Saturday, February 15, 2014
Day 46-If Not Food, Then What
I found this exercise interesting. I drove myself "crazy" trying to figure out 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and so on down the line. Finally decided that it wasn't so much that I needed to put it all in order but what ever the order food was going to be last. In fact it was not even going to make the top 10 list.
I finally got the list as follows:
1. Spiritual Growth- DH had been first but I realized the most loving thing I could do was to be spiritually fit first. He has severe COPD and is now on oxygen with most every daily task from working a full time job to cleaning, shopping, cooking, etc. has to be my responsibility. It becomes overwhelming with my level of chronic pain but he depends on me so I need to depend on a power greater than myself. I have been leaving out church so I will leave time to attend from now on.
2. DH- He frets because he can no longer do what he used to but it is "In sickness and in Health." . Tonight I fixed him his favorite meal of pork chops and his favorite dessert of strawberry shortcake. I had steamed fish and just the plain strawberries.
3. Health- I guess for 64 I'm in very good health with the exception of being overweight and chronic pain issues. Today I ate within my calorie range and was even happy about that which is most unusual. I didn't even mind not having the strawberry shortcake. With a broken toe I haven't been able to walk for almost 2 weeks but hopefully this will end soon.
4. Friends-Barb, Maureen, and Dee- I called two of my friends today and it was so uplifting. I often talk to two of them on a regular basis but the other goes to bed so early it is often too late to call by the time I remember. Because of this topic I called early and we talked for an hour. What a blessing.
5. My Pet (My Kids)- Abby, Pup, Bandit, and KittyKay. All are rescue animals and all live inside, even our 60 lb. hound dog.
6. Job- LOL, I need my job but even as much as I love it there are so many other things that are more important. Because of the snow and Ice I have not worked since Monday. I am grateful for having special leave as well as vacation time so that I will still be paid. I think I will always work at least part time. I have always worked in a human services field (teacher, counselor, vocational rehab specialist) and I just don't think I am suppose to kick back and not contribute. But then again volunteering could become a job some day.
7. Financial Security- I wish this didn't make the list but in all honesty feeling and being safe is very important especially since I now feel responsible for taking care of everything.
8. Crocheting- I just finished crocheting a baby blanket for a new friends daughter. It helps me relax and keeps food out of my hands. LOL, I am not a very creative type of person but I am amazed at what I have been able to do with just a few simple stitches. I give them away as a tribute to my twin. While she was sick she learned to knit and I learned to crochet. I have a strong spiritual connection to her when I crochet sitting in the lift chair I sat in next to hers.
9. Reading- As a child I loved to read and then I read so much in college I got tired of reading. But after back surgery and not being able to be as active as I used to be reading has become important and helps me to forget some of the day to day stressors.
10. Netflix- I love all the old TV shows. Never thought I would ever be nostalgic but as time goes by I guess I am.
11. Food-It's important but it has lost it's spot higher up on my important list
When I started writing on this topic I had no idea that I would get so involved but what you write down you won't forget and I don't ever want to forget what the really important things are in my life.