Friday, January 18, 2013
Went to see my PCP today, and I was hoping that my hemoglobin A1C blood test was finally going to be in the "normal" range (5.6% or less). My last test in October was at 5.7, so I was THAT close!
Unfortunately, not only had it not gone down, it went UP! Back above 6%!! Not back into the "diabetic" range, but close enough that I need to more closely monitor my eating, especially in the evening.
Thankfully, my PCP reassured me that it was likely due to the holidays, and then it hit me that in addition to the holidays, I was on the road twice during the past four months! Not making excuses, just a reality check!
Also thankfully, my weight stayed in check, so at least I won that battle!
So...a small step back. Just a reminder that the fight never ends! Vigilance is the key!
Looking forward to refocusing my efforts to get my blood sugar in the "normal" range!
Friday, January 04, 2013
My first 5K race for 2013 is the "Run to the Plunge" in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on Saturday, February 2, and it is special one in that all the pledges benefit Delaware Special Olympics. The grand daddy event, the 2013 Polar Bear Plunge, is on Sunday, February 3. I've done the plunge before (2001 to 2005), but I enjoy running now, so this is a perfect way for me to do what I like AND help out a great cause (not to mention I'll stay much warmer than running into the Atlantic Ocean in my bathing suit with the water temps in the 30's!!).
Please consider sponsoring me. The link to the web site is below:
Friday, January 04, 2013
Wow -- 3 days in to the new year, and I am SOOOO looking forward to this weekend with no alarm to wake up to. Even though we just had a 4 day weekend it was a busy 4 day weekend with two parties and lots of activities in between. I do have some "to do's" this weekend, but nothing that requires me to get up early.
Wednesday, January 02, 2013
Some different goals for me in 2013:
- Weight maintenance! I'm at 180.8 right now, and my PCP and Bariatric Dr both have indicated they do not want me to lose any more weight. So my goal is to stay between 175 and 185.
- Running: At least four 5K races this year, and at least one 10K. Improve my 5K time to 27 minutes or better. For the 10K, I'll be thrilled if I finish in under 60 minutes!
- Projects: I've had this desire to build my own outdoor shed, which is something we need anyway, and my hunch is that I can do it much cheaper than if I buy one. So I'm going to invest in the plans to do such, including the ground prep, etc. The nice part is I can spread the funding for it so it does not become a financial pain.
- Financial: Continue to improve our financial house (i.e...reducing debt, contribute more to 401K, ,etc).
- Work: I started in a new position last September, so my goal here is real simple -- continue to learn and grow!
- Procrastination: I've gotten better about this, but I still procrastinate too often. Work to procrastinate less and do more!
- Live in the moment! Family, friends, events, sights, sounds, etc.
Happy 2013 to all my of SP friends!!
Monday, December 31, 2012
2012 was a very eventful year (aren't they all?), but there were some unique items worth highlighting:
- Lost another 47 pounds, and am at 180.8. I still want to hit 179 and even maybe drop a few more to 175, but I'm in a very good spot weight-wise.
- In addition the pounds, 7 inches disappeared around my waist (33 inches now) and 5 inches vanished from my hips (37 inches). Kinda blew the clothing budget this year, but it was for a good reason!!
- Ran four 5K races this year -- which considering I NEVER ran or even like to run, was huge in my book! Plan to run in my first winter race in February, and will likely look to run in at least one 10K race in 2013.
- Attended my youngest daughter's college graduation in May (Colorado State University). We used that even to do some vacationing in South Dakota, a first for my DW and I.
- Did some serious outdoor work around the house, including demo'ing a non-working 8 person hot tub on our back deck, mulching the entire perimeter of our house (over 100 cubic yards of mulch!), and repainting all of the shudders from a non-descript "puke" color, to black. It really changed the look of the house!
Today is the one year anniversary of my mom's passing, and we did have a memorial for her in March at my dad's home, with my brother, his wife, my son and his GF all in attendance. It was a very informal affair, but I think it captured the essence of her great life!
I'll save my 2013 goals and plans for tomorrow's blog, but all in all it was a very good year!
Get An Email Alert Each Time PLMITCH Posts