Friday, May 11, 2012
So it is now a little more than 5 months into 2012. It started out pretty well. After we got back from California, my motivation resurfaced and I lost 5 pounds. Then, in February I found out that my colleague was retiring, which SHOULD have meant that I was going to get back to teaching full-time in the fall. 3 months went by with very mixed signals about whether that was really going to happen. In addition, my daughter is getting ready to graduate from high school and the stress of planning the celebration AND the reality of her college choice ($$$$) made it even harder to stay motivated.
I happened across a post on Facebook about a new pedometer called Striiv, which has the added advantage of having some Walk It Out gaming components as well as a charitable contribution element. I took some Christmas money I had been saving and treated myself to a new fitness toy!
Yesterday I stepped on the scale and had gained back all I had lost earlier this year (which was not much). Fortunately, I had not gained MORE. My new toy not only tracks steps and calories, but periodically gives me challenges (walk 5 more minutes; walk 250 more steps, etc). I'm finding myself competing to do more!
It's not much yet, but it's a fresh start! Oh, and I DID get my full-time job back! 2012 is turning out to be better than I thought!
Wednesday, June 01, 2011
OK, it's June 1 and I've been unemployed for 1 year (as of June 4). I've done nothing but gain since I was told I'd be laid off and I'm now back to the weight when I started with Spark in December, 2005. My daughter will be a senior this year, which means LOTS of family pictures. I don't like the way I look.
So, today I am recommitting myself to get this weight off!
My challenges are mostly when I'm home during the day. I need to refocus on my walking and water consumption. Then, as I get those habits in line, I will find other small habits I can incorporate. Hopefully, by the time I go back to work (I was asked to return in a part-time capacity), I can be 15-20 pounds lighter : )
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Two weeks ago, I had a meeting with my district's superintendent to discuss how I might make myself more marketable, particularly for a couple of positions opening up in this district. She was very open and encouraging and I came away feeling like I had a shot at one of them. In the course of the conversation, she told me that it was almost certain that they would be offering me my old job back in a part-time capacity. I left smiling.
As these two weeks have gone by, as I wait for the letter recalling me for this job, I have learned that it was presented to the School Board as a half-time position (more than I was expecting). Because of how our contract is worded, they have to offer it to me, but if I turn it down, I would have to go through the entire application process for any future positions. I would keep my current years of experience and education credits, as well as accumulated sick leave, etc. as long as I stay.
To complicate matters, I have a job interview in a near-by district for a full-time position. While I won't know for certain until we meet, it is unlikely that they will credit me for more than 10 years of experience (I have 22), which would likely mean a cut in pay compared to last year. With gas prices, It honestly may be a wash financially. Obviously, we'll just have to see how everything shakes out, but I am optimistic that i will be back in the classrom in the fall.
That makes me VERY HAPPY!!!!!
Sunday, February 13, 2011
So, 1 year ago this week I was informed that I would likely be losing my job. I've been searching for something new as well as doing some subbing, but having too much free time has resulted in a very lazy me. I've easily gained 15 pounds since January 2010 (most of it in my belly). I can't remember the last time I exercised (even though I got several new walks for Christmas). I hide junk and eat it when no one else is home. I rarely log onto Spark these days, but spend HOURS on Facebook playing games. My pity party has not ended.
I KNOW what I should be doing. I KNOW what I want to look and feel like. Why can't I just do it?
Friday, October 22, 2010
1. What time did you get up this morning? 6:30 AM
2. How do you like your steak? Medium
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? I can't remember, I don't go very often.
4. What is your favorite TV show? Grey's Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Madrid, Spain
6. What did you have for breakfast? Special K Cinnamon Pecan
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Mexican
8. What foods do you dislike? Spinach and Lima Beans
9. Favorite Place to Eat? Carlos O'Kelly's
10. Favorite dressing? Thousand Island
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? 2009 Ford Edge
12. What are your favorite clothes? A nice pair of dress pants with a faux suede jacket
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? 1/2 Empty
15. Where would you want to retire? A house in the country with a little bit of land
16. Favorite time of day? Late afternoon
17. Where were you born? Portsmouth, VA
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? Anything my kids are playing, but volleyball right now
19. How many siblings? 2 Sisters
20. Favorite pastime/hobby? Collecting thimbles
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? I have no idea!
22. Bird watcher? No
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Neither, really but definitely more morning than night.
24. Do you have any pets? No
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? No
26. What did you want to be when you were little? Teacher
27. What is your best childhood memory? Reading Twas the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve
28. Are you a cat or dog person? Dog
29. Are you married? Yes, almost 21 years
30. Always wear your seat belt? YES!
31. Been in a car accident? A minor one
32. Any pet peeves? Slurping your soup or cereal milk
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Meat (pepperoni, sausage, canadian bacon, ground beef)
34. Favorite Flower? Rose
35. Favorite ice cream? Mint Chocolate Chip
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Burger King
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? Zero
38. From whom did you get your last email? The head of the Post Prom Committee
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Kohls
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? No
41. Like your job? I'm currently unemployed, but I love being a teacher!
42. Broccoli? Yes
43. What was your favorite vacation? Yellowstone and the Tetons
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? Hubby and his parents
45. What are you listening to right now? Just the sound of me typing
46. What is your favorite color? Red
47. How many tattoos do you have? None
48. How many people will fill this out? Don't know
49. What time did you finish this quiz? 5:17 CST
50. Coffee Drinker? NO, love the smell, hate the taste!
Get An Email Alert Each Time MICHELE_L Posts