Monday, August 08, 2011
As most of you know, I have picked up my exercise quite a bit the past week due to joining the YMCA and finding out just how out of shape I really am. My mom has kindly offered to pay the membership fee if I make use of it so I see it as a win-win situation.
So, I was up and at the gym for 8:30 this morning (even the dogs didn't want to get up and just opened one eye and went back to sleep) and did about 25 minutes of resistance training and then I went to an hours class of water aerobics. That was really nice because I ran into an old friend (she was actually my Maid of Honour) and we giggled our way through our exercises and thus didn't seem to notice the time. Anyway, there was one particular move where we hold these foam dumbbells in our arms and we had to hold our arms straight out and make circles. It looked so easy the first time but we were jogging too and we had to do it for four different sets. I so wanted to put my arms down but instead I looked straight ahead and whispered each of your names and you carried me through it! So if your ears were burning around 9:30 Newfoundland time you now know why!!!
When I got home I showered (any ideas how best to keep chlorine from killing your hair....mine is colour treated.....shucks, the secret is out.....and I don't want to cut it all off just yet. Then we walked the dogs for a short walk before eating lunch.
It was during lunch that I had another lightbulb moment! I wanted to go for a bike ride! Now, I have a good bike but just haven't used it. In fact, the last time I used it was over a year ago but off I went. I first rode to see my mom and grandmother and spent some time sitting outdoors with them at their "home'. Several other residents were out too so it was nice to chat. Then I rode home for a total of 10.70 km. I expect to be sore tomorrow!
You know all that foolishness people get on about how the more exercise you do the more you want to do...well, I'm learning that it is not foolish to think that way. Me? Who knew? I feel like I can take on the world....just imagine how good I'm going to feel once I shed some of my baggage! Yeah!
Oh, and the very best part of today was coming home to find a message on our answering machine to say that my friend is treating me to a manicure and pedicure tomorrow! Wow! All because I cat sat for her cats a few weeks ago! She had already given me a purse and a scarf and she put $100 on our account at the vet! I'm overwhelmed with her generosity!
Must go and get the BBQ ready.....filet mignon, salad, baked potatoes....here I come!!!! No, we don't have those steaks very often but they were on sale!!
Friday, August 05, 2011
If you are wondering about my blog title, it is named that because I wanted to write about a whole bunch of stuff some people might call nonsense but which I feel is important to me. Since I use my blogs as a journal first and foremost you don't have to read any further if you don't want to. But I know you are because that is why my SparkFriends are the very bestest! (and yes, I know that isn't a word but it did seem apt)
Today, I've accomplished several things. One was I went for a 5.5 km walk in the woods with my hubby and two dogs. It was on this walk that I had several break throughs in my thought process.
1. I let Louisa be a dog and didn't care when she got this dirty within minutes of our walk
We have lots of clean water and towels at home and she is at her happiest getting dirty...and besides her "smile" is contagious!
2. We came to a fork in the road so it was decision time. One road was dry and shorter and the other was much longer and who knew what lay beyond the next turn. It was then that I had a moment! Life is too short to always know what lies ahead of us! John was amazed that I wanted to take the longer trail and I couldn't even find the words to tell him why. It was such a beautiful day and I was spending time with those I loved the most....heck, why would I pick the short, boring trail! I've realized after much thought, that this can apply to my whole life. I am at a fork in the road......I've decided to take the path that I'm not comfortable with.....joining the gym. But, if I don't I will never know what I could have been!
3. I might have 'only" lost a grand total of 10 pounds in a year but carrying 10 pounds and walking a km sure felt like work!
Yes, I carried Maddy for about 1 km as he was sedated at the vet yesterday for a quick procedure and we didn't want him to over do it!
4. When you take the different path you see interesting stuff that you might have missed! Moose prints.....some were very fresh.....as in mere minutes!
5. And the final thing I realized (which is when I stopped because my brain cells were starting to fight back against overuse!) is that we make sure our dogs are always fed good quality food, eat only healthy snacks, are exercised twice a day, and get a lot of rest and relaxation but my husband and I don't do the same for ourselves. So, on the way home I stopped into a grocery store and stocked up on some "freggies"! I had a turkey breast all prepared to pop into the oven so I decided to roast some vegetables to go with it. I also bought an acorn squash which we've never had....all in the oven roasting with onions, carrots, turnip, sweet potato, garlic, and parsnip.
Oh, and another thing......I actually went to the gym while the above was roasting and did 30 minutes of resistance training!!!! Is it okay to declare a "proud of me day"?
P.S. sorry this pictures are sideways....they weren't that way on my computer! AAARRRGGHH
Thursday, August 04, 2011
Yes, it has been a whole year since I first logged into the Spark site to see what it was all about. Although I didn't officially start until the end of August (it was my first day back to work for the fall semester) my Spark anniversary was two days ago.......the day I sort of had my meltdown!
I've decided to make a list of the positive things that have happened to me during the past year:
1. Was introduced to Spark!
2. Adopted Louisa who is one of the best walking companions ever!
3. Have over 12,000 fitness minutes under my belt...yes, ME!
4. Survived a year with my husband gone back to school...he graduated with honours and I dealt with things on the homefront!
5. Went a year without having to adjust any of my medications for depression
6. My therapist "sees" big improvements in my outlook and attitude
7. Posted full length pictures of myself....in underwear (!) for a challenge!
8. Virtually climbed Gros Morne mountain and am working on the Newfoundland T'Railway
9. Have learned that I love to walk and have thus discovered new trails and roads
10. Have laughed more at my dogs who join me for my walks.....bunnies, frogs, moose, etc
11. Have gone a whole year on a "program" and have not quit!!!! Wow!
12. Have made the most wonderful friends and joined some great teams
13. Have worked hard on the all-or-nothing attitude
14. Have come to appreciate how drinking 8 glasses of water makes me feel
15. Am comfortable posting blogs that emotionally gut-wrenching!
16. Have posted photos of myself for people to see!
17. Have eaten some pretty good healthy meals (along with a few bad ones too) but the point is I know the difference
18. Have worked on my relationship with my mother and it is better than ever
19. People have noticed I seem to be more confident
20. I'm in the process of learning that this is journey and not a destination. I might step off the path to take in a few sights, I might get waylaid by some ailments, I might lose my way in the fog, but I'm still making overall progress!
Thanks to all of you who have helped me in ways you are really not even aware of!
P.S. I seem to have forgotten to mention my husband in all of this.....so here is reason 21: I am more in love with my husband than ever before and we are getting along so much better. Just shows what a little self-improvement can do to relationships you are in.
Get An Email Alert Each Time PCOH051610 Posts