Friday, May 18, 2012
Not such a good day today when it comes to eliminating sugar from my diet. I'm not making any excuses but I just want to explain what happened. My sister invited me over to an early birthday dinner (tomorrow is my b-day) and she had prepared a healthy vegetarian pasta dinner with ice cream sundaes as dessert (a few scoops of vanilla ice cream with strawberry jam, chocolate sprinkles and a cookie). Now, I could have said no, but honestly, I didn't really want to. Why not? Because first of all, I didn't want to be rude to my sister who had prepared all that for me. And secondly, I really don't want to become one of those people who become so obsessed with rules (like not eating sugar) that they forget to have a little fun from time to time. Now I know I said on my previous blog that I'm not going to eat ice cream for the next couple of week and I don't feel proud of myself for breaking my own rule especially so early on. But it was my choice and I own it, and I'm not making excuses for it. I chose to eat that ice cream sundae. Now I have to live with it.
I did stay within my calorie range today (1,300+ calories) but I wasn't supposed to eat any sugar so I'm not overly satisfied with how I did today. I'm also a little bit worried about tomorrow. I'm going to be celebrating my birthday with my family, and I know my mom has probably baked all kinds of sugary treats and there'll definitely be cake. What am I going to do? Should I just think of this as one of those special occasions when having a little something not-so-healthy is considered okay? I don't want to screw up this challenge but I don't want to ruin the day for anyone, not even for myself. I think maybe I should just think of this as a rare occasion and have a little something sweet - and make sure to track every bite.
What do you guys think?
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Week 1 of the Tame Your Sweet Tooth Challenge is done! This first week was all about identifying where hidden sugar is hiding in my diet and tracking my current sugar intake to get a clear picture of how much sugar I'm actually consuming.
During Week 1, I learned:
- The less sugar I eat, the less cravings I get.
- Biggest sources of hidden sugar in my diet are: yogurt, instant oatmeal and light mayonnaise.
- My biggest sugar downfalls are: ice cream, chocolate and other types of candy, cookies, pudding and cupcakes.
- It's hard to stop after a small portion of some sugary treat.
- Avoiding sugar in social situations and on special occasions are a challenge.
During Week 2, my goals are:
- To limit my sugar intake to a minimum.
- To replace ice cream, chocolate, candy, cookies, cupcakes etc. with healthier, natural alternatives such as fruit or berries.
- To eliminate hidden sugar from my diet by replacing flavored yogurt with Greek yogurt and by reading labels carefully to make sure there is no hidden sugar.
- To keep tracking my sugar intake and all my meals.
- To stay accountable and keep blogging daily.
Week 2 starts tomorrow!!! I'm excited! Now it's time to kiss sugar goodbye.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Today has been an okay day food-wise. I went over my calories again but my calorie differential was -320 calories, so it wasn't that bad. I'm trying really hard and tomorrow I'm determined to stay within my calorie limits. It's tough like I said on my last blog. It's tough to eat right when away from home! It's such a challenge for me, but I'm trying.
I'm really enjoying spending time at Tommi's family's summer house. It's such a beautiful place by the lake, so peaceful and beautiful. I'm just taking time to take care of myself and enjoy every moment. I'm writing again which is good. I feel really good and healthy over here :)
My goals for tomorrow:
- stay within my calorie range
- go for a walk
- get 5 servings of fruit and veggies
Get An Email Alert Each Time MYLOVELYCURVES Posts