Thursday, July 28, 2011
Today is a new day, today is all that matters.
I need to repeat this to myself over and over. I have been doing a really good job of catching myself when I get in to the negative loop of stressing about a mistake I made yesterday or last week. I weighed in this morning and was up about 6 lbs from a couple weeks ago. My first thought was "Wow, I really screwed up", but then I realized that it doesn't matter if I'm up or down because I am making positive changes that will eventually lead to a healthy body weight. This morning I was running a little late and my first thought was to stop at Starbucks for a mocha and breakfast sandwich instead of making my own at home. Not only wold the calories have been higher but I would've been spending money that I can't afford to spend. I told myself instead that I wasn't going to do that. I made a choice to do what I know was right. That might not seem like a big deal, but in the past making that decision to listen to my inner voice and go to Starbucks usually led to binging later because of guilt. Even if I bought the healthy options, I felt guilty for spending money I shouldn't. I'm really proud of myself for doing the right thing.
I wasn't feeling so great last night, really bad headache and really tired. I didn't eat dinner - not the best choice. What I learned from last night is that I need to find ways to get more things done earlier in the evening. I could've made myself something quick and simple to eat while the kids were eating, but instead I put it off for later. My goal was to make myself I nice big salad, but by the time they were in bed I just didn't feel up to cleaning the kitchen so I could wash the veggies so I could make my salad. I multi task at work, so I know I can do it. Tonight I will do things differently no matter how I feel.
My goal the last couple weeks hasn't been weight loss. Partially because I know I need to focus on changing my mindset and partly because I am scared to put that goal down on (virtual) paper and then to fail. I feel like if I set the goal then it's almost a sure thing that I won't meet it. I'm not sure why though since I successfully lost 50 lbs already. I know I can do it. I know I can choose healthy foods. I know I can exercise. I know I can trust myself to make good choices.
I do have a habit of aiming really high, and I don't want to do that this time. I want to set a conservative goal that I feel is easily attainable for the first couple weeks since I don't want to make any drastic changes that won't be easy to keep up. I want to continue working on my way of thinking and make small changes that I can easily continue when life gets in the way.
So my short term goal is to lose 3 lbs in the next 3 weeks (by 8/20).
The way I will get there is by:
1. Eating at least 3 fruit/vegetable servings a day. A bonus day (exceedingly great) day would be to get in 4 veggie servings plus at least 1 fruit serving. I feel so much better and more satisfied with my lower calories when I get in more vegetables.
2. Get in at least 10 minutes of exercise everyday with 3 or more days at 30 minutes or more. At least 130 total minutes of exercise per week.
3. Think positive thoughts about myself. Appreciate the good things I do every day.
4. Meet my work and family committments. I feel better about myself when I'm doing what I know I'm supposed to be doing anyway. I read a blog by a guy who was on the Extreme Makeover show about integrity. alexrespess.wordpress.com/2011/07/18
/integrity/ It really hit home for me.
My goals today are:
1. Get in at least 10 minutes of exercise. Likely will be at least 30 minutes because I have a few errands to run at lunch and since I'm carpooling now I don't have a car. I should be able to get in around an hour of walking.
2. Don't let myself get too hungry. Eat some fruit or LF yogurt instead of candy and junk.
3. Tonight when I get home, clean kitchen, do dishes while cooking and while kids are eating. Make sure my dinner is ready before sitting on couch. Prep my breakfast for Friday and coffee before going to bed.
4. (technically a goal for tomorrow) I want to wake 15 minutes earlier than today so that I can do my Pilates DVD when I wake up. I have had a lot of muscle pain and tension lately. My Pilates DVD stretches me out really good and I feel more relaxed on days I do it early.
5. Read these goals 2 or more times today to stay focused on them, and so I don't forget them. :)