Saturday, September 29, 2012
This blog is for my 5% Challenge Countdown Assignments. These 5% Challenges are by invitation only... and the teams are limited, so I feel lucky to be a part of it... It's time I actually make good and LOSE my 5% this time.
These are the Countdown Assignments:
1) Have you got your gym clothes, runners, water bottle, etc. ready to go? got what I have.
What is your exercise plan? to do something 5 days per week: SP 28 Day Bootcamp DVD... with a sprinkling of walking and samba reggae.
Do you know what diet you will follow? low carb again. It's been a while, but I always did well and felt wonderful with this plan. I'll be eating lots of fresh veggies, low carb fruits like berries and melons, lean meats like chicken breast, no skin, and drinking lots of water. I will totally be avoiding the "white" food group.
Found some recipes? have cookbooks and the internet. :)
Have you stocked up on the foods? I'll be grocery shopping next week.
Do you know how to connect with your team mates? yep
Did you put your Fall 5% Challenge Commitment on your page? I did.
2) Update the Sparkpage. I do that often... but it's time for a Halloween Re-do.
3) The Reasons:
What do you want to change? my fat person mentality... the way I look at food, exercise and myself.
How do you want to look? Duh. Thinner, healthier, ... good. :)
How do you want to feel? I want to feel good and confident about being in my own skin. no more embarrassment, no more low self-esteem, no more hiding.
What things will you be able to do in the future with a slimmer healthier body? Go up the stairs to my office without getting winded. Shop in regular sizes ... anywhere and totally ROCK anything I want to wear. Concentrate on tasks at hand instead of worrying what people might be thinking of me. Run into old friends and classmates and say hello instead of running the other way. Finally attend a class reunion. And everything I put in this poster I made years ago....
And list all the OTHER things that you want to change! I want to read more, dance more, be involved with more things, and spend less time worrying about the way I look and what other people think and spend more time living and loving life!
4) List ALL your trigger foods. Mostly sweets, but also Mexican food. I can just eat salsa and tortillas all day. Throw in guacamole and I'm in heaven. :)
What are the sources of the Triggers Foods? Usually stuff I have here at home. I have a family and can't eliminate some of their favorite foods just because I can't seem to control myself. Also... a local Mexican food restaurant... when my co-worker is wanting something from there, I have a very very very hard time not getting myself some guacamole and chips.
Describe the most common situations where you reach for the trigger foods or snacks. What room are you in? The living room. What time is it? Normally right after work. What are you doing? Relaxing and watching tv. Who is with you? I am usually alone because the kids are busy with homework. How do you feel? Tired, deserving of a treat and some chill time. Are you eating to feel better? Yes. Are you bored? Sometimes. By getting the food how does it make what you are doing better? Double the enjoyment :) a great show and great food. What should you be doing at that time? Chilling without food.
Do you see a pattern? Definitely. What types of foods are you reaching for? Usually leftovers from suppers and if there are none, then anything that's FAST. Does convenient access make a difference? Tremendously. How can you better handle the situations to avoid the triggers and not binge or eat more than you should. Willpower. I'm not hungry, really, most of the time, and if I am I should grab a fruit. and JUST THE ONE. Often my eating after work turns into a binge. :/
How will you not do that again? Perhaps not watch tv, I could read instead or maybe go for a walk... naaa.... for me that's not realistic. I should plan for my after work time.
Write out your strategy to avoid the Triggers. I will drink more water and have a small snack ready specifically for this time... and NOT leftovers. With the cold weather coming, I could drink my coffee. I love coffee when the weather is cool. More importantly, I will stay focused on my goals... even the little ones like not pigging out after work in front of the tv. Yes.... that's one of my daily goals. :)
5) Knowing my numbers: I will fill this in on day one of the challenge.
October 6, 2012 Day 1 Current weight: 246
Target weight for this challenge: 233
By when? December 1, 2012
Calories per day: it says 1250 to 1600 when I enter my number in goals & progress, but I plan on shooting for more around 1000 to 1300
Calories to burn per day: about 200
6) Is there something you eat often that you have learned to cut the calories on? What works best for you? Do you have something you can share? I do the basics that most know of already.... removing skin from chicken, choosing lower fat and caloried salad dressings, eliminating sugared drinks (no sense drinking calories!) increasing WATER, cutting portion sizes on higher calorie foods, and increasing portion sizes on low calorie foods like fresh veggies. Using cooking sprays instead of butter when sauteeing or cooking. I find planning and measuring to be highly effective.
7) Clean out and tidy the frige, cabinets, and pantry. Assess the diet plan, make menus, make a grocery list, shop... Get the food in order. I will be working on doing all this this week.
8) List YOUR reasons/excuses on why YOUR diets and exercise plans have not been well executed in the past. I have problems with focus, portion control, laziness, giving in to temptation, negative self-talk, boredom, emotional eating, and time.
Write a strategy that will keep you on track....
focus: daily reminders and post-it notes everwhere I feel I need to be reminded.
portion control: measuring, planning and willpower.
laziness: stop it. yeah I wish it were that easy. I'd much rather watch tv or read than exercise.... but I have to be in contol, so ... stop it. I have to use my strength to get over the laziness....
giving in to temptation: will power to say no. I have it in me, and as long as I'm focused this one is fairly easy...
negative self-talk: stop myself in mid criticism and replace with positive self-talk....
boredom: learn to live with it and handle it. Find something to occupy myself, but remember there will be times of boredom... and that it is not a open invitation for eating...
emotional eating: write instead. don't take it out on food or myself, take it out on paper. Write when I feel like eating and I KNOW I'm not hungry....
and time: we all find time to do things we really want to do.... I can do this, too.
9) Track Your Progress with a Measuring Tape - will do and I'll post them on my measurements tracker.
10) Are you prepared to reach your goals? (Quiz) My result: You're well on your way to reaching your goals! But you could help yourself get there more easily by implementing a few changes, like enlisting a diverse support group, tracking your progress, and rewarding yourself along the way.
I scored not so great because of choices I made in the past, and I don't have everything all planned out just yet... namely my number, but I'll get those on day 1 of this challenge.
11) Join your Challenge Team and participate: Introduce Yourself, welcome others, read blogs and discussion comments and post a comment... Done!
12) Meet and greet members of your Challenge team... new members! ... Done!
Ok, well those are it... and I'm ready to get ready :) I still have the food to get in order: menu and grocery list making and the shopping... and I still have my initial weigh ins and goals to set from that. Participation will be daily. I am a Casual Traveler again for this challenge... and I am looking forward to reaching my goals!
Sunday, September 02, 2012
I have had this pic up on my page on and off many times. It's really how I need to approach my life a lot of the times. There are things I can control and things I can't and some things I should have controlled, didn't, and now reaping the consequences. But instead of falling into a depression again, I'm going to ride those waves and do the best I can. I'm learning to surf the waves of life. :)
Yesterday I think I did pretty dang well with my eating. I stayed within ranges and I felt terrific about it. Today, not so great. I am over by quite a bit... but, I'm still ok with it. My plan is to even out the calories tomorrow... and then continue on, with even more determination to not give in to temptation. I also weighed this morning... back up again: 247. It's hard to believe how heavy I am. I often don't "feel" that heavy... but I sure do look that heavy... ugh.
But, today is the last day I'll ever weigh 247! YAY!
Saturday, September 01, 2012
And I want a moment to be real,
Wanna touch things I don't feel,
Wanna hold on and feel I belong.
And how can the world want me to change,
Theyre the ones that stay the same.
They cant see me,
But Im still here.
***I love this song, I'm Still Here, by Johnny Rzeznik*** It moves me... speaks to me, speaks for me in some ways***
Sometimes I feel so sorry for myself... I'm so fat, I can't control my eating, I hate to exercise, I need more money, my house is a mess, and real friendships are non-existent... and then I learn about someone who helps me put things into proper perspective...
Have you met Shiloh Pepin? An amazing little girl wise beyond her years, with a zest for life and a self-confidence like no other. Happy, accepting of who she is... with no desire for anyone to change her... "It's the way I was made when I was born." She told Oprah. And she remained true to her beautiful and precious little self until the day she died.
So... with this new outlook.. no more pity party. If there is something I want to change, then change it. If there's something I need to fix, then fix it... but above all, love life, live life, full of spirit!
Today's blog was going to be just that... a pity party. Day 1 of yet again another diet that I'm half-heartedly committing to... whining about lack of time and money to get things done... and varius ways I aim to change. I posted that before... Not this time, not now.
Well... I'm still here, I am a child of God, I am healthy, I am loved, I am in control of my own life and my own choices.. there is no place for personal pity... What right do I have to think things are so bad with me/for me? I do not like who I have become lately... full of excuses, lacking control, not caring most of the time, really, often feeling down and depressed...
Well, I don't want to be that way any more. And I won't.
"...who you are inside is what makes you a star." ~Shiloh
"You'll never know if you never try." ~Shiloh
"I believe she's here to just pay testimony that the human spirit is incredible and you can achieve your dreams as long as you have the will and the drive and the spirit," Elmer Pepin said of his daughter. "And she definitely has that, no doubt about it."
Shiloh Jade Pepin 1999-2009
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Saw this on another blog... thought it would be fun... I always like these "getting to know you" things.... so, here goes:
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? of course... there were many people named before me... I mean, just think about how long people have been on this earth... I'm sure they all had names of some sort...
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? the other day we moved my oldest daughter off to college... I didn't want to leave.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? sure, we get along pretty well, most of the time.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? fajitas. :D
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? human ones... yes... 4
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Well heck yeah! I'm awesome!
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? No, never.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? I do... and they are still a part of me, not in a jar. LOL!
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? I'd love to say absolutely YES! but I gotta get in shape first.... right now I'd probably throw up.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? not much of a cereal killer.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? - flip flops have ties?
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Only if I've not showered in a few days.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? YES.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? attitude, smile, polite-ness... attitude.
15. RED OR PINK? most of the time pink... ocassionally red. ... wait... to what are we referring here?
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? Arms and belly... I do not like them, no, I do not.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? Those that are too fast... they keep getting out of my target zone. um... we are referring to the zombies, right?
18. ANY TATTOOS? I've seen a few cools ones... but my favorite is that little guy from that tv show a long time ago.... he worked for that handsome spanish speaking dude.
19. WHAT COLOR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? ummm... flip flops! these are brown.
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? coffee. it is MORNING, duh.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? there is this humming... no buzzing... sh... it's quiet... in here. hehehe ....
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? - Let me just say I am so glad I'm not a crayon... but I do like them, ain't nothin' like a new box... and I like the turquoisey ones right now. :)
23. FAVORITE SMELLS? gosh... there are so many. Most of my faves include foods and spices ... and rain.
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? not a person, a machine... I hate those things... I talked to a stupid machine and I'm sure I sounded like a dork. Always do.
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE? BEACH HOUSE BEACH HOUSE BEACH HOUSE BEACH HOUSE BEACH HOUSE BEACH HOUSE!!!! :D
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Anything my kids are participating in, but not big on any sport, really. I have been to a few races...drag races, boats, cars, ... pretty cool.
27. HAIR COLOR? no, I do not color my hair
28. EYE COLOR? - nor my eyes... sheesh, isn't that dangerous?
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? - No, I keep them in my phone and email list. It would be pretty weird if I wore them.
30. FAVORITE FOOD? Spicy, Mexican, Asian, Guacamole, Fajitas... Mmmmm.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Bring on the HORROR!
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? The Hunger Games... with my little girl, twice. :)
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? - Orange with palm trees on the back... why, are you looking for me or something??? I'm weirded out a bit now.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER? I love all seasons.
35. HUGS OR KISSES? depends on who it is. :D
36. FAVORITE DESSERT? YES.
37. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO? - you assume I do either of these? You are so funny!
38. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION? Depends on what I'm wanting to do with them.
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? I'm not reading a book right now... I'm reading these questions!
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? My mouse... duh.
42. FAVORITE SOUND? I love the sound.... of silence (that's a song) hehehe.... along with silence, I love thunderstorms, rain, my kids getting along and having fun.
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Sometimes beatles are easier to catch... I caught a pretty iridescent one the other day! Rolling stones will stop on their own eventually. I pretty much enjoy both. :)
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? Physically or Mentally?
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? No.
no... all my talents are just regular, nothing special.
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? - in a hospital
47. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW? - in a house
48. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR HOUSE? - again with the stalking thing... are you doing a fly-over and looking for me? My house is cypress gray/brown if you must know.
49. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CAR? - Which one?
50. DO YOU LIKE ANSWERING 50 QUESTIONS? It's fun... altho some seem really strange. LOL! and I'm in a silly MOOD! :)
Thursday, July 05, 2012
To all those who looked at and commented on my Washington DC blog... Thank you so much for letting me share a tidbit of our little visit with you! We did have a wonderful, although much too short, time.
I hope you all had a happy 4th of July!
Get An Email Alert Each Time OHANAMAMA Posts