Thursday, December 08, 2011
There are, of course, many things that motivate me to care for my body and pursue health, but this morning I spent a little time thinking about my top 5 motivators. I find this helpful because clarifying the deeper things that drive me on helps me to keep my eyes on the right prize, and not to be so obsessed with superficial things like the number on the scale or the size of my pants. So here we go:
1. To demonstrate my love for Jesus Christ, my God and Savior, by caring for the body He so graciously granted me. The pursuit of health is essentially about worship. This is true for everyone so the question is NOT "are you worshiping?" but "what are you worshiping?"
2. To heighten my joy in this life. The Lord has created us to have eternal joy in Him and the things He's created and I find that when I eat well and exercise regularly, my capacity for joy increases.
3. To be a better husband and father. I want to set the right example at home, and I want to be around for as long as I can for the sake of others. I lost my father when I was 11. He was 51 and died of his second heart attack. By the grace of God in Jesus Christ, I'm ready to die and meet my Maker, but for the sake of my wife and daughter I'd like to be around for a while. I really hated growing up without my daddy.
4. To be a better Pastor. I have the joy and privilege of leading a small church in Elk River, Minnesota called Glory of Christ Fellowship and I want to be a good example to the people. I want to teach them by my way of life that the way we treat our bodies matters, that it's part of a life of worship and service to the Lord. And one of the things that's surprised me most over the last several years is that as I've pursued a healthy lifestyle, many people at church have begun to do the same even though I haven't said much about it.
5. To meet new people, be a blessing to them, and be enriched by them. One of the most enjoyable things about this lifestyle is all of the awesome people I've met through SP, cycling and running events, and just out on the roads.
So what are your "Top 5"? I'd love to hear them.