Tuesday, December 02, 2008
I love Thanksgiving. I think it opens up a time of a year that just means so much to me. I hold it dearly to my heart because I have the best memories during these months. I have a big family and getting together and spending these holidays was THE event of the year since i was a little girl.
I anxiously waited for Christmas, New Years, and Dia de los Reyes Magos (3 wise men day, highly celebrated in Mexico) in January. Then the end of the holidays would be on Feb. 2nd, another holiday in Mexico, Dia de la Candelaria.
It weird...I don't know if it happens to alot of people like it happens to me, but just as December rolls in, I go out, and the world seems different. The smell is different. The people, the sun, the grass....everything changes. Maybe it's me who is overcome with excitement and joy that I will get to see my family that lives far away (I have family that come over from MExico city every year!), the food, the laughter shared, the funny dances my aunts get into after a couple of tequilas, THE GREAT food, my cousins, the great food...oh did I mention the food?? lol
This month will bring happiness with the family gatherings. It will bring melancholy because it is one more year, one more Christmas without my brother which we haven't heard from in years. And it will bring a challenge. With the parties and food it's hard to keep focus. It seems there are places to be every weekend and even week days. I have to keep strong and make it through this month the best way possible.
My goal for December is to lose 5 lbs this month. I surpassed my 5lb goal for Nov. by 1 lb. So I'm happy about that! So I want to do the same this month. It will definitely prove my willingness to commit to mYSELF. I am the baker of my family so I know it will be very hard since I always give goodies out to my family but I will be strong. I HAVE TO BE STRONG.
My deadline is closing in on me. I have 19 lbs to lose by January 17 th 2008. I know....seems so hard. But I will do my best. And I will reach my goal and look better than I had expected. Its not a goal. ITS A PROMISE. I will not let myself down.
happy holidays to everyone out there.
Thursday, November 06, 2008
My weakness: BREAD
Okay, let me explain. I LOVE BAKING. I love sweet bread, regular breads, cakes, cupcakes, pies, cookies...you name it. I love making it. I love getting all dirty with flour and the smell it brings to my house when I bake something. I want to believe it's in my genes. My mother says my grandma was a great baker. Maybe that is where I get it.
I can go without eating some stuff or making them. But this week, man this week has been really hard. I feel a NEED to bake. I feel the NEED to smell that smell. So, I looked up the recipe for Conchitas, which is a yeast Mexican sweet bread that is delicious. I've never made this before but I did this time.
I will proudly say I ate half of one yesterday night when they came out of the oven. And I just ate a whole one today. I don't care. I know its 300+ calories per serving...I know...too many carbs...but so what? Just because I'm getting healthy and eating right doesn't mean all mexican panaderias and such will close for me!! I have to learn how to handle it!
I ate one today like I said...and I started to feel guilty....then I almost slapped myself! Why should I feel guilty! It's food, its delicious! ENJOY IT!!! So I did. I just wont have the pasta I was planing for today. I will just eat the veggies and chicken. And I just did the calculations and I am good in my calorie range....
I've been stressing so much at work with inspections coming up next week but that doesn't mean I have to over eat!! I ate one. and that is it. (well for today).
I'm feeling good. I ate it and enjoyed it. NExt thing in life please, cuz I've moved on!!!
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
When I decided I needed to make a change to not only change my body but my way of thinking and living, I was pumped. Pumped to make it happen. To be fit and be healthy. I made a vision in my head of what I wanted to feel and look like. But then I was lost. I had no idea how to start. I knew what I had to do. Eat right & exercise. But how can I keep on track and keep myself motivated? I didn't want to be once again, a failed attempt to my several weight loss strategies.
Then I found Sparkpeople.com! I was very skeptical to say the least. I thought... counting calories?? yeah right like I'm going to have time to do that! Who does that anyway?!!? But as I looked through the website I realized it wasn't just a calorie counter. It was a whole new thing which had exactly what I needed to be successful!
SOOO..that being said, here is why I like, scratch that.... LOVE SparkPeople!
1. Calorie counter- I really think counting calories on your own with a pen and paper would be so much hassle! But this tool is great! There is a vast variety of foods listed and if you got one that isn't, you put it in yourself. I've done this with the food I frequently eat and are not listed. Its fast, easy, and accurate, need I say more?
2. MOTIVATION!!!!!!!!- talk about getting your self esteem up! Everyday you get motivated with a differente quote. I love reading it every morning. Gets me in the right mindset for the rest of the day. And how about the great energy every single member of this site brings to you just by posting their stories, pics, successes....etc. It's a reminder that I can do this too!
3. Discussion boards- Getting to talk to people with the same interests as you or that in situations similar to yours is incredible! You can identify, get together, keep each other motivated, therefor succeeding together!
4. Fitness tracker- This is great! I can see a progress in calories burnt which gets me to keep on going to see that number increase and know I'm getting closer to my goal!
5. Weight ticker- LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Its a visual reminder of how far I've come in such little time.
6. Articles, recipes, blogs- OMG I could just keep going! We have all the tools we need here! You can find the answer to your questions here!
7. RECIPES!!!- This is great! I know I get stuck on the same foods everyday because I don't know too much on how to cook healthy and checking out the recipes helps so much...
I know that I can keep going and going, but so far these are the main things I can think of why I love spark people!!
so what do you love of Spark people?!?!?
Friday, August 29, 2008
I love the idea of getting a shake on the go specially for breakfast which was when I was having a slim fast shake. I am always in a hurry. But I always managed to make breakfast for my hubby before running off to work with my shake.
So, I figured, if I can make him breakfast then I will just have to wake up 2o minutes earlier to get REAL breakfast for myself. I want to learn how to eat right.
So..buh bye slim fast for me. unless its a total emergency of time!
Tomorrow I start with real food...I miss my eggs!
BTW... I'm a little disappointed because I haven't lost weight. I do feel great because I've been meeting my workout goals but I see no difference in the scale. And I've been eating really good too. BUT I WONT GIVE UP. NOT THIS TIME. I AM HERE TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT I SET MYSELF TO.
Get An Email Alert Each Time MARIELAMS Posts