Friday, September 02, 2011
So...I haven't been round these parts in months! Some I'll attribute to moving, new job, new state, new friends, new boy...etc. Some is just laziness, though. I've been tracking cals on myfitnesspal (I like how it works on my phone much more than the clunky spark app), and joined a crossfit gym about two months ago (and do talk about that on twitter sometimes). So, I thought I had enough going on...
But I'm enjoying the food + drink of my new town waaaay too much :) And there has been mucho mucho alcohol in the past couple months, especially beer. BB would be so proud though, it's almost all microbrew AND I've even been helping folks homebrew (bottling wench, basically). And then, of course, drinking said beer. I've gained almost 5 pounds (and I'm petite, so that's more than it sounds like). I'd love to attribute that to being a consistent crossfitter and gaining muscle, but I'm not going to BS myself (or you) - it's mostly fat.
I realize a big problem is that while my real life friends are awesome, they are soooo disinterested in my food and fitness. My level of interest in it registers as disordered, I think mostly bc it makes them feel bad about their own habits, but also bc it really is probably boring. SEE: www.someecards.com/confession-cards/
So I'm realizing I am missing something important by skipping out on spark...talking about nutrition and exercise with you smart, dedicated folks. So, I'm going to have to see if I'm 'back' for real, but I clearly ought to be. Hi again, everyone!
Monday, April 25, 2011
umm, yikes. The first day that I showed after on-ramp was, surprise, a qualifying workout for the 2011 Crossfit Games. (no. 4, for those following the games). So...it wasn't the easiest day ever. 20 min, as many rounds as possible, 5 power cleans, 10 toe-to-bars, and 15 wallballs.
I don't even remember what the Rx-ed weight for the cleans was, I only used about 45#...prob could have lifted higher, but I was struggling to think through the movements still and figured getting the lift right mattered more for my first class. My toes-to-bar were AWFUL! I totally thought I had this movement, but I actually only got a few the entire time...most were just attempts. Lots of core work was recommended to me, but really it was the burning of my hands on the pull-up bar that killed me. Chalk isn't enough, I need some serious callouses, and I need em now! The final movement was okay...I'm not great at wallballs and only used 10# (14# prescribed), but the fact we only had to get them to 9' helped.
20 min was utterly exhausting. For a nice contrast, we have a simple strength session today, just back squat upon back squat (sets, rests etc...normal lifting). Excited to see how I do with back squats when forced to go down crossfit-deep!
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Long time no blog...In short, I'm struggling with my nutrition (cals are fine, but carbs remain out of control, and way more faileo than paleo) but rocking the fitness. Trying to buy a bike (some car problems have made this, ironically, difficult), found a place to live when I move to Virginia in a couple months, and am doing okay at my work though not on full concentration...so much going on gets real distracting real quick.
But most important is that I'm on my third and final week of Crossfit On Ramp! I can't believe it...by Friday I'm supposed to be taking classes with the big boys and girls, so scary. Even knowing I can scale everything, it still feels like a huge step.
Still, I have done some amazing stuff in CF these past two weeks - learned deadlifts, jerks, push-presses, and all kinds of power moves. Have once again been demoted to knee push-ups till I can get my chest to TOUCH every rep. Moved to a smaller pull up band, developed some ugly ugly callouses/tears (which I kind of adore). Can normally do my 16" box jumps even though I still get unnecessarily freaked out. Can do toes-to-bar, modified handstand push-ups, and am working hard on getting my back in good position.
There is nothing like dipping your hands in a chalk bucket, or even just being allowed to trade your PVC pipe for an empty barbell, to make you feel AWESOME. This week is all Oly lift training, which I'm so excited about. And then...to the big boys+girls club.
Monday, April 04, 2011
1) traveling, again. It's my middle name this year. But it is almost over, and actually I'm in DC which is my favorite place to travel. And since I'm here a couple months I get to settle in a bit.
2) MOVING. Just south of the Mason-Dixon, in July. Sudden, for sure. And it is only for a year - then I get to move again! But at least I'm not traveling next year. I'll be in a new place, but I'll get to stay in the new place. Kinda scary, but kinda exciting.
3) The fitness opportunities of my new locale, incidentally, are way exciting. There is a decent looking crossfit and an mma gym (so I'll have to pick, yikes, but no fuss this second). AND the apt I think I'm taking comes with access to a pool. Since I'll be there mid-July, I have some serious clean (i.e. semi-paleo for me, or, health food without bread and legumes or something) eating to commit to. I feel pretty confident in a 1 piece, but I dream of feeling confident in a (sporty) two piece.
4) In the mean time...CROSSFIT. I am signed up for the two months I'm here, first with 3 weeks of on ramp (starting tomorrow) then integrating into regular classes, dang. While I take on ramp (only 2x a week) I also have access to all the basic/groupon classes they offer, so I'm going tonight! And they post the workouts so I get to go in fearing the many box jumps to come.
5) Also, as my status says, signed up for an intro to riding a bike class.....woo! Yeah, I can't ride. And as someone who now lives in one idyllic college town after another, this would be a real good skill to have. Plus one of my housemates is psycho about cycling, going out every day, blogging about races, etc. So if I can get riding I'll have a cool support system (well, if I buy a bike...going to have to mull over that expense a bit with the move looming)....
Woo, much good stuff, some scary and some new, but i'm off...
Friday, March 11, 2011
Well, it is after 4 and my 'paleo-lite' day is perfect so far, a rarity for me. Yay.
I'm blogging to figure out a little opportunity that has come my way. At the end of the month, a local veterans group is holding a half-murph crossfit workout to raise money for a memorial for soldiers from penn state, incl grad lt Michael Murphy who was tragically killed in Afghanistan in 2005. www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WO
I want to participate in it to support the cause, as well as for - I'll confess - the workout challenge.
The full murph (not even an option at this event, there isn't even a local cf affiliate training people so few would be prepared) is:
- 1 mile run
- 100 pull-ups
- 200 push-ups
- 300 bw squats
- 1 mile run
ALL while wearing a 20lb weighted vest. Ouch.
The half-murph is what I'm looking at:
- 1 mile run
- 50 pull-ups
- 100 push-ups
- 150 bw squats
- 1 mile run
They are also offering a mini-murph:
- 1 mile run
- low crawl (???)
- obstacle course (???)
- 1 mile run
Since the mystery of mini-murph stresses me out, I'm looking at the half. As long as I can use my bands (just ordered 2 days ago from Iron Woody, better ship soon! www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-ban
ds.php ) and a stool to get up, I can do the pull-ups. Push-ups and body weight squats I can do as is, though it will hurt. Really, running is my big fear here - I know it is just a mile (twice) but I HATE running and only ever do HIIT sprints.
I'm doing conditioning rounds 1-on-1 w/ a kbox friend tonight, and then will try to eek out a treadmill mile on some incline, while good and tired. Sadly, I will need some running practice to get into this one. And I'd need a little running outside practice too, ugh - I find that crazy hard. I don't mind being slow, just don't want to be embarrassed - if it'll be real bad I'm better off just writing them a check and cheering from the sidelines.
The sidelines aren't my style, but this might be too much...thoughts?
Get An Email Alert Each Time MABELPIE Posts