Tuesday, January 25, 2011
So the other day a strange thing happened to me. I haven't had ice cream in months. I wanted chocolate ice cream from Bruster's. I didn't just want it, this was definitely craving and nothing else was going to satisfy that sweet tooth.
So hubby and I piled the family in the car. (Hubby is down 30 lbs so he would have been fine if we hadn't gone to get it). Long story short, there's no words to describe how disappointed I was with the ice cream. I'd been craving this smooth creamy flavor and it didn't taste anything like I remembered. After about 5 licks (you know, I had to really test it first), I threw the cone away.
I wonder if it wasn't what I expected because I eat so differently than I did when I last had ice cream. Who knows, maybe it was because I knew there was no comfort in it. All I know is, next time, I'm not even going to mess with a disappointing visit for ice cream, but instead break off a small piece of dark chocolate just to satisfy -- but I'll melt it and dip my banana in it. Definitely more satisfying!
Saturday, January 15, 2011
I'm not sure if it's the weather, or that I'm tired, or who knows maybe beginning to fight some sort of bug (didn't feel so hot this morning)....whatever it is, I just feel blah. That's never a good day for me. I tend to not want to plan for focus and often end up being discouraged by the outcome.
Instead of just accepting that today, I am still trying to focus. I planned out the next 3 family dinners. All ingredients are acquired. Fortunately, everything is easy enough that I don't need to do any advance cooking.
I really want to park my butt on the couch and catch up on some tv. I have been productive in that all the laundry, dishes and cleaning are caught up. However, I know I still need to get my exercise in today. One of the kids has a fever so I won't be heading to the gym. Just need to figure out which work out: Zumba + free weights, Biggest Loser Boot Camp or Jackie Warner's Extreme TimeSaving (this one is tough!)
How do you power through a day of the blahs?
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Today was another snow day. As much as I loved being home, 2 days of being trapped because of snow and ice isn't fun. It's also looking to be another day like that tomorrow. Yuck!
One thing that's really been great is having extra time for food prep so I can sneak extra veggies in to meals. (more veggies is one of my goals for the family). I do a bunch on the weekend, but midweek I start to need more and often get home where doing a large batch during the week is a challenge.
Anyway, they asked for spaghetti so they got it! I used Muir Glen Organic Chunky Tomato & Herb Sauce with some added spinach, shredded carrot, mushrooms. If I'd had any bell pepper that would have been in there too. I loved it when my 5 year old said it was her favorite sauce ever!
I must say, my kids really are troopers when it comes to eating things, or trying things. Because of the whole gluten free thing, our pasta is either Quinoa pasta or brown rice pasta.
Their favorite snack this week has been the big batch of fruit salad I made up
Because of the weather, it looks like I'll be working from home again tomorrow. Wondering what else I can get sneaky with -- forgot I have some zucchini in the fridge. Hmm...any suggestions?
Monday, January 10, 2011
With the new year, it's been time to sit down and evaluate my goals again. I spent some time thinking about things that work well for me and things that don't.
1. Track my nutrition: I'm not always great about entering it online. I use a food journal (yes, actual paper) and find I'm much more consistent. The fact that I'm on WW again helps me. Love the new Points Plus program because it takes more in to consideration than it has in the past.
2. Consistent fitness program: Last year as I was training for the 3-Day, I became very "unbalanced" with my fitness program. I definitely slacked on my strength training and didn't have quite the variety I would like. I must admit, I was also burnt out after the walk. I pretty much completely slacked on everything between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I now have a strength training rotation plan. I'm also making a change to my cardio because for the longest time I was so focused there. Right now, I'm keeping it to 30 - 40 min and am mixing up the variety of activities and intensities to keep it more interesting.
3. Improve my 5k Personal Record: My running endurance sucks right now after so many months of walking. I have a few running goals, but if I had to rank them, this is my top. 5Ks are nice short distances that don't force me to get so focused on the one goal that I lose my balance.
4. Run a 10K. Bottom line, I've never run one. I've done the half, 5k, but never run an official 10k race. I don't care about time on this, just want to do it. Thinking it would be great to get in to the Peachtree.
5. Disney Half Marathon: Still my goal since I missed it this past weekend. This is the one half I've always wanted to do. I'm ok if it doesn't happen, but it would be fun. I definitely want to improve my 5k time first though.
6. Better job of blogging. I work with computers all day so blogging daily feels like a chore because of how much time I spend online. Once a week is my target. Realistic and doable. I realize how important the community aspect is in helping to reach goals and this is one way.
Those are the highlights of my personal goals. I have some family related goals. I'll share those in my next blog.
Saturday, September 11, 2010
Time to hold myself accountable with measurements again.
Weight is up 1.8 lbs since last month's measurements.
Waist is down 1" since last month.
Abdomen down .5" since last month
Hips down .5" since Aug
Arm down .25" in since last month
No change in thigh
Calf down 1"
Get An Email Alert Each Time MAKINACHANGE4ME Posts