Did I hit the top 100 for weight loss this round? NO
Did I lose any weight? A tiny bit
Did I hit my goal weight? NO
Was this round a Success? ABSOLUTELY YES
The scale is not always the best measure of success.
Here is why this round turned out a huge SUCCESS for me:
1) I had many FIRSTs
I ran my first 5K (Time 29:27)
I ran my first 10K (Time 59:28)
I ran my first Half Marathon (Time 2:44:20)
I went from running 1.5 miles nonstop to 6 miles
I’m following my first Half Marathon training program for my next Half
I became the TNT leader for the awesome SPIES
2) I shaved off 2:79 minutes from my 1.5 run fitness test.
3) Summer time has always been the most challenging time for me to lose weight. I would normally gain weight during the summer….darn Dairy Queen. I am thrilled that I maintained my weight. I got a dose of what maintaining feels like and it’s tough.
4) I had a couple of major stressful events that did not derail me that much. I was able to get back in control.
5) I inspired others to step out of their comfort zone and try new things.
Now....for all you BLC newbies, come join the Silver Spies for Round 23. I promise you a challenge and many SUCCESSES!
During my Spark journey to a healthy and fit me I would always find myself smiling around mile 2 on my walks. Now my smile is coming out much sooner since I’m RUNNING to mile 2.
I was never a runner and the thought of running would made me chuckle. I had every excuse in the book for avoiding running. Here are my top 10 reasons for not running:
1) Only skinny people can run
2) I’m not built for running
3) I have muscle issues
4) I have bad knees
5) I have a bad back
6) I don’t have the stamina
7) I will injure myself
8) I don’t know how to run
9) Running is for the young
10) People will laugh at me
Well with hard work, education, support and great deal of patience I am officially a runner. Should I mention that I started running when I turned 50 and I’m training for my 2nd Half Marathon in October.
For every one of my excuses, I now have a reason why I love running. Here are my top 10 reasons for why I LOVE to RUN:
1) Running is cheaper than therapy
2) Running makes me feel alive
3) Running keeps me happy
4) Running helps me find my inner strength
5) Running keeps me young
6) Running clears my mind
7) Running has shaped my legs
8) The SWAG! Ok this is superficial but I love running apparel
9) Because I can
10) Medals.....Nough said.
My only goal was to run the entire race non-stop. Okay…I’ll be honest, my other goal was to beat my daughter. Marilyn was 10 feet ahead of me around mile 2 ˝. I kept thinking at that point it’s “mind over body” so I kept pushing it. It was an incredible feeling to cross the finish line and a wonderful memorable moment when she ran into my arms and hugged me. The poor girl, if she only knew how sweaty I was.
I don’t have the official time yet but I ran a little under 29 minutes and finished 45 seconds after Marilyn.
After the race we had a free pass to go into the Zoo. It was a wonderful morning at the Zoo. Here are some fun pics: