Tuesday, April 08, 2014
***warning, this is not my typical, positive type of blog***
My dear husband had his appointment with the nuerosurgeon who did his brain surgery and installed the VP shunt in his brain in August 2012. To prepare for the visit, a CT scan of his head was performed on March 31st.
This CT scan was compared to the last one he had in October 2012, and he now has something called a Subdural Hygroma, an accumulation of Cerebral Spinal Fluid on the outside of his brain, under his skull.
The diagnosis and treatment plan at this point are to not adjust the shunt settings, wait a month and repeat the CT scan to see if there is any change. If the amount of fluid decreases, shunt adjustment may be made to assist him with balance and gait issues, if the amount of fluid increases, additional brain surgery and a second type of shunt placement may be indicated.
My husband has already recently refused cataract surgery and if brain surgery is needed, I am not sure the alternative if he refuses to have it. I have, of course, done all types of internet searches and can find very little about hygroma's.
All I can do at this point is give it to God and trust that whatever His will is, is what will happen.