PAGONA   9,654
8,500-9,999 SparkPoints
PAGONA's Recent Blog Entries

March 23, Post Marathon

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I first want to thank everyone who replied to my Marathon Post, it really meant a lot to read them all.

How quickly I have recovered from my Marathon experience. It has only been 3 days, and I'm feeling amazing. I can get up for sitting and I'm running up and down the stairs, Just 2 days ago I was holding onto the rail going up and down the stairs and getting up from a seated position was really painful

I've made sure to ice the back of my legs (from top to bottom) at least twice a day for minimum 30 minutes. The pass two nights I had my husband use the rolling pin on the back side of my legs and butt, and morning and night I rubbed Blue Gel Pain Reliever on the back side of my legs and knees. It is amazing by doing all these things I'm feeling really good.

I plan on resting the rest of the week and getting back to running on Monday. I'm going to stay around 5 miles and then add to it. every few days.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

HILLRUNNER 3/25/2011 4:54PM

    Great job and keep up the healing!
You will be out there again before you realize it!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LYNNANN43 3/23/2011 7:43PM

    So glad your body is recovering!

And a big shout out to your Hubs, that rolling pin and the pain reliever gel! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
CYNTHIAMINUS40 3/23/2011 6:50PM

    This shows you've done a good job in your training. You raised your anaerobic threshold so your body recovered more efficiently. Now, you're ready and will be more motivated to take on your next race if you decide to!

You've signed up for a tri, haven't you?

Comment edited on: 3/23/2011 6:51:07 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
DEESJOURNEY2FIT 3/23/2011 6:06PM

    Way to go! I'm glad you are feeling much better!

Report Inappropriate Comment
4EVERADONEGIRL 3/23/2011 5:40PM

    Good job taking care of yourself so you can be rested up and back to running soon!

Report Inappropriate Comment

1st Marathon Part 2 -After the LA Marathon

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I want to thank my friend Thirdtimeacharm for posting my blog for me, every time I tried to post I would get booted out of my computer. But over these 18 hours I have been able to answer all the great post. And some of the post got me thinking that I talked about the race but not what happened after the race, so here I go.

After crossing the finish line I made my way to the the metal holders t get my prize, They draped it over my neck and wrapped me with the silver sheet to keep me warm, I was directed to take a photo with my medal so I did. I was then handed a bag to get food that was out, keep in mind it is raining and all the people are out there helping us by handing us banana, protien bars, chips, oranges, water, but at this point I just want to get my gear and get into some warm clothes, the rain is getting harder and the wind is blowing, I still can't feel my fingers or my toes, I took a photo with the girl that I ran the last 5 miles with and gave her a big hug and said thank you so much. I turned a way and followed the crowd of people, as some point I asked where was our gear, I was directed, just passed the Santa Monica Pier, well let me tell you the Santa Monica Pier was at least 3/4 to a full mile away, I was so not happy at this time, I just wanted to get warm and I know that was not going to happen any time soon, As I'm walking down the sidewalk hating every moment of the rain and the cold, I notice a lady walking and talking to the older gentlemen around 80+ years old, and heard he say this was his 26th LA Marathon, (that's how long it has been going on) for a moment I stopped think of me and what an amazing men he was, As he stopped she kept walking and I joined her, talking about how amazing he was. Again it was nice to have someone to talk to and not have to keep walking by myself to get my gear. As we made it to what should of the the Finish Line Expo it was a wet lot with alot of people packing up. I said by to my walking partner of 15 minutes and was directed to the Gear Check, when I got there there was peoples gear bags laid out on tables getting all wet, OMG all I could think of, was getting wet clothes, I was not very happy, I walked into the container where our bags were put into bins with a range of bib numbers and mine was not in the bin what it should of been in. After 5- or so minutes of looking (it felt like forever) I found my dry bag of clothes, I got my bag and started walking across the wet lot to where I though my car was parked and with only the gate open in site, my friend Jackie, said OMG I can't believe we ran into each other. (at this point I was just not in the right mind set, I saw her but really didn't hear her, I was cold, wet and my legs were starting to really hurt and wanted this to all be done, I remember telling her I'm sorry, I just want to go to my car and get home. I gave her a hug, kissed her cheek and said thank you. I walked away and as I got through the gate opening and asked directions to the City Center Parking Garage I was told it pack across the open lot, OMG all I could think was I was just then I was so close. I turned around and made my way to the parking garage, I noticed a few tents still set up, one being the Massage Tent I though for a moment about getting a massage but realized that was not going to happen, just go home.

I made it to the parking garage and realized I have to flights of stairs to climb to the to the second level. Each one of those steps just hurt, I can't explain the feeling but think of your worst pain that was what it felt like :), I made it to my car and remember me saying I had a sports car in my first email, that also means it was a stick shift. I'm trying to get my fuel belt and other things off of me and get them into the car so I can get in and get the car started. Again not being able to feel my fingers trying to get my fingers to get the keys much less press the button on the key to open the door was hard. But I did it and got into the car, started it up and put on the heat seater, turn the heat on to full blast. But after 5 minutes or so had going by I was not getting warm, I was so wet, I needed to get out of these clothes, but I broke down and cried, i could not get to my cell phone to call my husband then realized I could press the call button and say CALL DAVID KUBERT and my blue tooth connected me. he answered the phone and asked how I did, all I could do was cry, I told him I was wet, cold, and my legs hurt and all the other stuff that was not feeling so good,and how in the hell was I getting home, he offered to pick me up but in the middle of my meltdown I told him I would call him back in 5 minutes. I took off my wet running shoes and socks, and put on my dry socks, I open the car door and I was luck to have a wall behind me and that I backed into the parking spot so I got out of the car and took off my running pants, bear butt and all, I put on my dry pants and go back into the car. the wet seat was almost dried and my butt started to feel warm, I took my shirt and put it under the visor and closed it and the long part of the shirt went in the back of the steering wheel, I then took of my two wet tops. OMG it was a funny site let me tell you, I then got my bra and my shirt on. My body started to warm up pretty fast. the car was nice a toasty at this point. I took all my wet stuff and put it into my gear bag. I called my husband back and told him he did not need to come and get me and I was OK to drive home. It took me a little more then an hour to get home, becasue I was sitting and not moving my legs I did not hurt at all. I'm glad I picked up a bar, banana and water after the race. I ate those on my drive home. It was still raining hard to the traffic was pretty bad.

Around 4:30pm I pulled into my garage, 15 hours earlier I had just woken up. What a long day. I opened the car door and waited a minute to see if someone was going to come out and help me. That didn't happen, I some how got all my gear and got out of the car. OK that was not easy, by that time my son open the door to the garage and gave me a huge smile, I put my stuff down and made it to the living room, when I sent on the couch for the next 3 hours. doing that time I iced my butt, hamstrings and knees. My husband made me dinner and started me a hot bath, the bath felt good but getting out of the tub was hard. I got dressed put my son to bed watched a little of the Marathon that my husband had taped for me, around 8:30pm I took a Advil PM and did not wake up until 8:10am

I was really sore the next morning, I babied myself, I iced, I put gels and creams that would help with the pain from my calf's to my upper legs. the hardest part of yesterday was getting up for a seated position I felt like I was 100 years old. (ok I have no idea what that would feel like but if I did it was the pain I was feeling) As the day and night went by I was ready for bed. I asked my husband (don't laugh) to take the rolling pin and roll it up and down the back of my calf's to my butt. Let me tell you it hurt but it was a good hurt. I stretch out a little and just laid in bed, before I knew it it was 1am and I was wide awake, I did finally fall asleep. work up at 7am and felt 50% better, I can get up and down for a seated positing and I can even walk up and down the stair, and getting out of the car was not so bad. I think a couple more days I will be back to normal.

Well there you go. What it was like for me after my 1st Marathon.

OH don't let me forget, In less then three weeks I will be doing my first 12 person 36 leg relay 209 miles. My team has been really nice to me they have given me the easy legs. (6 miles, 2.7 miles and 4.5 miles) I look forward to posting that blog soon.

Thank you again for allowing me to share my experience with ya'll

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CPONCETI 3/23/2011 9:50AM

  Pagona! What an experience. I'm know you must feel wonderful that you ran this marathon even though it was made more grueling because of the weather and too much walking after for you. You should be a writer because you wrote about this experience that I felt your pain. After being somewhat jaded from this I am surprised you still want to run the relay. I am very proud of you. You ROCK woman! I'm glad your back from the brink.Much love, Cheryl

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOMONTHERUN1 3/23/2011 9:31AM

    Awesome job!!! Take care of yourself and take some time off of running now to recoup. You are AMAZING!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SIOBHANKNITS 3/22/2011 9:15PM

    Good job taking care of yourself! What determination you have! Best wishes for future races! Now you know the worst case scenario--they will all be cake after this time! Ha!

Report Inappropriate Comment
4EVERADONEGIRL 3/22/2011 5:31PM

    You definitely are a WARRIOR!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LYNNANN43 3/22/2011 5:02PM

    Lord, I hurt just READING this!

After reading this, I'm hoping for MUCH better weather for the Pittsburgh marathon. (my first HM) I was only worried about the heat (stupid MS), but now I know how bad the rain & wind can be!

I hope you're feeling a little stronger every hour!

The relay is sure gonna be a breeze for you!!! GOOD LUCK!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SLEEPYDEAN 3/22/2011 3:35PM

    And even after all of that, you plan to do another. haha

Wow, quite the ordeal after finishing 26.2.

Sounds like you are doing the Ragnar Relay? I have added a relay to my "running bucket list" and hope to do that within the next couple of years.

Report Inappropriate Comment
AMARILYNH 3/22/2011 3:22PM

    Oh wow - it shouldn't have been that bad! I think the cold and rain must have made your soreness worse than normal - don't think they are all this bad!! While tiredness and soreness are to be expected, the weather obviously made it worse than it would have been. But look at it this way - it can only get better the next time!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CHBADILLO 3/22/2011 3:18PM

    Whew! I'm tired just reading what you went through. LOL What an accomplishment though :) Good luck in your next race.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CYNTHIAMINUS40 3/22/2011 3:12PM

    I sure wish the weather had been better for you. I'm an OC native and it seems like the skies wait until a special event to open up and pour on! I'm glad it was a good experience overall for you. I can't wait to hear about your next event! Wow! that sounds awesome.

Report Inappropriate Comment
BUTTERFLY_MT 3/22/2011 2:57PM

    Awesome. :D I'm exhausted just reading it. Great job and I'm sure that you'll feel even better AND stronger soon.

Report Inappropriate Comment

1st Marathon, March 20, 2011 LA Marathon

Monday, March 21, 2011

Well I did it. My 1st Full Marathon 26.2 Miles

The night before I knew I needed to get a really good night sleep. Since I did not sleep well Friday night I was lucky to get a broken 3 hours. So at 6:30pm Saturday nightI took a Advil PM, would of taken a Advil anyway to help with my muscles. Adding the PM helped me get the sleep I needed. I watch the last 5 minutes of the news just in time to see what the weather was going to be like on Sunday, RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN. I had asked my husband to not sleep our bedroom that night because I really wanted to get a full night sleep, (I'm a very light sleeper) So he was kind enough to respect my wishes. By 7pm I was out cold I woke up at 1:30am pretty much awake, but did not get out of bed until 1:45am, my alarm was set for 2am.

I made my way to the bathroom where all my stuff was laid out, You could hear the rain just coming down, there was moments when I was getting dressed I was thinking what in the hell am I doing, I should just get back in bed. But a friend I mine (Sheri) told me once "I only run it the rain if I'm running a race". Well I was running a race so I better get moving, and that is what I did, got dressed and headed to the kitchen to get my coffee started, and when I turned on the light there was a sign from my hubby saying GO GO PAGONA,

I knew he was not going to make it to the race to watch me so that meant a lot to me. I ate my breakfast at 2:30am, got the rest of my stuff packed and by 3:15am I was pulling out of my garage, and watching the rain pouring onto the car. Again I'm thinking what am I doing???

I make it to the freeway and there are no cars, with in a couple of minutes I see a few, thinking well these people must be going to the LA Marathon, Why else would anyone be on the freeway on Sunday at 3:20am. Well by 3:24am the few of us on the freeway come to and stand still, there was a one car spin out, it was pretty bad, we must of wanted there for a good 10 minutes for them to clear the car from the middle of the freeway. Then we were off, all I could think about is I had 30 minutes to get to the parking lot in Santa Monica to get parked and get on my shuttle that was taking us to the start of the race at Dodger Stadium. The roads were so wet and the water puddles were so bad, I have a sports car and I was driving really slow because every time I hit a puddle I felt as if I was going to spin out. Well that never happened :), I did make it in time to park and got there early enough to get a spot in the parking garage. At this point it was not raining and I was feeling really, really good about the race. I met up with 2 Sparkfriends Jackie and Susanne , We all got on the bus and off we went,

We were at Dodger Stadium by 4:35am, WOW all I could think was we have 3 hours until the race starts. We walk into the Stadium and they had a row of tables with Bananas, Bagels, and coffee, I got a banana and a bagel, and headed into the stadium and sat, Well I really didn't sit that long because I must of went to the bathroom at least 3 or 4 times in 2 hours. I did get a photo with Chris Shchauble a News Caster on Channel 5 KTLA, He was covering the Marathon.

I asked if I could take a picture with hime, then I took a photo of this guy who had barly any clothes on, I did notice he had a letter C in front of his bib number that meant he ran better then a 8 minute mile so they got to start in the front of the line behind the Elite Runners.

Around 6:30 we went to check in our gear, (all of my clothes so I can change after the race) Then made it to the porta-potty's one last time. Wow let me tell you my nerves was working overtime. I know this sounds bad, but in three hours I had 4-5 bathroom trips I bet I lost 10+ pounds I'm glad there was tolit paper (read between the lines)

It is about 6:45am and we headed to the corrals, we decided to start in the 12:00 minute corral, we were really in the back of the 11:00 minute once everyone made it into the corrals,

Picture over 25,000 people it was amazing by time I took this photo the race had already start 13 minutes are so. I started 16 minutes after the race stated.

We sung the Star Spangle Banner (I think) and held our heads in silence for a minute for everyone in Japan. I was a great moment, you did not hear one person say a word. AMAZING. Before you know it the race started, the Wheel Chairs, The then Elite Women, then 17 minutes the rest of the pack including the Elite Men, By time I crossed the start line it was around 7:41am. I was feeling really good, but wasn't sure where Jackie and Suzanne were, so I kept looking back, Jackie and I was side by side for a few moments and I had asked if she had her music on and she said yes, so at that point I turned on my music and before I knew it was I was moving, I looked back a couple of times for Jackie to see where she was, and at some point I didn't see her, I remembered her saying once this is something you have to do for yourself and she was right, So I listen to my music and wanted to make the best of my 1st Marathon, I was texting, and taking photo, I reached Mile 2, and took a photo of the Los Angeles City Hall,

and China Town at mile 3,

and mile 4 was the first hill, it was short but steep, I walked it because I knew I still had 22 miles to go, still no rain, I made it to the 10K (6.2miles) marker in 1 hr, 16 minutes I was feeling really good slower then I wanted, I had some good music playing a just watching all the runners, I made it to the 7 mile marker and took my last photo because it started to rain,

Also by this time I need to go to the bathroom I saw a somewhat short line at the porta-pottys, so I stopped, I must of stood there maybe 2-3 minutes if not more and decided I really didn't have to go, It was cutting into my time. I had to get my fuel belt back on and all that other stuff. I ran another mile and noticed I was running pass a friends restaurant and went in there to go to the bathroom, it was so nice to use a real bathroom, but I must of spent at least 5 -6 minutes getting my stuff off, going to the bathroom, and getting it all back on, and before I knew it I was on the road again, By time I reached mile 8 it started to pour, I had already taken off my rain jacket because it was getting hot and wrapped it around my fuel belt. I was still feeling good, and before I knew it I was at mile 12 with a time of 2 hours and 38 minutes (approx) a little slower then my 1/2 Marathon time, but I was ok with that. I hurt my hamstring really bad on Superbowl Sunday and it was still healing. before I knew it I was at mile 17 Between Miles 8 and 17 we ran down Sunset Blvd we could see the Hollywood Sign that was pretty cool then down. Hollywood Blvd. Where they have all the Stars on the sidewalks. I ran passed my husband favorite restaurnt I got to do a quick interview at mile 15, It was pretty cool. but by Mile 17 in Beverly Hills my Ipod just stop working right in the middle of a song. It was raining so hard I didn't know if the battery died or it just got wet. So now I had to self motivate myself. The rain was getting harder and harder and the puddles are getting deeper, and deeper. My shoes and feet were getting wetter and wetter, and Mile 18 was coming up, I was warned that mile 18 -21 was hard it was all up hill it was a steady climb, and in between 20-21 was a steep uphill, I had already told myself just walk and run what you can. By mile 18 I had been running for 4 hours 5 minutes (approx) mentally I hit a wall, I had no music, my hamstrings were starting to hurt, they had people spraying this pain reliever stuff on what ever part of your body you wanted it on, so I got sprayed :), Making it through miles 18-21 was so hard, it was raining so much again my shoes and socks were soaked, my feet were frozen and so were my fingers, I just wanted it to be over, I had so much stuff going through my head, Like, All my MIM's (moms in motions, that I have trained with this past year to get ready for this marathon, and thinking of small things that people have told me, Your An Animal, Your Amazing, You Have Come So Far, the best one is Your An Inspriation To Me, and remembering me telling my husband after I did my 1st 1/2 Marathon almost 1 year to date, that I would never run a marathon because I fell like a bus has run over me, and him telling me yea right when are you signing up of the LA Marathon, and next Sunday I'm meeting a few sparkfriends for lunch, and I can't tell them I quit, and if I quit how will I get to my car, (BTW I would of never quit) and thinking of Sweetnskinny finishing her 1st Marathon just 9 week earlier in just over 6 hours. The competitor in me said you have to beat Sweetnskinny's time. By this time I just ran through the 21 mile marker. and then thinking to myself I've now ran more then 3/4 of the marathon in approx 4 hours and 52 minutes. I only have 5 miles to go. I'm thinking it could take me anywhere 50 minutes and 90 minutes at worst. I knew I could not do a 10 minute mile so the 50 minutes was not happening. Then just at the end of that though I noticed this girl that for the last 4 miles we had been passing each between running and walking, She had just stopped running and I had just started running so I ran to her and asked if she wanted to finish the race together, I told her that my goal was to finish under 6 hours. She looked at me and said OMG, I was just telling myself I wished I had someone to help push me, and there you are.. So we started to to run together, we made it one mile, and my hamstring was really killing me and her foot was killing her. I said lets run until we get to the 23 mile marker then we will walk, we only walked for a few minutes and started up again, with in that one mile we stopped and walked a few time. I hit the wall, but I knew I needed to make it to that finish line and I wouldn't make it if I walked any more, so as passed the 24 mile marker I said lets not walk anymore, we only have 2 miles to go. " Let me tell you my hamstrings and the back of my knees were killing me but it was hurt more to walk then try to start running again. At this point I wanted it to be over. So we pointed to the street signs and said OK we will run to the 3rd sign, then the 3rd big tree, before you know it we were at mile 25 and I had been running already, 5 hours and 42 minutes.(approx) I knew I had to keep moving, we rounded the last corner on to the final stretch for 3/4 of a mile, at some point I hear someone say only 800 meter then i hear only 400 meters then the girl I was running with said it's all you go ahead, I picked up my speed as much as I could and I ran across that finish line, I put both hands to my month and blew a big kiss out and said I did it.

My official Chip Time was 5 hours 55 minutes and 51 seconds.
Overall I placed 14,197 out of 19658
Females I place 4,751 out of 7,780
Women Division 45-49, I placed 404 out of 662
Age Grade I was 42.2%
My average pace was a 13.34 minute mile

Considering the rain, the hurt hamstring and losing my music I think I did pretty well, When I first decided to do the LA Marathon I wanted to finish under 5hr 30 minutes, at one point I ran 19 miles in 3 hours 45 minutes so I felt I could of done it in 5 hours and when I hurt myself I really though I would not be able to run, but I put all things aside and I knew I would hate myself if I did not do this, and now that I have I'm so proud of myself, If you put your mind to it you can do anything, I have to thank everyone of my friends and family for being there for me and supporting me through all of this, So this Marathon was not just for me it was for each one of y'all, Thank you,

Now my next Marathon will be for me,

Yes I will do another Marathon

P.S. If you want to see more pictures go to and go to order your race photos and then order your 2011 race photos here (in orange) and put in Kubert and bib number 10282.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

HILLRUNNER 3/25/2011 5:04PM

    Congrats on becoming a marathoner!
You have the fantastic memories of doing this for you!
Excellent report and onward to the next one!
I think you are hooked!
emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOMONTHERUN1 3/23/2011 9:34AM

    emoticon on finishing tour first Marathon!! That is awesome and I am so happy for you. I can only dream of running a full marathon one day! Loved the pictures and it is awesome that your husband supports you. Loved the sign that he made for you!

Keep running!!!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

    You're amazing! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SUEINTHEPARK 3/23/2011 12:29AM

    Wow! Congrats on your fantastic first marathon! You did AWESOME!!!
emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
I saw the KTLA guy in your picture on the coverage, running along with people and interviewing them (and thought he had pretty nice looking legs, to boot!). I also saw some other stationary interviews - maybe one of them was you??? At any rate, between watching it and then reading your account, it has really come alive for me. I have SO much respect for you toughing it out in that rain! WAY TO GO!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
HEALTH4LYFE 3/22/2011 9:54PM

    WOW!! I had tears and chills while reading your blog. I ran my second 1/2 this past weekend, and my running conditions were nothing like what you experienced. I admire and respect you for an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud! You are a marathoner! You are an inspiration! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SIOBHANKNITS 3/22/2011 9:09PM

    You are an amazing woman! Thank you for sharing this account of your experience. For the first time I'm feeling very healthy going into a half marathon (my third) in two weeks. I hope I can do the LA Marathon in 2012 if I can stay healthy.

Report Inappropriate Comment
BUGSMOM211 3/22/2011 6:34PM

    emoticonon your finish! Way to motivate others and inspire many! Happy Running!! emoticonWinner!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
HEATHERSTEW 3/22/2011 6:08PM

    I started crying reading your blog. Being from So Cal, I know how horrible conditions were on Sunday. You are an inspiration to a novice runner.

Report Inappropriate Comment
PSSN4FITNESS 3/22/2011 5:52PM

    Wow!! Fabulous! I am so inspired now to do a marathon. I can't imagine running it int he rain! You are a rock star!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LAHAWLEY2000 3/22/2011 1:18PM

    You are amazing! I LOVED reading your detailed race report!
WTG Marathoner!

Report Inappropriate Comment
4EVERADONEGIRL 3/22/2011 12:41PM

    Way to go - you truly triumphed in style! Great report, but even more so - great job running a marathon and finishing under 6 hours! You ARE an inspiration!

Report Inappropriate Comment
AMARILYNH 3/22/2011 12:33PM

    As a former marathon runner I loved every minute of reading your blog! My favorite part was when you inspired the other girl to finish with you - running is made even more special by relationships like that!! You don't know, you'll probably never see her again, but for those important minutes you helped each other!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BEFIT_WITHGUSTO 3/22/2011 11:57AM

    CONGRATS!!! That is amazing and you should be so proud!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOYINRUNNING08 3/22/2011 11:40AM

    Yahoooo! Congratulations, those brutal conditions and you still did really well! :)

Report Inappropriate Comment
ALEXSMOMMYRUNS 3/22/2011 11:13AM

    Thank you for posting your race report - you gave such a vivid report!! Running in wet shoes and socks is the worst...great job for pushing through in tough racing conditions. You really are an inspiration!! I am doing my first marathon in the fall, and I love reading about people who've made it!!

Thank you, and congratulations again.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ROOT4HOME 3/22/2011 10:34AM

    What a moving blog about your 1st marathon experience!! I could feel your pain and determination as you & the other runner made it mile after mile to the finish line! Congratulations!! One day I'm going to run a marathon too and will always remember your blog as inspiration!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
TENACIOUSTIGER 3/22/2011 10:11AM

    how awesome your blog made me cry,you should be extremely proud of yourself. I am going ok slowly but surely, i'm trying to keep an eye on the big picture emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
EDGEOFSANITY 3/22/2011 10:07AM

    Congrats on finishing your first marathon! And in some pretty tough conditions =)

Report Inappropriate Comment
PHDMAMA06 3/22/2011 9:52AM

    CONGRATULATIONS on your first marathon! Kudos for sticking with it through such awful weather conditions too!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
TAMTAM64 3/22/2011 9:46AM

    Congrats on becoming a marathoner & for sticking it out in that AWFUL running weather! :)

I'm so thrilled for you!

Run Strong,

Report Inappropriate Comment
TERJEGOLD 3/22/2011 9:30AM

    What an amazing blog. You DID IT! I'm so freaking proud of you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LLLAWSON 3/22/2011 8:39AM

    Congratulations!! Great job!! I don't know if I could push thru all that rain. You can do anything. emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SLEEPYDEAN 3/22/2011 1:05AM

    What are the chances that we'd get so much rain on Sunday in So Cal? I was very lucky that the rain stopped Saturday morning in time for my triathlon. But it has pretty much been raining ever since.

I watched a lot of the coverage in awe. I swear I even saw you at one point.

Sounds like a very long, tiring day, but something you'll never forget. Congratulations on pushing through all of those impediments and making it happen!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SWEETNSKINNY 3/22/2011 12:45AM

    Well, YOU DID IT!!!!! And, you beat my time :) congrats!!!!!!!!!! hope you are TOO sore this week!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BUTTERFLY_MT 3/22/2011 12:08AM

    Bob Harper (Biggest Loser) said on Facebook/Twitter that it was raining for the marathon, so when I saw your blog in the BLC15 side scroller, I had to check it out. Great story and wonderful job. Awesome job on finding someone to help push/pace to. That's something that helped in my latest 5k, although that was still mostly walking.

Thanks so much for the inspirational story!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CYNTHIAMINUS40 3/21/2011 11:52PM

    When I got to the part where the girl you were running with slowed down and let you have that moment - it made me cry! What a wonderful experience, rain and all! Congratulations on this incredible milestone!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MENT2BE 3/21/2011 11:47PM

    CONGRATULATIONS!!! So proud of you!! When I read Jackie's comments on FB about the weather and then read your blog....well it's official. You are a WARRIOR!!! A MARATHONER!!!!!

emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LYNNANN43 3/21/2011 11:37PM

    I kept hearing about all the rain in LA and thought of you & Jackie the whole time!

I'm so very proud of you!

emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOTIVATED@LAST 3/21/2011 11:27PM

    1st marathon? That's awesome!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LITTLEDEBI 3/21/2011 11:25PM

    Wow that is wonderful and good for you! I enjoyed reading about your day, (sorry you had so much rain).
What an inspirational blog....Thank you.

Report Inappropriate Comment
DEESJOURNEY2FIT 3/21/2011 11:22PM

    Way to go Pagona, I am so proud of you! You are a super star.

Report Inappropriate Comment

19+ Mile Run Today - 49 Days Until the LA Marathon

Sunday, January 30, 2011

What a great day today, With the rain and everything. Today Jackie my Spark Friend (MISSJCISRUNNING) and I did a training run. We started at Peir 52 in Marina Del Ray, It started off to be a very, very nice day the sun was out then around mile 3 it started raining. Well our plan was for a 18 mile run.

I was happy to follow Jackie's running plan since I had never ran 18 miles and really did not want to kill myself. Her plan called for a 12 minute pace for the 1st 8 miles and then a 13 minute pace for the 2nd 8 miles. now I'm a 9:45-10:45 minute pacer so what we did was run and walk for 1 - 4 minutes then run some more. when looking back at my Nike + my runs were in the 10:15 pace and my walks were in the 13 minute pace. My Nike + was off about 1/4 miles from Jackie's GPS tracker and I ran a little extra then would run back to her. then I didn't log in the last 1/4 + mile back to my car. . So all in all I tracked 19.09 miles 3hr 35 minutes with an average pace of 11.15.

And I have to tell you. I fell great. If it was not for Jackie's Run /walk I don't think I would be felling so good right now.

When I got home My husband had the steam room fired up and it set in there for maybe 5 minutes and just stretched and then took a 70 degree shower. OMG it felt so good.

I fell 100% I'm ready for the LA Marathon, Next week I'm going to go for 20 - 21 miles.

Thank you Jackie your the best

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:


    sounds like your training is going really well, I'll be looking in to see how your doing, itwill be great to follow your progress have a great week. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LLLAWSON 2/4/2011 8:31AM

    Great job on the run. I like the run/walk. I use the Jeff Galloway method and it helps me mentally to know that at some point I get a little break. I think it also helped me after my half to feel really good and not so worn out. I felt like I could have gone more if I had to.

Report Inappropriate Comment
SWEETNSKINNY 1/31/2011 12:25AM

    I am so proud of you.

I'm sorry I missed your call today, your message was so incredibly sweet!!!

hope you arent too sore tomorrow. I've never done an ice bath, but I have gone in the HOT TUB at the gym after my long runs (the 18 and 20 milers) and loved it and I definitely think THAT helped the day after. Marathon day, after the run, i'm gonna stand in my aunts non heated swimming pool. NO ICE BATHS for me!

SO SO SO proud of you! You are READY for that marathon!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MSEVERLAST 1/30/2011 11:11PM

    Amazing, simply amazing.

Report Inappropriate Comment
THIRDXACHARM 1/30/2011 9:26PM

    I don't think I even drove 19 miles today.

Glad you have a spark friend to run with and motivate you with her training plan. I'm sure that helps. Sounds like a beautiful area to run.

Comment edited on: 1/30/2011 9:27:26 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
POINTAFTER 1/30/2011 8:43PM

    Trish makes sense. NFL players take ice baths. I spent a lot of time with ice during physical therapy myself.

The ice bath does sound like torture though!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RUNNERHI 1/30/2011 8:01PM


Congratulations on your first 19 miler! Don't be surprised if you're sore tomorrow- it usually hits me the next day.

I'm a marathoner too and just wanted to offer a tip. That hot shower and steam room sound heavenly, but what you really want to do it cold. I know it sounds like torture, but you need to get into a bath with totally cold water. An ice bath is suggested, but I myself can't bring myself to do it. But turning the water up to the coldest you can get to, and getting in, maybe drinking something hot while you're in there so you can tolerate it longer, will be a lot better for you.

When you go for long runs like that, you're muscles, feet tendons- everything- swell. And going into a hot shower definitely feels good, but it makes everything swell even more. A cold bath stunts the swelling and helps repair microtears in the muscles and you'll thank yourself after about the first 5 minutes, when you get past the shock and into the numbness, that you did it.

I ran 12-13 today, not sure, but I got into the ice bath when I got home. And believe me, I live in CT, we're surrounded by mountains of snow and it's been such a frigid winter- the last thing I wanted to do was get into cold water after I ran in 20 degree weather (which was a heat wave compared to how it's usually been lately.) But I feel great now, not much soreness, and I did a lot of intense hills in that run. Normally by now I'd be feeling it.

Look at Runner's World web site and search on ice baths or recovery ideas. They'll explain the physiology better than I can.

Again, congratulations on a great run. And good luck on your Marathon. sounds like you're really ready.


Report Inappropriate Comment

53 Days in Counting for the LA Marathon

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Well I didn't get in my 7 miles yesterday, My day just got way to busy, But I did get 3.5 miles in today. and will plan for another run either tomorrow or Friday. Then Sunday it's planned. either 16 - 18 miles. I'm running with a Spark Friend (Missjcisrunning) She is also running the LA Marathon, Very excited to have someone to run with

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CUTIECAT1 1/27/2011 8:48AM

    GOOD LUCK running the marathon!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Last Page