Thursday, December 03, 2009
It's December already - crazy!
In the post-Thanksgiving spirit, I would like to express my gratitude that 2009 has been a healthy year for me so far. To balance an energetic toddler and work and everything else life throws at me, I need to be healthy, and I've been blessed this year - only one nasty flu a few months ago! Thanks to my Spark friends who have been so supportive and helped me stay happy and fairly sane! :)
This year I've been maintaining within about a five-pound range. I do need to get more fit to keep up with my daughter (she keeps getting faster!), but for December I think I need to focus on maintaining rather than progressing. This is the lowest weight of my adult life so I need to remember to appreciate where I am now - maintainence is especially hard for me since I like results and accomplishments.
I can tell already that December is going to be a challenge with work and life and everything. I've been stressy and my old defeatist attitude has been creeping back in - as a result, I've not been taking care of myself.
Plus, the holidays tend to be a challenge for me since I'm an emotional eater. (If I'm not being mindful, I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm stressed, I eat to avoid hurting somene's feeelings, etc.)
Here are my December goals (subject to change, haha):
* Make back-up plans! Squeeze in the exercise any way I can, even if it means pretending The Wiggles is an exercise video or sneaking in plyo and strength moves whenever I can.
* Plan ahead on meals! Strategize to make the most of the meals I prepare for myself - protein-centered, high nutrient, and low calorie. Practice portion control for other meals.
* Prioritze treats! Do I really want it or (big challenge for me!) am I just eating it because it's there?
* Pick two "free" days. This way I won't feel deprived when the truffles start appearing at work. Right now I think this will be the company party and Christmas Day.
* Keep up with the fruit and veggies, and start having yogurt 5 days a week. I really, really don't want to catch the germs going around.
* Make sure there is always good low calorie choices around - crunchy veggies to much on or sweet fruit to savor.
We can do it!