Friday, May 18, 2012
Not such a good day today when it comes to eliminating sugar from my diet. I'm not making any excuses but I just want to explain what happened. My sister invited me over to an early birthday dinner (tomorrow is my b-day) and she had prepared a healthy vegetarian pasta dinner with ice cream sundaes as dessert (a few scoops of vanilla ice cream with strawberry jam, chocolate sprinkles and a cookie). Now, I could have said no, but honestly, I didn't really want to. Why not? Because first of all, I didn't want to be rude to my sister who had prepared all that for me. And secondly, I really don't want to become one of those people who become so obsessed with rules (like not eating sugar) that they forget to have a little fun from time to time. Now I know I said on my previous blog that I'm not going to eat ice cream for the next couple of week and I don't feel proud of myself for breaking my own rule especially so early on. But it was my choice and I own it, and I'm not making excuses for it. I chose to eat that ice cream sundae. Now I have to live with it.
I did stay within my calorie range today (1,300+ calories) but I wasn't supposed to eat any sugar so I'm not overly satisfied with how I did today. I'm also a little bit worried about tomorrow. I'm going to be celebrating my birthday with my family, and I know my mom has probably baked all kinds of sugary treats and there'll definitely be cake. What am I going to do? Should I just think of this as one of those special occasions when having a little something not-so-healthy is considered okay? I don't want to screw up this challenge but I don't want to ruin the day for anyone, not even for myself. I think maybe I should just think of this as a rare occasion and have a little something sweet - and make sure to track every bite.
What do you guys think?
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Week 1 of the Tame Your Sweet Tooth Challenge is done! This first week was all about identifying where hidden sugar is hiding in my diet and tracking my current sugar intake to get a clear picture of how much sugar I'm actually consuming.
During Week 1, I learned:
- The less sugar I eat, the less cravings I get.
- Biggest sources of hidden sugar in my diet are: yogurt, instant oatmeal and light mayonnaise.
- My biggest sugar downfalls are: ice cream, chocolate and other types of candy, cookies, pudding and cupcakes.
- It's hard to stop after a small portion of some sugary treat.
- Avoiding sugar in social situations and on special occasions are a challenge.
During Week 2, my goals are:
- To limit my sugar intake to a minimum.
- To replace ice cream, chocolate, candy, cookies, cupcakes etc. with healthier, natural alternatives such as fruit or berries.
- To eliminate hidden sugar from my diet by replacing flavored yogurt with Greek yogurt and by reading labels carefully to make sure there is no hidden sugar.
- To keep tracking my sugar intake and all my meals.
- To stay accountable and keep blogging daily.
Week 2 starts tomorrow!!! I'm excited! Now it's time to kiss sugar goodbye.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Today has been an okay day food-wise. I went over my calories again but my calorie differential was -320 calories, so it wasn't that bad. I'm trying really hard and tomorrow I'm determined to stay within my calorie limits. It's tough like I said on my last blog. It's tough to eat right when away from home! It's such a challenge for me, but I'm trying.
I'm really enjoying spending time at Tommi's family's summer house. It's such a beautiful place by the lake, so peaceful and beautiful. I'm just taking time to take care of myself and enjoy every moment. I'm writing again which is good. I feel really good and healthy over here :)
My goals for tomorrow:
- stay within my calorie range
- go for a walk
- get 5 servings of fruit and veggies
Monday, May 14, 2012
Today was such a fun day! I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but all my classes ended a couple of weeks ago and I have the entire month off before I start interning at a hotel in June. I'M LOVING IT!! But it can also be a challenge at times. Let me give you an example. On Sunday, I came to celebrate Mother's Day with my mom and the rest of my family, and decided to stay for a few days. While I'm loving the peace and quiet and the gorgeous Finnish countryside, I'm also having a hard time sticking to my usual routines. I mean I do get my walks in (and today I actually went for two walks) but it's harder to track everything and know exactly what I'm eating because I'm not cooking the food myself. I'm trying my best to keep my portions in check and track everything, but it's not as easy as it is when I'm at home. I'm the type of person who gets really into routines and doing things a certain way, and any changes to this rocks my balance big time.
Eating right while I'm away from home is one of the biggest challenges for me. There's something about being away that puts me in a weird mindset. I guess it's because I used to often end up overeating while on vacation, and being away from home feels like being on vacation even though I'm not really anywhere special. Does this make any sense?
I did do pretty well today despite the circumstances! I ended up going over my calories with about 100 calories which puts me around 1,600 calories for today. Not perfect, but not bad either. Tomorrow will be better! Tommi and I are going to his family's summer house by the lake for a few days. There's a lot of yard work waiting to get done and I'll also bring my workout gear and running shoes. I'm determined to do well even though I'm not at home!!
Sugary treats of the day:
- half a cupcake (sigh................)
- a small portion of low-fat vanilla ice cream
- yogurt for breakfast (it had some sugar in it because it wasn't plain)
- eating well away from home is a big challenge (especially with leftover cupcakes around every corner)
- there is no point in eating half a cupcake because I immediately feel like my brain and body is screaming for more (luckily I was able to ignore both!)
- the less sugar I eat, the less cravings I get
Get An Email Alert Each Time MYLOVELYCURVES Posts