Saturday, April 13, 2013
Here are four recipes I tried out this week as part of the spring 2013 challenge:
GRILLED VEGGIE SANDWICH
Ingredients: Eggplant, zucchini, romaine lettuce or spinach, hummus, muenster cheese, sprouted grain bread, olive oil (optional)
1. Slice eggplant and zucchini lengthwise. I very lightly brushed the slices with olive oil.
2. Grill eggplant and zucchini in oven. I did 425F, leaving the eggplant for about 15 mins and the zucchini for 25mins.
3. Toast sprouted grain bread.
4. Slightly melt muenster cheese on veggies or bread. Add lettuce and hummus to the sandwich.
COUSCOUS & QUINOA w/ SQUASH & PINE NUTS
1/2 cup of quinoa
1/2 cup of couscous
1 medium summer squash
1 medium winter squash
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp of dried basil
1 tbsp of pine nuts
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1 1/4 cup of water
dash of salt
1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Boil 1 1/4 cup of water with vegetable bouillon cube and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add thyme and basil.
2. While water is boiling, slice winter and summer squash.
3. Put 1tbsp on cookie sheet. Toss squash on sheet to cover. Sprinkle with a dash of salt.
4. Place squash in oven and roast for 10-15 minutes.
5. Once water is boiling, add couscous and quinoa. Remove pot from heat and cover with lid. Keep covered for 15-20 minutes.
6. Add squash and pine nuts.
2 jalapeno peppers
1 poblano or anaheim pepper
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped
salt & pepper
lemon juice (optional)
1. Roast peppers in oven. I usually do 425F for 20mins.
2. Chop onion and mince garlic while waiting.
3. After peppers are done, let them cool down. Then, cut and remove seeds from peppers.
4. Blend all the ingredients together.
POTATOES & POBLANO PEPPERS
4 medium sized potatoes
3 poblano peppers
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Boil potatoes with a dash of salt in water.
3. Place poblano peppers in oven & roast for 15-20 mins. Turn over once.
4. Cut onions, dice potatoes, and chop peppers into strips.
5. Put 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in pan & heat up. Then, add onions and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Add potatoes and cook until ready.
7. Add peppers & cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Optional: I like to serve this in either corn or flour tortillas for tacos.