that it was likely due to the holidays, and then it hit me that in addition to the holidays, I was on the road twice during the past four months! Not making excuses, just a reality check!
Also thankfully, my weight stayed in check, so at least I won that battle!
So...a small step back. Just a reminder that the fight never ends! Vigilance is the key!
Looking forward to refocusing my efforts to get my blood sugar in the "normal" range!
Friday, January 04, 2013
My first 5K race for 2013 is the "Run to the Plunge" in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on Saturday, February 2, and it is special one in that all the pledges benefit Delaware Special Olympics. The grand daddy event, the 2013 Polar Bear Plunge, is on Sunday, February 3. I've done the plunge before (2001 to 2005), but I enjoy running now, so this is a perfect way for me to do what I like AND help out a great cause (not to mention I'll stay much warmer than running into the Atlantic Ocean in my bathing suit with the water temps in the 30's!!).
Please consider sponsoring me. The link to the web site is below:
Friday, January 04, 2013
Wow -- 3 days in to the new year, and I am SOOOO looking forward to this weekend with no alarm to wake up to. Even though we just had a 4 day weekend it was a busy 4 day weekend with two parties and lots of activities in between. I do have some "to do's" this weekend, but nothing that requires me to get up early.
Wednesday, January 02, 2013
Some different goals for me in 2013:
- Weight maintenance! I'm at 180.8 right now, and my PCP and Bariatric Dr both have indicated they do not want me to lose any more weight. So my goal is to stay between 175 and 185.
- Running: At least four 5K races this year, and at least one 10K. Improve my 5K time to 27 minutes or better. For the 10K, I'll be thrilled if I finish in under 60 minutes!
- Projects: I've had this desire to build my own outdoor shed, which is something we need anyway, and my hunch is that I can do it much cheaper than if I buy one. So I'm going to invest in the plans to do such, including the ground prep, etc. The nice part is I can spread the funding for it so it does not become a financial pain.
- Financial: Continue to improve our financial house (i.e...reducing debt, contribute more to 401K, ,etc).
- Work: I started in a new position last September, so my goal here is real simple -- continue to learn and grow!
- Procrastination: I've gotten better about this, but I still procrastinate too often. Work to procrastinate less and do more!
- Live in the moment! Family, friends, events, sights, sounds, etc.
Happy 2013 to all my of SP friends!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time PLMITCH Posts