Thursday, September 25, 2014
I'm always looking for a way or a reason to re-boot and "start over" and beginning next week (October 29th) I will start a new job. This is itself seems reason enough to get my eating/exercising plan refreshed and renewed!
My plan is fairly simple -- repetition! I know it will likely get boring but, what I notice about my eating is that I choose poorly when I don't have a plan (something Weight Watchers tried to teach me decades ago!) so, I'm going to make an obvious plan and stock the refrigerator in such a way as to HELP myself rather than hinder my progress.
Mornings will start with a smoothie -- why? Because I can't concentrate in the morning on ingredients and especially not on "cooking" so, I'll prepare five (one for each day) blender cups with plain Greek yogurt, tahini, and almond milk. To this, I'll add ice cubes made from freshly juiced vegetables (I'll have time for jucing on Sundays). Each of these shakes will be roughly 300 calories of real nutrients worthy of being called breakfast!
Lunch will be soup and a hard-boiled egg -- at least until I get a better plan to use as a trade-off. The good thing is that it can be a different soup every day and again, prepared ahead of time for me to take-with as I head out the door!
Snacks will include veggies and low-fat dips (hummus, fat-free ranch dressing, etc.) and/or fresh fruit so that I'm able to take a break and "indulge" without guilt.
Supper can be any low-fat protein and veggies.
So, that's my plan. I'll begin this coming Monday (maybe earlier!) and I'll grocery shop on Saturday to make sure the refrigerator and pantry are well-stocked. We'll see how long I can stick to this plan. But, I feel better already, just knowing that I have one!
Wednesday, July 02, 2014
So in June, I had grand ambitions, but I find myself simply wanting to find a hammock and a good book (or rev-up my Kindle) and have a good read under a tree, rather than exercising! Gotta change that!
Calorie count seems to be holding steady closer to the low end of my range -- that's good. However, another summer phenomena has kicked in -- the abundance of sweet snacks from S'mores to Ice Cream to Birthday & Graduation Party Cakes -- YIKES! Avoiding sweets had become a full-time job!
I know I can do this -- fresh fruit is abundant; summer veggies taste fresh and juicy, gardens are beginning to put out their bounty -- I have to buckle-down and be vigilant this summer!
Sunday, June 22, 2014
I bought some "easy" yoga videos and took some private instruction from my favorite trainer just yesterday. To really start a morning practice here, at home, I need to clear a little more space in my loft.
I want to do this for three reasons:
1. To increase flexibility & balance which, right now isn't bad, but I know these capacities deteriorate with age, so I want to stave that off for as long as I can!
2. To build functional strength which means, rather than lifting free-weights and risking injury, I would like to use my body weight (plenty of that to work with) to add strength to my hands, feet, arms, legs and back. Yoga should help me do that.
3. To alter my mood and attitude, especially on the mornings when I know I'll be spending an hour or so in traffic en route to work, so that a little of the serenity I wake with can carry me into the rest of the day.
Stay tuned for an update on actual results.
Monday, June 09, 2014
I saw my PCP last Friday and while she's not prepared to add thyroid medication to the mix right now, she did advise I focus on five things:
1. Tracking Calcium (and supplementing, if needed)
2. Minimizing carbs and choosing very carefully
3. Counting fruits & veggie servings --aim for 8-9 daily
4. Eating more often to sustain consistent blood glucose
5. Bumping activity levels up to 45 minutes 5 days per week!
So, that's the plan moving forward.
Get An Email Alert Each Time PATHFINDER52 Posts