Saturday, July 19, 2014
OK, to the important stuff: Ran a very respectable 1:02:06 today in my 2nd ever 10K race.
My plan today was be in the 10 minute mile range for the first 4 miles then start to pick up the pace and come in under 1 hour. Actually executed the plan pretty well, though my last 2 miles were 9:31 and 9:43, so need to do some work on those finishing miles. First 4 miles I ran in 40:20, so just a smidge off my target.
Plan to slow the pace up for the next few weeks. My right knee is pretty sore right now, and it was doing OK until the last few weeks of training. Am definitely going to find a 5K to run in August to keep my "race a month" goal for 2014 intact.
All in all, a great way to spend a July day!
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
One of my quirks on SP is that I always like to finish the day with my points at either a 5 or a 0 (i.e..65, 70, 75, 80). Don't know why...guess that is why it is quirk! So for today, the only way I can reach that goal is to write a blog to collect my 3 points...so like "Seinfeld", this is a blog about nothing!
Ah but there is always something to blog about!
- Tonight my wife and I will be taking her parents / my in-laws out for dinner to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary (which is Thursday, 7/17). All I can say: WOW!!
- I have my biweekly 1x1 meeting with my manager at 3:00PM today. Part of the call won't be pleasant I suspect because I got into the middle of an internal squabble, so I expect to be chided for that. The good news is that it reaffirms my decision to take another position within my company where I suspect the political winds won't be be blowing as hard! August 15 can't get here fast enough!
- Ran my last training run today before the 10K race I am running on Saturday. Weather forecast looks like it'll be in the low 70's and bearable humidity for the 8:00AM race start.
So, yup, this blog was about "something"...
Thursday, July 10, 2014
- Today was an interval speed training run day -- 16 quarter mile runs at a faster pace than I normally run, with a much needed 2 minute walk between each. Happy to report I completed this task, and my runs where right where I wanted them to be - in the 2:15 range!
- With it being VERY humid and 77F, I took along a small cooler with an ice pack, a bottle of water, and protective glasses (clear) in case the bugs were bad (it was cloudy, so sunglasses were not in order). Parked the cooler by the street sign where I start my runs. 2 miles and a little over 20 minutes later, i come back and the cooler is GONE! Suspects: 1) Garbage truck personnel that were in the area; 2) Postal delivery person (also in area); 3) Person who lives near sign. It's not a cost thing -- the entire contents are worth maybe $10 - it's the principle -- why the heck would you want to steal it?? Well, we all know what they say about Karma...
We lost power for about an hour, but as you can see, it is back on, and I need to get back to work....
- Glad I got my run in when I did -- it is POURING rain outside now! It actually started maybe 10 minutes after I got home. Karma was on my side for that one!
- I know the scale isn't always our friend, but just for fun, decided to step on after my run today just to see how much fluids I lost in my 6 miles of running. Keep in mind, I had a big breakfast (600 calories), plus lots of coffee, and then after I got back, a BIG glass of ice water and a banana. Result: 5.2 pounds down from my morning weigh-in!! Which means probably even a few more more pounds than that! Amazing to see the effect strenuous exercise has on us!
Thursday, July 03, 2014
Monday evening I picked up a new pair of running shoes from a real running store! My 3rd pair of Brooks, and this time they were fitted properly! Also purchased what I am told is a top of the line orthotic insert -- Superfeet -- to go inside.
New shoes got a real acid test outside today -- 4 mile run with the heat index over 100F! Wasn't a particularly fast run (in fact pretty darn slow!), but felt like I was running on pillows!
Next test: 5K race on Saturday! Can't wait!!
Monday, June 30, 2014
I recently commented about a friend's post on FB where she stated "Running sucks!". To put this post into perspective, she is preparing to run in her first 5K, but I am suspicious she is not following any sort of program to get there, like C25K, etc. I could not resist the opportunity to chide her just a bit (she is the same age as my son -- early 30's -- so I think of her like a 3rd daughter!), and pointed out that the running does not suck, just how she was approaching it. She backed off the "sucked" comment, admitted she was pushing too hard in training, needed new shoes, etc., etc.
What struck me as funny after having made those comments is just how far my own running evolution has come in less than 3 years.
I never thought running sucked prior to me starting, because I thought it was CRAZY to run in the first place! A few reasons for this backwards way of thinking:
1) I was horribly overweight for so many years!
2) My few vain attempts at running left me wheezing for breath!
3) I thought I had to be doing something in conjunction with doing exercise...i.e..playing basketball, soccer, football, etc. To just run and not be doing something else made no sense to me.
Fast forward to November, 2011. Just two months after LapBand surgery, weight was dropping nicely, and I got this surge of energy that had to be dealt with. Lo and behold, I discovered running! Slowly at first, but just 6 months after this "gotcha" moment, I was running in my first 5K.
What has surprised me is how my running has evolved. Understanding how important the right running shoes are, having a program and a plan to follow (Galloway), how adding a GPS running watch has really opened me up to new running adventures, and most importantly, how much fun it is just to run!
At age 57, I'm certainly not going to break any records other that my own PR's. And I'm good with that. What is important is to keep having fun and varied goals associated with running, find races to run near and far, help others discover the joy of running, and of course, just get out there and run!
Get An Email Alert Each Time PLMITCH Posts