Friday, January 01, 2010
I got this article from an online subscription and I am not sure of number 6 because this doctor is trying to sell his protein whey powder which I took out his sales pitch. The rest is true I’m sure.
Whatever your New Year’s Resolution for 2010 – here are six tips to make your New Year’s Resolution more ‘sticky’ – which will greatly increase your odds of success.
1. Write it down! You’re much more likely to fulfill your goal of losing, say, 20 pounds, exercising more, and eating healthier foods if you put it in writing. Better yet, post your written resolution on your bathroom mirror, refrigerator, or some other prominent, frequently visited location where you’ll be reminded of it often.
2. Your goals should be specific, quantifiable, and measurable. Otherwise you have no way to assess whether you hit your goal.
For instance, from #1 above, what exactly does ‘exercising more’ mean? Or ‘eating healthier foods’? Put some traction on your goals by defining what specifically you’re trying to accomplish. You could set your exercise goal as a 30-minute power walk three days per week. That’s specific and measurable. As for ‘eating healthier foods’… how about adding one more veggie than you’re currently doing for lunch and dinner? Define what that number is for you. You get the idea…
3. Get an accountability partner. It could be a spouse, friend, sibling, or even a son or daughter. Make a weekly appointment time to check in together and see how you are progressing on your set goals.
The accountability partner should be someone you respect and admire and with whom you’ll be honest about how it’s going – and not offended that they’re even asking.
4. Set intermediate steps for big goals. If your goal is to lose 50 pounds, define when you could realistically lose it, and then set a goal for each week and month as road marks along the way. You’ll be encouraged by the progress. And success breeds success.
5. Schedule time to meet your goals. Write your exercise times into your planner. List your trips to the farmer’s market or wherever you plan to buy your veggies into your planner… so they become part of your schedule and therefore part of your lifestyle.
6. Feed you body proteins every day and rebuild muscle after working out. Some great sources of high- quality protein are poultry, beef, eggs, nuts, beans and legumes.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
TWAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING,
BUT I JUST COULDN'T SLEEP.
I TRIED COUNTING BACKWARDS,
I TRIED COUNTING SHEEP.
THE LEFTOVERS BECKONED -
THE DARK MEAT AND WHITE,
BUT I FOUGHT THE TEMPTATION
WITH ALL OF MY MIGHT.
TOSSING AND TURNING WITH ANTICIPATION,
THE THOUGHT OF A SNACK BECAME INFATUATION.
SO, I RACED TO THE KITCHEN, FLUNG OPEN THE DOOR,
AND GAZED AT THE FRIDGE, FULL OF GOODIES GALORE.
GOBBLED UP TURKEY AND BUTTERED POTATOES,
PICKLES AND CARROTS, BEANS AND TOMATOES.
I FELT MYSELF SWELLING SO PLUMP AND SO ROUND,
'TIL ALL OF A SUDDEN, I ROSE OFF THE GROUND.
I CRASHED THROUGH THE CEILING, FLOATING INTO THE SKY,
WITH A MOUTHFUL OF PUDDING AND A HANDFUL OF PIE.
BUT, I MANAGED TO YELL AS I SOARED PAST THE TREES....
HAPPY EATING TO ALL - PASS THE CRANBERRIES, PLEASE.
MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY,
MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP.
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS.
MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS!!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL
Saturday, November 14, 2009
NOV 15 -1 Year Sparkversary
I remember dieting all my life and within two weeks going OFF the diet. This road has been different. I can’t explain why, except that logging what I eat every day keeps me on track. My main concern when I started this new lifestyle was to be healthy and not become diabetic which runs in my family When I first started with Spark, I logged everything BEFORE I ate it and knew how many calories I had left or was over, and could adjust before the day ended. As I started losing weight it was exciting to see how much each week I could lose and then that kept me going.
As I surfed through the Spark pages I found and joined Sparks Biggest Loser winter challenge (Cranberry Team – love them) and my competitiveness kicked in and I won the 10 week challenge with a weight loss of 20 pounds. I joined the same team for Spring BL losing 16.4 pounds and then Summer BL losing 8 pounds each in a 10 week period.
I took one day at a time. I knew the days seem to fly by so I told myself if I can just make it through TODAY. Some days I went to bed early just so I wouldn’t eat any more but it worked. In three months I wasn’t obese anymore. In 5 month I reached the goal I had set of losing 55 pounds but realized that according to my BMI I was still overweight and needed to lose 8 more pounds. I have now lost 65 pounds and have been in my healthy BMI since July 21st.
Maintenance is not easy! There have been days that I just had cake for supper and days that I still eat a box of cookies at one sitting, but I know that if that happens I just have to say “tomorrow will be a better day” and stick to it. I make sure I always have carrots, celery, cucs, fruit, and any healthy foods to snack on. I also have to remove all sweets because that is my downfall.
I have to say, healthy was my main objective but fitting in a size 8 and looking nice in your clothes is such a great feeling. Before losing weight I never wanted to go anywhere with my friends when I was asked because I didn’t look good in anything I put on. Now I dress up every day, and love it.
I have also realized a lot of things I am able to do now that I have lost weight
• I can cross my legs (this was the main reason I wanted to lose weight)
• I can do 45 min on treadmill 4.0 speed and 15 incline
• I don’t snore (as loud) (as much)
• I can wear pants without elastic in waist
• I love being in pictures
• I will go anywhere when someone asks
• I like looking in the mirror now
• I can grab my foot in back of me doing stretches without the use of a chair or wall
• I like ironing my clothes so they look crisp (I haven’t ironed in years)
• I can give myself a pedicure without my stomach in the way
• I can prepare meals and put them on the table without eating half of it before sitting down.
• I can say “No chips please” when we go to a Mexican restaurant.
The most important thing I realized after losing weight and showing my closest friends and the people that loved me, my before and after photos..... They all said they didn't remember me EVER looking like that. People see the person you are INSIDE not outside. They love you for who you ARE and not the person YOU see in the mirror. I wanted to lose weight to be healthy and feel more confident in clothes that fit me better. With that done, it made ME feel better. I really don't think anybody cared if I lost the weight. I think they are happy ONLY because now I am a happier person…. And I am REALLY happy.
When I first started with Spark I was so inspired by all the people who lost weight and showed their before and after photos never thinking I would be one of those people one day. On Aug, 18, 2009 you all voted to make me a Spark People motivator and that has made me more aware and focused to maintain my healthy weight. I have welcomed hundreds of people since and realize that they need to see it CAN be done if you just want it bad enough.
Thank you SPARKPEOPLE and all my spark friends and supporters!
Friday, July 03, 2009
I didn’t make it to LA spark rally with SparkGuy but I did make it to the Botanical Gardens in South Buffalo where I met up with two other Sparkers from my team “Buffalo Gals” for a walk. It was so nice to put faces with the people you converse with in the spark threads.
We wore our shirts and I asked someone to take a photo of us. Left to right… Claudia, Jamie and myself walked for an hour which not only did I show my support for spark for the weekend but our challenge for the biggest loser this week was to hike an hour and blog about it. So our team will now get a point for that too.
The weather was beautiful, the company was great and I hope we get to do it again with more members of the team. My goal is to meet as many of my team as possible before the summer is over because I will be heading back to Arizona where I spend the winter.
Get An Email Alert Each Time LUCYSMOM09 Posts