MARYELLEN301   105,404
100,000-149,999 SparkPoints
MARYELLEN301's Recent Blog Entries

My Copper boy is gone and I'm so sad.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Copper would have been 5 years old tomorrow. He was a BIG orange, talkative male Tabby cat, with a big long striped tail, and the love of my life. I adopted him from a no kill shelter on May 25, 2012. He was just hours from being put down when he was taken in by the shelter. He came to me with no name, but a date of birth. How odd is that? Anyway, I tried a total of 27 names for male orange cats and he answered to none of them, so he became "Copper"

After only 2 days of "owning" him, I would have turned over heaven and earth had he gotten lost. He was so loveable and cuddly and he managed to weave himself into every aspect of my life. He loved to "back cuddle" when I was on the computer. He'd hop up behind me and warm my back while I stroked him and he purred. He loved to be held like a baby. I used to tell him that I was sure some little girl had spoiled him rotten when he was a kitten. He loved to supervise when I cooked. He'd strut into the kitchen and talk to me till I showed him what I was making. Sometimes he'd be interested, other times he'd turn up his nose and walk away. He loved canned whipped cream. He's hear the familiar swoosh and come running for a lick from my finger.

He really loved my other cat, Sweetie. Ashes, whose place Copper took, really held Sweetie in contempt. She's lick her head then bash her in the face. Copper just loved Sweetie and the feeling was mutual. They'd groom each other and sleep curled up together all the time.

A few weeks ago, I noticed Copper was getting thin. Almost like he was when I brought him home from the shelter. When you have more than one cat and they self feed you don't notice when one is off their food as readily as if I had been feeding them canned food. I did notice he was turning up his nose at treats though. A week ago Tuesday I brought him into the vet's He was dehydrated and just not himself. The vet kept him for 30 hours and re-hydrated him with IV's They got him to eat a bit of some special canned food and sent him home with me. He looked like a pregnant elephant! His belly was so distended, but I was told that was the result of the fluids they pumped into him. He ate a bit of food Wednesday night, and I began weighing him every morning. By the weekend he was going downhill pretty quickly. I wasn't sure he's make it through the night Sunday night. He didn't have the strength to even jump up on the bed or jump down the next morning. I slept with my hand on his paw or his tail all night long and each time I woke up to check on him, Sweetie was licking his head. His stomach was so distended. He looked like those pictures of starving children from Sudan. I took him to the vet first thing Monday morning. By 8:20 they'd called and said he had rapidly growing a mass in his stomach and gently suggested that he needed to be put down. I just could not believe it. He was so big and strong and healthy 2 weeks earlier and suddenly he was so frail, and I was being told he needed to be put to sleep. He wasn't even 5 years old yet! All of my cats have lived to their late teens. I figured I had at least another 10 years of loving him, but it didn't work out that way this time. He died in my arms with me whispering to him how much we all loved him, and he was gone. There is still an indent in the back of the couch where he used to lay and I'd pet him on my way past him. It's just so hard when you see them deteriorate in front of your eyes and can do nothing to stop it.

Sweetie has become very needy and she's not an affectionate cat. She too was a rescue and I think she may have been a bit feral in her younger days. She hates to be held and will only sleep at the foot of the bed. And the only way I can show her affection is to hold her head between my hands and rub my chin on her head. She loves that, but nothing else. After Copper's big loveable warmth, neither Sweetie nor I are getting what we both crave from him. I promised him a new house. Even had the builder put in a cat door to the screen porch so he could go in and out just like he has here. (Sweetie, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, only knows how to come IN the door, not go out!) With the impending move and 2 rather lengthy trips coming up, I probably won't (shouldn't) bring another cat into the family till after the first of the year. I did look at the website of the shelter where I got Copper and they had several BIG orange male tabby cats for adoption, so I probably won't have trouble finding one. I just hope Copper guides me to the right one.

Lisa, my financial adviser called when she heard of Coppers passing and incredibly, she told me that one of her clients had given her a gift. It was a "reading" from a pet medium. The reading was done the very day that Copper died. Lisa had to put down a very special dog in June. There were other animals in the house and all were affected by Jake's passing. I have the link to the medium and will probably call upon her to do a reading for me. It was amazing what she told my FA about her pets. She even mentioned 2 cats that Lisa had not mentioned to the reader. Lisa gave her very little information about the animals other than their breed, age and if they were still with us or had been put down. The details were amazing. There were facts that the reader had no way of knowing, like the layout of the house and the fact that one of the cats (that had not been named in the reading request) preferred the food that she had previously been given because of the "creamy texture" and could they go back to feeding her that instead of the new stuff Lisa had changed to about 2 weeks earlier! Anyway, I think I want to use her to tell Copper just how much we all loved him and miss him and to ask him to come to the new house with us. Apparently Lisa's Jake is still there and "talks" to the new Golden Retriever that they rescued. (But he doesn't like the name they chose and would prefer to call her "Boo" instead of Ginger!) I'd love it if Copper would do the same to whoever I end up bringing into the family! There is a huge void in my life right now. He was such a sweet boy. I'll miss him always.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:


    So sorry to hear about Copper..... I have 3 house bunnies that I rescued and I know I would be devastated if something happened to any of them. Hoping you will welcome another one into your life when the time is right.

Report Inappropriate Comment
SISSYFEB48 10/2/2013 11:50PM

    Sending hug over your loss for Copper. But think you are right about not doing anything til after your trip and the move. emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SABLENESS 10/2/2013 9:22PM

    My heart goes out to you and to Sweetie. It's an extra shock with one so young. I came home to find my seven-year-old cat of cats dropped dead on the floor. I later read that Maine Coons are prone to heart trouble. Your kitty sounds like a really special one too.

Report Inappropriate Comment
FLORIDASUN 10/2/2013 9:08AM

    I found your reply on a mutual sparky's page and just had to come over and give you an EXTRA big hug! emoticon We just lost our beautiful fur baby Keanu a few weeks back who also was the light of our life! We were lucky though we had him for 18 years a pic of he and his momma cat Chin Chin is on my pic page. He was SUCH a special cat..a real cuddler too...and he was a joy to our 22 year old son as was his momma cat who passed three years ago. Losing Keanu was like losing Josh all over again because he was really our last link to our son. It's sorrow doubled. I still expect to hear him come running when we come home at night and yowl out his welcome. It's just SO darn I feel your pain and want you to know that you added so much joy to his life by rescuing him and he's STILL very much with you and always will be.

I honestly think it's the pet foods that are killing our animals...the stuff I've read about what they put into it is absolutely's not fit to eat and I really think it causes our dear animals to develop all kinds of problems. You can research the healthier ones by googling healthy pet foods.

Hugs to you my friend and blessings to you for being such a wonderful fur momma to the beautiful and loving Copper boy.
emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
GOING-STRONG 10/1/2013 11:47PM

    My heart aches for you. We took in a stray cat about 10 years ago even though we already had two others. Within days she was the light of our lives. We only had her for a very short 1 1/2 years but still miss her dearly.


Report Inappropriate Comment
GRAMMAP1 10/1/2013 11:29PM

    I hear you, Friend. Kitties entwine the heart and even when they are gone the precious memories linger. And Copper was so young. They often look so strong and healthy and yet their life is fragile. I have had to put several Kitties down and I don't believe I ever stop grieving. My newest want love on her conditions like your Sweetie, but they love deeply too. I agree, it must relate to previous care givers. Take care. emoticon Jane

Report Inappropriate Comment
MABELL1WFTX 10/1/2013 10:19PM

    Oh, how much love comes through this blog and into so many hearts. I hear your hurt, but I also hear your love and memories. I cannot know how you feel, as I have not lost or had to put down one of my kitties. I have lost dogs and it does leave such a void in your life. He was such a beautiful cat. My oldest is 12 and I am hoping he lives forever. Thoughts are with you as you continue to heal each day and prepare for another needy kitten to love.

Report Inappropriate Comment
REDDOGMOM 9/29/2013 12:58PM

    I'm sorry for your loss. Your loving tribute brought tears to my eyes. Copper was lucky to have had you in his life.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CATLADY52 9/28/2013 4:31PM

    You probably will not have another cat just like Copper but he'll be near enough that you'll love him too. emoticon Meanwhile, Sweetie needs all the love you can give. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LINDAK25 9/27/2013 1:26PM

    Maryellen, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CAPECODLIGHT 9/27/2013 10:10AM

    I am so sorry for you. Your love and sadness comes through in your very moving blog. Copper was a lucky boy to have lived with you and vice versa.
I lost my Reva in a similar way. She was fine, and then I came home one day, and her back legs were paralyzed. X-rays showed she had a large mass on her heart and lungs. I decided not to treat, as her quality of life was so compromised already, and the mass might not be operable. Putting a beloved pet down is one of the hardest things I'll ever do.
I hope Copper is playing with all the other kitties, including Reva who was a hoot, across the Rainbow Bridge.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CIROHIO 9/27/2013 9:50AM

    Awe honey I am sorry to hear of the loss of your furbaby. My heart goes out to you. ((((HUGS 4 U))))

Report Inappropriate Comment
GARDENCHRIS 9/27/2013 7:09AM

    so sorry...... they do leave a void when one of our fur babies dies....

Report Inappropriate Comment
LJCANNON 9/26/2013 10:57PM

    emoticon I am so sorry to hear this! Losing Pets is a High Price for all the Love they give us. But it IS Worth It!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BRENJET 9/26/2013 7:51PM


So Sorry for your loss. Please be sure to post after you've met with the reader/medium.


Report Inappropriate Comment
THEHERDLADY 9/26/2013 7:36PM

    So so sorry to read about the loss of your beautiful Copper. They become such a huge part of our lives so very fast. And they leave a huge hole in our hearts when they have to go. I am glad you have your Sweetie with you. She may not crave the same sort of attention Copper wanted, but be sure, she needs it as much as you do. You will be a comfort to each other. Be well and love on Sweetie often. Good luck!
The Herd Lady

Report Inappropriate Comment

Time for an update on the house situation

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Well, last time I wrote about the house selling/buying situation was at the very beginning of the adventure. So much has happened since then it almost gives you whiplash thinking about it! When last I posted, a couple was going to come see the house before it was ready for prime time. I broke my neck getting it as close to ready as possible before I left for Chicago. (The B-day Bash was really fun. Lots of old friends) Well, they never showed up. I was disappointed but relieved at the same time, as it really wasn't ready to be shown. When I got home I got serious about "staging" the place and I guess I must have done a fine job, as the first 4 people saw it on a Friday and by Sunday morning I had 2 bids and the other who saw it wanted another showing so their SO's could see it! I accepted a cash offer for my asking price with the stipulation that I be allowed to stay in the house till my November 4th closing date. All was agreed upon and the "SOLD" sign went up. That's when the fun began.

A cash offer doesn't require an appraisal, but they got one anyway. Now a little background info is needed here. I bought this house in 2000 for $140K and I agreed to pay outside vendors an extra $10K for the upgrades I put into the house while it was being built, so essentially I paid $150K for the house. Over the course of 13 years I added at least $40K of improvements. I did those improvements for myself and I enjoyed every one of them. I also knew that I was probable making the house "too improved for the area" but that was fine with me, I was staying here forever, right? Well, maybe not so right after all! Anyway, I just wanted out and I listed the house for $150K. She was getting a 190K house for 150K. Great deal, which is probably why all four of the lookers were really interested in it. Anyway, her agent sends Frick and Frack over to do the appraisal. They used 3 comps, 2 of which were really not comps at all. The third was close to comparable but my house was bigger and had a 2 car garage, not a one car like the house they used to compare. Well, instead of ADDING for the extras, the dinged me $5K! so the appraisal came in at 145K when it should have been closer to 159K! We went back and forth on it as the buyer wanted me to come down on the price. I was so upset I removed the sold sign! I know she was driving past the house on a regular basis, so that was my way of thumbing my nose at her!

Anyway, they go through with an inspection. I did my own pre sale inspection and had corrected many of the issues my guy found, but I left a few so their inspector would make himself look useful in finding a few problems. Well, the day of the inspection she showed up with the inspector, a termite inspector and her agent. That would be considered normal, however she also toted along both her sons with their wives, a cousin and his wife and a nephew! It was like Grand Central here! I took extra cookies out of the freezer and retreated to hole up in the office! I think the thing that really galled me was when her agent said "It's amazing how many of the upgrades you have done to your house, my client has done to her own house. You have that wonderful hot water circulating pump that brings instant hot water to all your faucets, and the terrific air purification system you installed with the ultraviolet light so you have "hospital quality" air" It's uncanny!" Here she was trying to get me to come down on the price when she KNEW how much I'd put in in upgrades! It really galled me, but I just smiled sweetly.

Then they submitted the inspection report. Since there was very little that needed to be done, they got so picky as to ask me to replace light bulbs in the bathroom fixtures! I kept reminding myself that I was getting a cash deal with the ability to not have to do an interim move. That was the pipe dream I wrote about in the previous blog so many months ago. I replaced the darn light bulbs along with a few other minor requests and thanked God that I didn't have to have the house on the market for months on end. So far we are set to close on the morning of the 4th of November. The new house will close that same afternoon.

On to the new house. I am working with a fabulous builder! He is on site almost every day I am there and is willing to make so many changes, both major and minor. I have been picking out and making decisions on so many things, from the color of the shutters to the style of the towel bars and everything in between. I have decided to go with black white and gray for the dominant colors and I"m adding pops of color for each room or area. For instance, the house is all brick with the exception of some vinyl on the gables. I've chosen gray shake shingles for the vinyl with black shutters and a red front door. Just today I decided on the granite for the kitchen. I chose white cabinets with a black glaze and black handles with black appliances. I had seen a granite called Bianco Romano that I fell in love with, I was almost positive I was going to go with that till I got to the granite warehouse. My neighbor was with me and she spotted it first and called me over. We had seen several slabs that were not the usual shiny granite. They were labeled "LF". We asked and were told the LF designation was for "Leather Finish". Yes, the granite was not the usual shinny finish but was called Leather Finish. It has a texture to is and I found it so very appealing. My current granite requires me to take a towel after washing it and dry it off so streaks and water marks do not show. The LF doesn't have that issue at all. I felt like a bride when she tried on THE dress! I just knew it was the right one for the kitchen. Currently I have all the windows up, the electrical is done and they are waiting for the inspection of the insulation before they begin putting up the drywall. I had a lot of fun telling people I "had shingles". They would look all concerned and sympathetic and then I'd tell them it was "the good kind" up on the roof! The brick has been delivered and hopefully the weather will not play a part in the completion of that application. Once the wall board is up I guess they can deliver the cabinetry and begin to get the trim applied. We are still on target for a November 4th closing. The kicker though is that I am leaving for a river cruise from Paris to Normandy and on to Mont St. Michel. I will be gone from Oct 13th to the 28th, giving me 3.5 days to pack up the house for the movers to load up on Saturday. The half day comes on Thursday when I do the final walk through for the house. That Sunday will be spent cleaning up the current house for the buyer. I"m sure I will be exhausted that week, so in anticipation of that, I have begun to pack up any and everything that I can now, and I have begun living like I am camping out in my own house! I have packed up the everyday dishes and will use a few stray Corelle plates and paper plates and I will use plastic "silverware". I have been eating down my freezer to the best of my ability. Amazing what you find in there! All in all it has been an adventure and despite my annoyance at the buyer (or maybe it was all her agent?) things have gone remarkably smoothly. I am indeed very blessed with how things have gone down.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

HEALTHYARTIST1 10/17/2013 9:02PM

    Gee I have been toying with the idea of moving to a 55+ community and I love the floor plans as well but my home looks good to me after reading your saga. I have put about 200k into this home in 15 years so I think I will enjoy it for a while longer if not forever.
Just found you through a mutual friend and whew! you do travel a lot! Glad you do as my dh's health makes us nervous to travel. So go for it!

BTW, just added you as a friend as my page is private for the most part but you sound like so much fun I just had to add you. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SISSYFEB48 10/2/2013 11:47PM

    What a saga with the buyer (or agent)...but what a relief before you head off.
Enjoy your trip!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CATLADY52 9/22/2013 12:37PM

    Have a good trip. You deserve one having lived through the selling of the old one. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
CAPECODLIGHT 9/22/2013 7:09AM

    Phew! I got breathless just reading this.... Reminds me again about how much selling/buying a house entails. When I sold my condo to move to this house, I remember the prospective owners did their "inspection" using their brother-in-law who had some construction background. As it turns out, he basically told them they should jump on the place and pooh-poohed every little thing they brought up.
Have a wonderful time on your trip. Mont St. Michele was so special to me. We stayed overnight there - all lit up at night, it was magical, and climbing to the top the next day and singing "Amazing Grace" in the scriptorium with my group was very spiritual. I am off to Italy in October - a Rick Steves' tour, "Villages of Italy". We'll do Venice on our own first then join our group in Padua. The focus is on some of the less traveled places in Umbria, Tuscany, etc. We end at Lake Orta in Piedmont.
Hope house issues continue on without a hitch for you, and Bon journee!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DJ4HEALTH 9/22/2013 1:07AM

    emoticon except for the real estate agent and I know it was her that did all that stuff.

Report Inappropriate Comment
LINDAK25 9/21/2013 10:38PM

    I was wondering how everything was going. Glad it's all working out. (Does anyone ever like the people who buy their house?) Great idea to pack everything you can. Have a great trip and enjoy your new house!

Report Inappropriate Comment

    Happy to hear everything is working out for you.

Sharon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

moving update

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

WOW, things are moving fast! I've rented a storage unit close by. Movers are coming today to take some of the larger items out of the house to make my 1362 sq. ft. appear larger. I've got suitcases filled with clothes and shoes to open up the closets. I"m borrowing room in my neighbors trash cans. My car is already packed with stuff to put into the storage unit. My kitchen counters are at a bare minimum. Toaster oven and Ninja for smoothies and a fruit bow. Nice table fountain for ambiance. Vacuum sealer, food scale and knife set on the island and only i crockery jar for utensils by the cook-top. Isn't it amazing how we can all along think we can't live without some things and when push comes to shove, it becomes totally dispensable?
The reason the big push is coming so soon is that at a sales meeting my agent mentioned my house coming on the market. Another agent has a couple interested and they want to see it before it is even listed on the MLS. I"m going to Chicago this weekend. It's my HS class' 65th B-day Bash, and they want to see the house while I'm gone, so I have been like a one armed paper hanger getting stuff ready to show. Wouldn't it be grand if they loved the house, offered me cash and were willing to let me rent it back till I close in November! Talk about a pipe dream!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CAROLJ35 7/2/2013 9:18PM

    Good Luck with your move! Things will work out with house sale as places are moving fast in the Raleigh area. And have a great trip to Chicago!

emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

    WOW! I was just stopping by to see if anything was going on with our Raleigh team and saw your blog. Wishing you the best on your future move. Are you staying in the area? I never had a chance to meet you and you are already moving away..
Have a wonderful time in Chicago and your class birthday bash...

Sharon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
-LINDA_S 6/27/2013 8:35AM

    Wow, I had no idea you were considering moving! Are you coming up a bit in this direction? I'd love to know which community looks so good to you! Have fun in Chicago!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DJ4HEALTH 6/20/2013 12:55AM

    That is great and hope that they let you stay there until closing too

Report Inappropriate Comment
LINDAK25 6/19/2013 8:45PM

    Wow! You didn't have a chance to seat around and worry about all that stuff. Hope the showing goes well. Have a great time in Chicago this weekend.

Report Inappropriate Comment
IDICEM 6/19/2013 9:18AM

  Good luck! And have fun at the class birthday bash. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
CAPECODLIGHT 6/19/2013 8:48AM

    Fingers crossed the couple loves it and they offer the right price. I was lucky that way on the last home sale. The buyers learned I was getting ready to sell from a neighbor, and we did the sale without any realtor commission.

Good luck, and enjoy your Birthday Bash!

Report Inappropriate Comment

New House!

Sunday, June 16, 2013

I'm very excited! I have made the decision to move to a 55+ community about 20 miles from where I currently live. I absolutely LOVE the floor plan. It's very open and much larger than my current 1368 sq. ft. of space. The big drawback though is that I will suddenly, once again, have a mortgage for about the next 5 years. And that will cut into my travel budget. But lets face it, I've been traveling like a fool these past several years, so even if I cut back I will probably still be taking more trips than most folks do in a year, so it's not as bleak as I first thought it would be.

Now the task of getting my house ready to show. I need to maximize the look of the space so purging is in order. Last night I took about 1/3 of my clothes and packed them in extra suitcases to go in the attic. But what to do with big pieces like my treadmill and the credenza. I want those for the new house but do I really want to rent a storage unit to store them? And who do I get to move these heavy pieces from here to the unit, if I get one. A Moving Co. will look at that task as nothing but busy work and probably won't be interested in the job. I'll be busy for sure getting all this stuff taken care of. Won't have time to eat!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

SISSYFEB48 9/20/2013 6:39PM

    Just read you can tell I am WAY behind! Congratulations on making the decision. I am sure you will be happy about it. Hugs. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LJCANNON 6/19/2013 4:58PM

    emoticon Congratulations on your New Home! I know you will have a Fabulous Time getting everything done. Enjoy the process.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CATLADY52 6/19/2013 4:51PM

    Good luck with the move. I'm certain that you won't have a problem emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LINDAK25 6/16/2013 1:12PM

    Moving is a great way to get rid of all the stuff that you've collected that you don't really need! We have a place around here called Two Guys and A Truck that would move your two pieces. I'm sure you'll find something. Somehow, everything always manages to work out.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CAPECODLIGHT 6/16/2013 12:08PM

    Congratulations on the 55+ move. I have friends who have done this and are so glad they did. How about a garage sale or estate sale? That weeds things out quickly. I don't think people mind the treadmill so much, as lots of people have them. The key to me is not having clutter. Sell/pack the knickknacks, clear the countertops, and take as much off the floor in way of baskets, etc. If it is warm and inviting, it will sell... Good luck1

Report Inappropriate Comment
WILDKAT781 6/16/2013 9:51AM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARYELLEN301 6/16/2013 8:30AM

    Creativity will be the name of the game! Since the HOA takes care of the grounds, I can get rid of all the gardening stuff. That will make some garage room. My mind is going a mile a minute with plans!

Report Inappropriate Comment
PICKIE98 6/16/2013 8:03AM

    Can you wheel them into your garage? How about a modern art piece (stuff covered with a sheet and a sign for humor)put credenza and treadmill back-to-back place against a wall where nobody would be measuring or in place of a dining table, give it a name like "Mover's Treasures"?

just a suggestion.. so happy you found a great new place!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
IDICEM 6/16/2013 8:02AM

  How exciting for you! I'm sure you'll work everything out. Good luck with the sale!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Antarctica with pictures, Vol 4

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Well it's a good thing I told my Credit Card Company I was going to Antarctica, even though I figured there was no shopping down there, but I wrong! The UK has a research station there called Port Lockroy. It's quite small so they broke the group into 2 and while one half took a tour the other half got to mingle with the penguins. We did penguins first and unless I get a picture from someone on the tour, this is the closest documented record of me with a penguin. It doesn't compare to many others I've gotten of me with some sort of a wild animal but it's the best I have.

Much of the facility as been preserved from early exploration time and you can see drawings of Marilyn Monroe and Liz Taylor, done by the researchers who faced many a long winter with no daylight and worse yet, with no female companionship. But they could dream!

Conditions were pretty harsh and very dangerous. These were a dedicated bunch of researchers. We were able to send post cards from their post office. I have no idea how long they will take to reach their destination. A ship would be stopping in a few weeks to pick up the mail. They would eventually get to London and stuff would be postmarked there and then sent on to the final destination. We were told it would be months getting there. The little gift shop was more than I expected. I always get Christmas ornaments to commemorate my trips. I get one for myself and two for each of the daughters of a good friend. They had nothing in the way of ornaments but they had the cutest little key chains that were actually bottle openers in the shape of penguins! They had "Antarctica" written on them and they easily converted to hanging ornaments. I really never thought I'd find anything, so it was a real bonus.

After we left the folks at Port Lockroy, we cruised through the Lemaire Channel. It is 14 nautical miles long and at its narrowest is 250 meters wide, with towering peaks over 1100 meters high. That is where I got some of my most spectacular photos. The sun was shining brightly and the contrast between the white of the glaciers, the black of the rocks and the blue of the sea was stunning.

On our way through the channel we were escorted by several whales which delighted us by leaping from the water. They put on quite a show that lasted for about 20 minutes!

Beyond the channel, we navigated to the "iceberg graveyard" of Pleneau Bay. The bay is relatively shallow. Icebergs float into the bay and get hung up in the shallow waters and cannot flow out of the bay. It is crowded with stranded icebergs, many of which penguins and leopard seals use for sun bathing! Arches are somewhat hard to find as they usually develop fissures and break apart. We were lucky to see a gorgeous one and luckier still to be able to see the crevasse where, in a day or two, it would suddenly collapse and would be no more.

You can see it was just another lovely day in a frozen paradise!

Stay tuned for more.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CAPECODLIGHT 4/2/2013 8:16AM

    Wow! Spectacular pictures.... I would have loved to see the leaping whales. My whale watches have all been looking at blowholes and the occasional tail flap.

Report Inappropriate Comment

    Beautiful pictures! I am glad you had such a great time!

Report Inappropriate Comment
GARDENCHRIS 3/29/2013 7:36AM

    very nice! such an exciting vacation.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ARTJAC 3/28/2013 2:45AM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MJ7DM33 3/27/2013 7:02PM

  Beautiful! Thx for sharing!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LINDAK25 3/27/2013 6:34PM

    Wow, you weren't kidding, those photos really are spectacular! Lucky you, the whales put on a show. Amazing.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CELIAMINER 3/27/2013 7:41AM

    Ahhhh, thanks for continuing to share your travelogue!

Report Inappropriate Comment
IDICEM 3/26/2013 11:50PM

  What a fantastic experience! Thank you for sharing! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Last Page