Saturday, December 08, 2012
In the past few weeks, I've been able in training to get my 5K time under 30 minutes, but today was the big day -- my first official, chipped 5K race! And to add a little intrigue to this race, it was in Tucson, AZ, which is 1/2 mile above sea level (where I live on the east coast, we are AT sea level!).
In spite of the altitude challenge, I was able to officially post my first sub-30 minute 5K -- 29:39!!
I did have to do a few fast walks during the race to catch my breath, but overall it was a very successful race! Hopefully, I'll be back here next year and lowering that time!
Friday, December 07, 2012
Always a pleasure to be in Arizona -- warm temps, sunny skies, etc. Today is my dad's 81st birthday, and we have a few things planned:
- Lunch plans at a retirement community he is thinking he may move to . It is a very nice place, and I really think this is the right thing for him to do -- he misses being around people!
- Dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant in Tucson. Their specialty is a dish called Carne Seca. Besides just being amazingly good, the way it is created is quite interesting -- the beef is "cooked" on screens on the roof! Gives you some idea just how warm the sun is here in southern Arizona!
Tomorrow I run in my first out of town 5K race up at the University of Arizona. Will blog about that tomorrow.
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Finally broke the 5K in under 30 minute barrier this morning -- 29:55!! Not much more to add, except to say I am one happy camper!!
Friday, November 16, 2012
Last day on my business trip in RTP, NC. I am very proud of how I kept an eye on the calories and what I ate, kept up with my exercise routine (albeit at a MUCH earlier time of the day!), and overall feel great! I will sleep well tonight I think -- back in my own bed, with my DW next to me, puppies on their beds, and NOOOOOOOOOO alarm tomorrow morning! I have pretty much been getting up at 4:30AM to 5:00AM each day, and that is CLEARLY out of routine, hence the reason I think I'll be sleeping well tonight!
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
So far so good on my business trip this week. At midweek, but still following my plan:
- Up at 5:00AM each day, in the workout room by 6:00AM. Had to deviate from my normal workout routine a little yesterday, as both treadmills were busy, so opted for the Precor EFX Elliptical. Did get in strength training Monday and Wednesday (today).
- Making sure to get up and stretch / walk during my meetings
- Tracking calories. Within goal each day so far, with the only issue being not enough fiber.
Friday is going to be a little more challenging. I have a 7AM meeting which I'll need to at my company site for. Thankfully, the hotel is only 5 minutes away, so one of the managers at the hotel is going to bring me over, but will need to be up even earlier (4AM) so I can get my workout in, get packed, get a quick, healthy breakfast, and be on-site in time for the meeting.
My hunch is that this will be the first of several business trips over the next 12 months, so this has been a good week to establish routines. The scale will tell the take next week as to just how successful I have been, but at least I feel like I've stayed on course.
Get An Email Alert Each Time PLMITCH Posts