Tuesday, January 04, 2011
My daughter and I passed our belt ranking test last evening. She is now a 6th grade green belt and I am now a 4th grade green belt with two stripes. When I pass my next ranking test, I'll be a 3rd grade brown belt.
I say "when" but I am content for that to be some time in the future. I really feel the need to work on what I know and get it polished and increase my general level of fitness, strength and endurance before I am ready to progress. When I went to the seminar in November, I met alot of excellent martial artists who set the bar for me VERY high. Not that they personally came to me and said "this is how good you have to be", but rather I looked at where they are and decided that is how high the bar is set. I don't expect to be as good as, say, Mike Sullinger, within a year or two - good heavens, he's been practicing the Martial Arts for over 30 years. But I want a certain level of performance and competence before I take the step to brown, so that during my brown rankings (we have 3 in the AKS), I can continue to polish so that when I do test for black, I know I am the most competent and able I can possibly be. I don't want a "gimme" rank. I want to know that I am good enough to have earned it.
So, this morning, I am sitting here and thinking what my goals are for this year. Where do I want to be NEXT January 4th? NOT where I am at right now, that's for sure. I want to progress, improve, excel.
My Goals for 2012
1. Lose 1 to 1.5 pounds per month toward the goal of reaching 125 pounds.
2. Increase my stamina to where I can do a full hour of kata and technique and not be winded.
3. Increase my strength to where I can hold a back stance or a horse stance for at least 30 minutes.
4. Increase my strength to where I can pump out 100 military issue push ups in 2 minutes.
5. Improve my diet strategy so that I am eating healthfully and consciously at every meal.
6. Improve my flexibility to where I can do a full split.
7. Improve my flexibility to where I can reach half way down my back with either hand and reach up with the opposite hand behind me and clasp hands.
8. Increase my cardio endurance to where I can go for a full hour doing any exercise or activity without feeling like I am going to die.
9. Improve all kata till I can perform them with great excellence and my Senseis don't see any major thing they can correct in my form, that all corrections are polishing tweaks.
10. Improve all techniques till my execution of them is polished and of the highest excellence, with power and precision.
All martial arts related, I know - but I don't want to be this weak willed, undisciplined woman any more.
So what will I do today to reach these goals? Remember it's always today. Practice karate for 1 hour every day at a minimum. Start cleaning the basement again so I have a room to work out in. Do 10 reps of 10 exercises on my suspension trainer. Do Praise Moves. Do Tae Bo.
That is what I will do today to reach my goals.