Sunday, December 06, 2009
To break the suspense I took 3rd in the Masters 50+ and 4th in the Masters 45+ - Yes I have two "BEAUTIFUL TROPHIES" which I will display proudly in my house which attest to my fitness level at that time in my life. Yes, I will have a shrine of this year because it has been a long one, which started in January 2009.
The day started great and all in all I had a nice time at this competition. I mingled and had fun. I actually spoke to a young lady who came all the way from Sweden to compete. She really looked great with the "natural" blonde hair and all. She had such a sweet accent. She and some of her friends always wanted to visited America so they came for a week. Like I said it was really nice this time around and fast.
My class was the first up so for prejudging I was only at the auditorium for two hours then I went home to rest. We had to be back at 6:30 and my group was on the stage by 8:00 and I was home "EATING" at 8:30. Sorry but my BF and daughter are picture illiterate. None of the pictures looked that great. Really. I took some pictures at home with the trophies and I will post them.
As I reflect on Satuday's competition what I noticed was and my daughter noticed was that most of the women where "TINY". On Saturday morning, I weighed in at 125 pounds and I should have been at least 8 - 10 pounds less. I currently wear a size 2 and everyone who knows me says I am small. These women have to be a ZERO or as my daughter puts it a double ZERO or negative ZERO. They also had that hard look in their face. Like all the fat had been sucked out of it or they just need to eat something. One of my biggest compliments is that I do not look my age and one of the reasons is because my face is not all sunken in like some older people have. As my daughter stated - some of them women's face had that hard looked and some looked like men in the face.
My reflection on figure competing this year:
I ended year 2008 with a quest to figure compete in 2009. If you read my introduction you will note that I said I had been bitten with the figure competing bug. Everyone who knows me, knows once I put my mind to accomplish something it will be done. For anyone who wants to figure compete they need to research what they are getting into and what it in tells.
What I learned is that the sport and yes it is a sport is:
1. Mentally consuming - I have lived this quest all year long - I was either in a leaning or building phase all year long with only a short three weeks off to live Charlene's life.
2. Financially consuming - the first time around I was sponsored by my Company which gave me $1500 which I used every penny of it. The second time around I paid out approximately $1,000 - which consisted of a posing coach - $300.00, suit - $325.00, competition fees - $160.00, pre-prep before competition - $125.00, Jantana - $35.00 and miscellaneous fees. The first time I paid for an internet trainer but the second time I trained on my own with the previous program
3. Time consuming - Most of the year was spent in training for figure competitions - It was a good thing my boyfriend lives in another state because most of my day centered around working and the gym. Our relationship would have truly suffered if he had lived in California. I really could not enjoy my girlfriends. All of our activities where centered around what phase I was in the training mode; could I eat, could I drink, could a road trip be plan.
4. Physically consuming - I will be 56 years old in one month and boy this was hard but figure competing is hard at any age. As I have said, this is a sport, and if you want to win you have to be dedicated to your "LOVE" and yes it is a sick love to put your body through pure torture. To constantly push it to get that "LOOK". I lifted weights until my body screamed. I hate cardio and I endured cardio twice a day for 30 minutes and in the final three weeks it was upped to 90 minutes of cardio - three times a day. I ran 3 miles at lunch for 30 minutes four times a week and I have arthritis in my left knee but I endured.
5.Nutritionally consuming - I have eaten so much fish that the Mercury ticker would probably be off the chart. If I never see a can of tuna again, it will be too soon. For 11 months I have eaten basically the same thing with limited changes. Today I had pancakes, with substitute syrup and egg whites instead of OATMEAL and four egg whites.
6. Emotionally consuming - Man your hormones have to be affected by the limited amount of vitamins and nutrition your are consuming. Just the stress of trying to loose the weight and getting the "LOOK" is enough to keep you on pins and needles.
I completed my quest and I am SATISFIED and with that said I can close this chapter of my life. This has been a very successful year in regards to me taking my health level to another chapter. I totally transformed my body and you know you are successful when others compliment you. One of the biggest compliments I had attesting to my level of fitness was last week I was in the mall and I had on some jeans, with a cute top and my four inch heels and as I was walking through the store a couple of 20 something young men whistled at me. Yes, this has been a successful year with changing my looks plus and which is the most important - I upped my level of exercising which has helped me with my arthritis problems,even though I shouldn't be running as much. I also completed my first 5K which I placed 3rd in my field.
As I close out 2009, I need to concentrate on what my quest will be for 2010. I know for one, I will learn to swim. This is a major thing for me because for one I have a fear of water which I need to overcome and being a African-American women, I have real issues with getting my hair wet:) But, I am going to overcome these two fears and learn to swim in 2010 because my BF also want to compete in the "Amazing Races" TV series.
I know this has been a "long" blog, but I am closing a very important chapter of my life and I will be moving on to different activities/quests in 2010.
Thank you everyone for all the support and compliments you provided while I was pursing my quest to figure compete. I will remind active on Sparks but in a Maintenance mode. I do want to either maintain the current level of definition I have or even put on a little more but I am not going to stress. As my BF stated, he likes me with a little more meat on my body, so I am going to enjoy the holiday's to a limit.
Saturday, December 05, 2009
Saturday is my big day. YEAH!!!!
Friday went non-stop from the moment I got up.
1. Went to the gym and did 30 minutes in the sauna - 7 minutes in, three minute out, until the 30 minutes was up.
2. Hair appointment - beautician was swamped - took two hours to get out
3. Went to bank and paid bills
4. Had Nails done and waxing
5. Mall - pick-up some earrings. My hair is so long that I had to find earrings that would stand out under my hair
6. Scrubbed skin again and had BF apply tanning solution
7. Went to Radisson Hotel for Bikini and Figure check-in - there are over 200 women competing in the bikini and figure competitions. That is not even counting the bodybuilders. Saturday will be a long day for some of the people. Thank God, for the prejudging, my group is the first one out, with me being the first one on the stage. I am lucky number "1".
8. Practice, Practice, Practice
While I was out running errands, I stopped by my old trainer and had my body fat taken - it was 12.45. When I started September 18th I was at 17.48. In 10 weeks I dropped my body fat by 5 points...nice. My measurements this morning where
Natural waist - 24.50
Waist - 25
Hips - 35.25
In the figure competition I am competing in both Masters for 45 + and 50+. I saw the ladies I am going to be competing against, and these ladies are "skinny". I mean they are really thin. Everyone had on jogging suits so you really could not see any definition but they where thin. You know like older women with money and stiff hair. They also "looked" like they where in their 40s or 50s. Not being conceited but if the competition was based on looks, man I would have this won hands down.
Well I can not wait until Saturday is over with so I can get to enjoying the holidays a little bit. Hopefully next time I log on, I will have some good news.
Get An Email Alert Each Time MARVELOUS50S Posts