Wednesday, July 02, 2014
So in June, I had grand ambitions, but I find myself simply wanting to find a hammock and a good book (or rev-up my Kindle) and have a good read under a tree, rather than exercising! Gotta change that!
Calorie count seems to be holding steady closer to the low end of my range -- that's good. However, another summer phenomena has kicked in -- the abundance of sweet snacks from S'mores to Ice Cream to Birthday & Graduation Party Cakes -- YIKES! Avoiding sweets had become a full-time job!
I know I can do this -- fresh fruit is abundant; summer veggies taste fresh and juicy, gardens are beginning to put out their bounty -- I have to buckle-down and be vigilant this summer!
Sunday, June 22, 2014
I bought some "easy" yoga videos and took some private instruction from my favorite trainer just yesterday. To really start a morning practice here, at home, I need to clear a little more space in my loft.
I want to do this for three reasons:
1. To increase flexibility & balance which, right now isn't bad, but I know these capacities deteriorate with age, so I want to stave that off for as long as I can!
2. To build functional strength which means, rather than lifting free-weights and risking injury, I would like to use my body weight (plenty of that to work with) to add strength to my hands, feet, arms, legs and back. Yoga should help me do that.
3. To alter my mood and attitude, especially on the mornings when I know I'll be spending an hour or so in traffic en route to work, so that a little of the serenity I wake with can carry me into the rest of the day.
Stay tuned for an update on actual results.
Monday, June 09, 2014
I saw my PCP last Friday and while she's not prepared to add thyroid medication to the mix right now, she did advise I focus on five things:
1. Tracking Calcium (and supplementing, if needed)
2. Minimizing carbs and choosing very carefully
3. Counting fruits & veggie servings --aim for 8-9 daily
4. Eating more often to sustain consistent blood glucose
5. Bumping activity levels up to 45 minutes 5 days per week!
So, that's the plan moving forward.
Wednesday, June 04, 2014
So, I had some lab work done this week and it turns out my TSH (Thyroid stimulating Hormone) is pretty high! That can indicate hypothyroidsim. I don't think I have many symptoms of hypothyroidism which can include tiredness, weight gain, feeling the cold, slowing down physically and mentally, dry skin, loss of hair, muscle cramps and muscle weakness, puffiness around the eyes, gruff voice, depression, hearing loss and constipation. But, I'll see my primary care provider on Friday and perhaps there is a drug in my future (synthroid, levothyroxin, etc.) that will boost my metabolism while it helps to make my thyroid gland more effective and efficient! We'll see. . .
Get An Email Alert Each Time PATHFINDER52 Posts