Sunday, April 08, 2012
1. My parents told me…That the most important thing a father could do for his children was to love their mother. (Boy did he! And I married a guy who loves his kids mom, too!)
2. I wanted to grow up to be a....Puppeteer for Jim Henson's muppets. I was scared and never pursued it. It seemed like too big of a dream
3. I refused to eat…spinach. But I like now if it is something like sauce or dip or salad but not just creamed or by itself.
4. My favorite thing to do outside was…. Ride my horse. My sister and I had 4 friends and we all had horses. we were half a dozen of the biggest bundle of trouble and man, did he have fun!!!! (still best friends with one of the girls since were 9 years old!)
5. I broke my…ribs falling off my horse and broke my ankle riding another horse.
6. I liked to wear…ditto brand jeans (cause they made my butt look good), bikini tops underneath overalls and I liked to wear my hair feathered like Farrah Fawcett. (ok you guys, this was the 70's!)
7. My parents always…loved each other and were not afraid to show it. They took "naps" on saturdays and we understood that their relationship came first. I think that was really important. They also had friends over all the time, especially in the summer and I thought it was soo cool to have friends who would come spend the weekend with you even when you were grown up!
8. I thought that Santa was…real. I didnt believe for a long time but when I was 25, I met the real santa in a KMART. He looked right at me, smiled and said, "I remember you". I broke down crying because I knew he really did. I still tear up when I think about it!
9. My favorite cartoon was...Coyote and roadrunner. Man, that never got old and ACME? Come on, what a fantastic company!!
10. I was the…funny one. Also, I was the cute one. I was also the crazy one. hmmmmmmmm, somethings never change! HA!
11. I got in trouble when…I cut school which was ALL THE TIME!!!!!
12. My bedroom was…no big deal.
13. My favorite food was…anything my mom made but especially her tamale pie...OMG!
14. My parents always made me…cook and clean. My mom and dad both worked so by the time I was 12, my sister and I did all of it. I do not remember feeling resentful. It was just up to us to do our part. Plus we didnt want to wait to eat for an hour after my mom got home.
15. My first crush was… Clark Gable as Rhett Butler and Gordon MacCrae who was Curly from the Original OKLAHOMA movie...sigh....
16. My favorite toy was…my horse!
17. I thought school was…pure torture and since I knew everything already, why did I have to go?????
18. My biggest fear was…something happening to someone in my family. Well, that came true. And I survived.
19. My favorite story was…family stories of when so and so met or when my mom and aunt went out one night, or when my dad came back from the navy and stole my mom away from her fiance or the hometown they grew up (where I still go to visit).
20. My favorite memories…After I grew up, going back to my mom and dad's house for a BBQ or a party or christmas. Walking in the door and seeing my mom's smile or my dad's excitement over us being there. Eating a bunch of food and the crazy, loud noise and laughter. Having a pool party with friends, dogs and family. Christmas presents that went on for hours and of course, that "one last present" which was always outside like a bike or a drum set or something so fabulous for someone. It was the laughter, the tears, laughing at each other because we were crying over a card, teasing, bickering, the gossiping and sideways looks when someone brought a new girl into the family and we knew she wouldnt last, cooing over a new baby or a new puppy. God, just surrounded by warmth and love and family and complete acceptance. It made me who I am today and I try to recreate that all the time.