Thursday, July 21, 2011
Ugh!!! Two and a half days of orientation and computer based training have kind of drained my enthusiasm for my new job. I realize this is more the federal government's fault than anything else, but really, two and a half days!!! I learned and relearned about HIPAA, corporate compliance, incident command system, child/dependent adult abuse, diversity, organ donation, and everything specific to the company I work for such as benefits (which I don't have at this point, I'm "on-call"), dress-code, company history, history of the various campuses associated with the main company, etc... I'm overloaded with new information. The good news is I got paid for all this suffering, and really, the suffering wasn't that bad. Everyone involved with welcoming me has been very enthusiastic.
So that's done. I start on Wednesday in the pharmacy department, and I bet my boss there will have to go over some mandatory stuff too. At least I'll be in the pharmacy then and can start feeling like a pharmacist. I have to thank Spark People for encouraging us to set goals for ourselves. That got me to set the goal of transferring my license, keeping track of the steps to do that, and now getting a job close to my house.
1. Nutrition: I've been doing great on low carb with the exception of a couple days over the weekend. I am back on track, even through the orientation days at work.
2. Fitness: Last week I did five workouts (goal-5/week). This week I've gotten two in, and I'm counting yesterday walking to and from work as a small one since I have to work so much this week. I'll try to get two more smaller workouts (my full one takes 90 minutes cardio/weights/crunches/stretching) done tomorrow and Saturday morning.
3. Personal: I've been doing great at getting to bed earlier, even if my body doesn't cooperate and fall asleep right away. Good days with sleep and bad days.
So that's a quick update on my job. I really enjoy the people and the fact that I can walk to work. That was one of my selling points, I can be there in a blizzard.
Have a great week everyone!!
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
1. Nutrition: Low-Carb- I did great last week at low carb eating. Now that I'm through the first week, I don't crave the sweets anymore.
2. Fitness: 5 workouts/week- I got four actual workouts in of varying lengths. I'm going to say I got five in because my work weekend was awful, yet I did manage a five minute walk on Saturday at work. I just had to escape the pharmacy for five minutes. So we will count that as a very short workout and I met my goal. I started again on Tuesday, so I'm going easy on myself.
3. Personal: Get to bed earlier- On my work nights, I got to bed as early as feasible. With the commute and winding down time, it still was quite late. My drive at night is 65 minutes due to flooded out roads. On other nights, some nights I did well, others I stayed up too late. Still room for improvement there.
The kids have been doing great in swim team this year. The season is almost done. All three boys have gotten the flip turn down. Mary(11) has adapted to swimming the longer distance of an older age group. Stevie (9) swam IM in the conference meet. This was only his second IM in competition. He took third!!! He also got fifth in backstroke. All four kids got to compete in conference. This is the first year they all made it! The twins are still learning how to swim. Bridget can do a freestyle with her face out of the water, and both are starting to blow bubbles in the water. We should have them ready by next May to join the team. Teaching them has gotten Hubby out in the pool more, so he is even starting to get more active.
Thanks everyone for all your encouragement! It's really helping me to get back at this again!
Wednesday, July 06, 2011
I had my pre-employment physical today, and my weight is up, but I expected that. I'm at 171.4 now, up five pounds from my lowest point of 166. May was very busy with the kids. June got crazy with studying for my exam and interviewing for the new job. We also fit in a vacation there too. Swim team is still going on. Four of my kids are in that. Add the floods and the crazy commutes now and I think I've got my explanation for the gain.
Good news: 1. I'm still below 175. I thought I might have gone up that much.
2. I feel motivated again. I tracked everything yesterday and am about to
work out today.
3. I feel like I can get back into some kind of routine again.
1. Nutrition: Get back to the low carb eating. My body can't handle the carbs, they give me migraines.
2. Fitness: Workout five days a week. I'm not going to put any qualifiers on that. I need to get it in my head that a short workout is better than no workout. Do something, anything, five days a week.
3. Personal: Get to bed earlier. On work nights, that may still be 1 am due to the commute, but get in bed as soon as I can on those nights. I have to stop wasting time and try to improve my sleep.
Glad to be back here again and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Get An Email Alert Each Time MOM-OF-SIX Posts