Tuesday, November 16, 2010
I did SP trivia today and they asked if depression can be life threatening. I said true, but was thinking more about it leading to suicide; so found the info in the explanation (below) interesting because I never thought about how it could impact your immune system and increase fatigue.
Left untreated, depression can last for weeks, months or even years and increase the risk of other health problems and even death. Untreated depression can lead to the following:
- A weakened immune system, resulting in more and longer-lasting illnesses
- Insomnia, which leads to fatigue, reduced mental clarity, and trouble concentrating
- A higher risk of death in the event of a heart attack or stroke
- Alcohol and drug use, abuse, and dependence
- Suicidal thoughts and/or attempts