Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Week 1 of the Tame Your Sweet Tooth Challenge is done! This first week was all about identifying where hidden sugar is hiding in my diet and tracking my current sugar intake to get a clear picture of how much sugar I'm actually consuming.
During Week 1, I learned:
- The less sugar I eat, the less cravings I get.
- Biggest sources of hidden sugar in my diet are: yogurt, instant oatmeal and light mayonnaise.
- My biggest sugar downfalls are: ice cream, chocolate and other types of candy, cookies, pudding and cupcakes.
- It's hard to stop after a small portion of some sugary treat.
- Avoiding sugar in social situations and on special occasions are a challenge.
During Week 2, my goals are:
- To limit my sugar intake to a minimum.
- To replace ice cream, chocolate, candy, cookies, cupcakes etc. with healthier, natural alternatives such as fruit or berries.
- To eliminate hidden sugar from my diet by replacing flavored yogurt with Greek yogurt and by reading labels carefully to make sure there is no hidden sugar.
- To keep tracking my sugar intake and all my meals.
- To stay accountable and keep blogging daily.
Week 2 starts tomorrow!!! I'm excited! Now it's time to kiss sugar goodbye.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Today has been an okay day food-wise. I went over my calories again but my calorie differential was -320 calories, so it wasn't that bad. I'm trying really hard and tomorrow I'm determined to stay within my calorie limits. It's tough like I said on my last blog. It's tough to eat right when away from home! It's such a challenge for me, but I'm trying.
I'm really enjoying spending time at Tommi's family's summer house. It's such a beautiful place by the lake, so peaceful and beautiful. I'm just taking time to take care of myself and enjoy every moment. I'm writing again which is good. I feel really good and healthy over here :)
My goals for tomorrow:
- stay within my calorie range
- go for a walk
- get 5 servings of fruit and veggies
Monday, May 14, 2012
Today was such a fun day! I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but all my classes ended a couple of weeks ago and I have the entire month off before I start interning at a hotel in June. I'M LOVING IT!! But it can also be a challenge at times. Let me give you an example. On Sunday, I came to celebrate Mother's Day with my mom and the rest of my family, and decided to stay for a few days. While I'm loving the peace and quiet and the gorgeous Finnish countryside, I'm also having a hard time sticking to my usual routines. I mean I do get my walks in (and today I actually went for two walks) but it's harder to track everything and know exactly what I'm eating because I'm not cooking the food myself. I'm trying my best to keep my portions in check and track everything, but it's not as easy as it is when I'm at home. I'm the type of person who gets really into routines and doing things a certain way, and any changes to this rocks my balance big time.
Eating right while I'm away from home is one of the biggest challenges for me. There's something about being away that puts me in a weird mindset. I guess it's because I used to often end up overeating while on vacation, and being away from home feels like being on vacation even though I'm not really anywhere special. Does this make any sense?
I did do pretty well today despite the circumstances! I ended up going over my calories with about 100 calories which puts me around 1,600 calories for today. Not perfect, but not bad either. Tomorrow will be better! Tommi and I are going to his family's summer house by the lake for a few days. There's a lot of yard work waiting to get done and I'll also bring my workout gear and running shoes. I'm determined to do well even though I'm not at home!!
Sugary treats of the day:
- half a cupcake (sigh................)
- a small portion of low-fat vanilla ice cream
- yogurt for breakfast (it had some sugar in it because it wasn't plain)
- eating well away from home is a big challenge (especially with leftover cupcakes around every corner)
- there is no point in eating half a cupcake because I immediately feel like my brain and body is screaming for more (luckily I was able to ignore both!)
- the less sugar I eat, the less cravings I get
Monday, May 14, 2012
This is a bit late because it's actually Monday morning here in Finland already but I was too tired to blog last night so I just went straight to bed instead. So yesterday was Mother's Day and I had such wonderful time with my family! I'm so grateful to have such amazing mom :) I love her so much!
But how was my sweet tooth yesterday? It was pretty bad once I got started. I had one cupcake and one cookie (as promised, haha) and a tiny little slice of strawberry cake. It was all VERY sweet and I actually thought it was a little too sweet to be honest. BUT once I got started with it, it was really difficult to stop!! So later, in the evening, there were still some leftovers, and we all sat down to enjoy them. I was craving sugar like crazy at this point and though I easily COULD HAVE said no, thank you, I really didn't want to. Or so I thought. So I had half a cupcake and a small cookie AND a tiny slice of cake. Sigh. I felt so sick afterwards. Sugar really is so addictive!!! Once you have some, it gets a lot easier to stop once you've had enough. I'm thinking it would be a lot better to stay away from sugary treats most of the time and save it for special occasions only. And yesterday definitely was just that: a special occasion.
Today I'm determined to do a lot better! I find it's always so much more difficult to get things going like normal after a day like that. Why is it though?? It's just one day. No harm done and I learned my lesson. It's time to move on!
I'll be back with Day 5 later today. I just want to update daily at least for the first week of the challenge to stay accountable.
I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time MYLOVELYCURVES Posts