Tuesday, February 28, 2012
I've been having a tough time staying on the right track on weekends for as long as I can remember. Lately, I've been doing a lot better than I used to, but I still end up consuming way too many calories on Fridays and Saturdays. I know it's mostly because I associate food with so many positive things and emotions. It's been a form of relaxation, celebration, comfort and love for so very long that it's very difficult to find new ways to feel those things without it. I know it might sound like I'm overreacting but I'm not, trust me. I'm a food lover. Or actually, that's an understatement. I'm a food adorer. Always have been. Most of my childhood memories have something to do with eating or cooking or food in general. The problem is, of course, that my eating habits have been very unhealthy for a long, long time and I've been choosing all the wrong foods! So now it's time to find healthier alternatives and choose smaller portions to stay on track on the weekends as well as during the weekdays.
As I wrote here on my blog before, my perfect Saturday night has for years now included a great movie, my boyfriend, a bowl of ice cream or lots and lots of chocolate and - almost always - some greasy pizza. Now, for the past few weekends I've been working really hard on cutting back and making sure I choose smaller portions and pick healthier alternatives, and it's been working quite well for me. I haven't been feeling deprived but that's probably just because I'm still eating too much, haha! I'm taking small steps to make my weekends healthier, and I wanted to make a short list of things I'm going to do from now on to avoid overeating on Fridays and Saturdays.
- I'll weigh in on Monday morning instead of on Friday. This will definitely help me stay focused on eating healthy and working out as planned!!
- I'll track everything I eat (as I've been doing so far and it's really helping me eat less). Every bite of chocolate and every scoop of ice cream (if I choose to have some).
- I'll work out first thing on Saturday morning. This will give my day a great, healthy start and encourage me to stay on track all day!
- I'll plan ahead. I'm going to write down all my weekend meals beforehand and make sure I have room for a small 'guilty' treat (uhh I hate saying that some foods are guilty foods and some foods are not, it's just stupid. But for lack of a better word, I'll just stick with guilty).
- I'll try and come up with some smart and healthy substitutions for my favorite treats (such as frozen yogurt instead of ice cream) and make sure I keep my portions in check.
Those are just a few ideas, I'm sure I'll come up with more as time goes by. The main thing is to keep things under my control and stay accountable. I've been tracking all my meals diligently for the past two weeks and it has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE. I know that as long as I stick to tracking, I'll be fine :)
Any suggestions? What's working for you? I'd like to know how you guys stay on track on the weekends!