Wednesday, July 06, 2011
I had my pre-employment physical today, and my weight is up, but I expected that. I'm at 171.4 now, up five pounds from my lowest point of 166. May was very busy with the kids. June got crazy with studying for my exam and interviewing for the new job. We also fit in a vacation there too. Swim team is still going on. Four of my kids are in that. Add the floods and the crazy commutes now and I think I've got my explanation for the gain.
Good news: 1. I'm still below 175. I thought I might have gone up that much.
2. I feel motivated again. I tracked everything yesterday and am about to
work out today.
3. I feel like I can get back into some kind of routine again.
1. Nutrition: Get back to the low carb eating. My body can't handle the carbs, they give me migraines.
2. Fitness: Workout five days a week. I'm not going to put any qualifiers on that. I need to get it in my head that a short workout is better than no workout. Do something, anything, five days a week.
3. Personal: Get to bed earlier. On work nights, that may still be 1 am due to the commute, but get in bed as soon as I can on those nights. I have to stop wasting time and try to improve my sleep.
Glad to be back here again and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Tuesday, July 05, 2011
I feel like I'm on day 1 again for SparkPeople. The last few months have been crazy with trying to get a new job, studying for my Iowa pharmacy law exam, vacation, floods, and as always, kids' activities. Well, I'm back, and I'm glad to be back here again.
1. Pharmacy: I passed my test!!!! I am now licensed in Iowa!!! Unfortunately, I still have to commute to Omaha for my job. I didn't get the part time job out here, but I did get an "on-call" position. I don't know if I'll have regular hours, so I still have to keep my job in Omaha. This will get my foot in the door, however, and eventually, I will have regular hours out here. I look forward to the time I can walk two blocks to work instead of driving an hour to work.
2. Floods: Missouri Valley is still dry. We have some local heroes building levees and even blowing some up (to let flood waters back into the river) to help keep our town dry. Highway 30 to Blair, Nebraska is still open, for now. I don't think they will be able to keep it open for too much longer, maybe a week or two more. At night, I drive out to Neola to get to and from Omaha or Council Bluffs. Many times, I'll take that way during the day too. Most of the businesses have stayed open, so for now, the only inconvenience has been the longer commute. Our house is high up on the hill, so we won't ever flood.
3. Weight loss: I'm pretty sure I'm gaining right now, but have refused to get on a scale. I'm getting back at it now, so hopefully I can shed a few before my work physical for my new job. Clothes are getting snug, so I really need to focus on this again. I just have to get back into the routine.
Well, I guess that's enough update for now. Please keep in touch and help me to get motivated again.
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Vacation in Colorado Springs was wonderful!! We saw: Garden of the gods, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Cave of the Winds, Seven Falls, Air Force Academy, and rode the Royal Gorge Route Railroad (at the bottom of Royal Gorge). Our room was huge!! Shopping in Manitou Springs was fun too. Lots of walking, especially uphill. The kids loved it!!
Came home two days early for two reasons. Patrick's asthma and Colorado did not agree. Also got the phone call from a friend about the impending flood in Missouri Valley, Iowa, our home town.
That first weekend back was eerie. Everyone in the bottoms moving out. Brian was able to use our trailer to help a family move out of town. The week following, the sand bagging began. I went down to help fill sand bags on Tuesday and Wednesday. Brian helped on the weekend. Berms are going up and everywhere is sand bagged. We live up on the hill, so our home will not be affected. Flooding has closed the main highways to Omaha and Council Bluffs, where most of us work. My commute now takes over an hour. More roads are expected to close, mainly Hwy 30 over to Blair, Nebraska. Highway 183 to Council Bluffs is still open. Fortunately the rail line that runs parallel is keeping the water out. Honey Creek is flooded. It looks like a huge lake right by 183 to the west.
So far, Missouri Valley is dry. We are all still praying that it stays that way. Union Pacific has been working feverishly raising the rail lines through town. They've closed roads we need and their dump trucks are all over the place. They even run red lights like they're the fire dept. I guess when you have a lot of money, you can do whatever you want.
On an up note, I've interviewed for a job here in town. I'm studying to take my Iowa pharmacy law exam and am scheduled to take the test next week. I'll keep you updated. I can't tell how the interview went. They always ask such stupid questions on these interviews. It would be quite a change to go from a big city, completely automated hospital to a small town one. I'm a little afraid, but it would be good for me not to commute any more. The smaller atmosphere would be a nice change too.
I managed to get out for a walk today. Not logging much since I'm so busy with pharmacy, swim team, and planning for flood problems. I'll try to get on now and then to give updates on Missouri Valley, Iowa. Keep safe everyone.
Monday, May 23, 2011
It's been a while since I was able to Spark, so I thought I'd give a short update. The kids' activities are just about wrapped up. Soccer, track, the play, and the music concerts are done. School wraps up this week. I honestly wish it were over already. I'm ready to be done with school this year.
I've kept up my workouts, although I haven't kept up with the weights as much as I should. I usually do a jogging, walking routine. I walk 1/4 mile, jog 1 mile, walk 1/2 mile, jog another mile, walk 1/4 mile. I like this routine. It's easier than jogging 3 miles, but I'm still going 3 miles. When I have time, I'll add weights and crunches. I sometimes do the elliptical for 30 or 50 minutes. I've also been able to add swimming to the routine occasionally. Yay!!! Our swimming pool is fixed!!!
I have to admit, I've lacked motivation lately and have found it hard to get going in the morning. I think a lot of it has to do with the insomnia I've had the last week. I'll have to review my bedtime routine, watch my caffeine, etc... to help it get better.
We're planning a vacation in an actual hotel!! We're going to Colorado Springs, so any suggestions on family friendly places to visit out there would be great!!
Oh, I forgot to mention, Hubby got me an ipod touch! He felt bad about getting me a jogging belt (holds everything, even water), but that gift has come in handy too. I'm still learning how to use the ipod, but I welcome any suggestions for useful apps.
Well, maybe that update wasn't as short as I had hoped, but that's everything I can think of right now. Hope everyone is doing well!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time MOM-OF-SIX Posts