Wednesday, July 28, 2010
So this morning I woke up at 4:30 AM. Now I typically sleep until 6:30, 7:00. Sometimes I do get up at 6 a.m. if I want to get a morning workout in. But 4:30? This was just ridiculous. I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't. I've never gone to my gym before work, it's just always seemed easier to workout at home if I am going to work out in the a.m. But...the kids were asleep, my husband was asleep, and today was my running day. Today was the day I was going to finish Week 8 of C25K.
In my sleepy state I briefly thought that perhaps I should go to the gym. I quickly swatted that idea away, willing my body and mind to please, please, GO BACK to SLEEP.
But God had other plans for me this morning. I realized that if I got my morning run in I could spend some much needed time with my wonderful husband and kids. I could go straight home from work, something I haven't done on a Wednesday for a long time.
So, after about 30 minutes of staring at the wall, up I went, into the shower (yes, I know only to shower again, but I couldn't go to the club looking like I did, my hair is like a porcupine when I wake up in the morning).
I left hubby a post it note on the computer that simply said "Be back soon, honey. Went out running." (And felt like such a cool athlete just WRITING that!)
I was at the gym by 5:45 a.m.
But I DID IT.
I DID IT with the other committed, hard-bodied runners at my gym.
I DID IT among the pack of boot camp gym rats who whooshed past me at an alarmingly fast speed.
I DID IT even though I hadn't had my morning coffee.
I DID IT although after 5 minutes I could tell it was going to be a hard run for me.
I DID IT although my shuffle kept giggling against me and the cords kept falling out of my ears.
I DID IT even though I am bloated in my mid-section right now thanks to that time of month and felt like I was running with a tire around my belly.
I DID IT even though I'd rather be sleeping.
And I realized that I LOVE THIS.
I love the arm sweat, the face sweat, the feel of the soft track under my feet, the many windows around the track with the first signs of morning movement, birds, sky, grass.
I also discovered that running around the track at 5 a.m. is a good natural blow-dryer for my hair.
I finished my 28 minute run (the last day of Week 8!!) with a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down, stretched, showered and was home by 7 to make breakfast for my family and relax before work.
It's been a great morning!
Now onto work.
I'll leave you with my favorite lyrics of the day, courtesy of Missy Elliot from her song "Lose Control" feat. Ciara and Fatman Scoop.
"I’ve got a cute face
Thick legs in shape
Rump shakin both ways
Make you do a double-take
Planet rocka show stoppa
Flow proppa head knocka
Beat spalla tail droppa
Do ma thang..."
Thursday, July 22, 2010
The past 3 months I have reached 1,000 fitness minutes and this month I've been so busy with work that at the end of the month, on 7/22, I only have 290 minutes under my belt. There is a challenge at the DONE Girls team to reach 1,000 fitness minutes and I initially thought, oh, well, not gonna make it, it's too late.
But then I thought. Could I do it?
I decided that I CAN get to 1,000 fitness minutes in July, although at this point, on July 22nd, I only have a piddly 290 minutes.
Here's how I'm gonna do it:
I am going to plan on walking or going on long bike rides with my family, either all together or a combination of minutes, to equal an average of 2 hrs. on Saturday, 7/24, Sunday, 7/25 and Saturday, 7/31. This equals a total of 360 minutes., which combined with my existing 290 minutes is 650 minutes.
Then my C25K workouts equal 40 minutes each. I'm going to do that on Friday, 7/23, Monday, 7/26, Wednesday, 7/28 and Friday, 7/30. This equals a total of 160 minutes, bringing my total up to 810 minutes for the month.
So 810 minutes minus 1,000 equals 190 minutes left to reach my goal. I have 3 remaining days that aren't slotted for my family outings/exercise or C25K.
So 190/3 = 63 minutes a day for the 3 remaining days.
To fill this time I plan to do Jillian Michael's The Shred (20 minutes) in the morning, and then walk 3 miles with Leslie (43 minutes) at night. Or vice versa, but either way, it's gonna get done!
The hard part is going to be today - since I've already obviously missed the morning workout I'm going to need to get a good hour (and 3 minutes) in. I may do a long hourish Leslie tape, not sure I can do both The Shred AND walk 3 miles all in the same sitting. Plus I have a class tonight and need to clean for an out of town guest, so time will be at a premium.
Whew! Let's see if I can reach this goal!!
Thursday, July 08, 2010
So...as some of you may know I've been in and out of a plateau. I've been doing everything right, exercising, tracking, etc.
I am actually an avid food tracker, but for some reason when I track my popcorn I've just been using SparkPeople's nutrition information for "oil-popped popcorn". Probably because I was too lazy to measure and figure out how many calories my homemade popcorn is.
Well...I have a sneaky feeling that perhaps THIS may be the culprit (or one of them) that is keeping me from moving lower on the scale. So tonight I measured and calculated, and....
SparkPeople's is 55 calories a cup.
Mine is DOUBLE that at 95 calories a cup.
I have popcorn twice a week. Ok, sometimes three times a week.
It's my guilty pleasure!
I always track it, but now I see that I'm hurting myself by calculating it as less than what it is.
Plus I add salt. Which holds onto weight.
From now on, I will only have popcorn ONCE a week. And I will track it accordingly.
I may try for only TWICE a month. We'll see how it goes and if I suffer from withdrawal.
And I'm going to look for recipes for lower calorie popcorn. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!
Tuesday, July 06, 2010
Start weight: 236
End weight: 234
Weight lost: 2 lbs.
Weight lost since the beginning of the year: 23.5 lbs.
Total weight lost: 64 lbs.
Fitness minutes: 1,050 – I reached the 1,000 minutes mark again this month!!
Miles: 48 miles, up from 43 miles last month.
Plateau – I broke through my “siesta”!
2 inches off my hips!
Grade for the month: B+. My goal was to lose 4-6 lbs., and I only lost 2 due to my “siesta”. I couldn’t give myself an A for that, although my non-scale victories and fitness accomplishments do outweigh the weight.
• I ran my first 5K! (details in blog)
• I am on week 7 of C25K and can run for 25 minutes straight!
• Incorporated strength training into my program and feel stronger!
• I actually want to work out and run, and FIGHT to do it. I make sure I leave work on time, and am firm w/ my husband. Of course I want to go home to my family, but 2-3 days a week doesn’t kill them to lose me for an hour.
• We had Totino’s Pizza one night because it was just “that” kind of night and I only had half, and I added broccoli and carrots to the top of it to make it healthier!
• My husband told me that my legs were getting “boney”
• The t-shirt size I requested at the 5k was sold out (2x, the size I was when I registered for it), so I was given an XL – and it fit PERFECTly!
• I won’t eat a sandwich unless it has spinach on it – lots of spinach!
• I was able to fit back into a size MEDIUM shirt that my best friend gave me over 10 yrs. ago!
• I broke through a plateau, ahem, I mean PARTY, SIESTA, FOREVER!
• Have had numerous compliments! My husband said to me one morning “Man, you are lookin’ skinny!”
• I realized I hadn’t updated my heart rate monitor since I purchased it and went to update my weight and I had lost 20 lbs. since purchasing the monitor (for my 40 lbs. lost reward) at the beginning of 2010.
• There was sweat on my shirt after working out – I’m not an easy “sweater”, so to me this is a victory!
• I am putting myself first. I can’t be there for my family if I am obese and unhealthy. The reward will pay off later.
• But I am learning to savor all of the small moments, holding my daughter, dancing the baby, it all counts and it’s all good!
• I realized that I’ve lost the equivalent of two of my 3 yr. old daughter! 64 lbs., baby!
• I’m starting to lose my double chin and see “chin bones”
• My feet are getting a smaller! I don’t need a wide width anymore and have gone down ˝ a size.
• Better sex
• I bought a size Large dress because it was on sale, didn’t try it on until I got home, and it FITS! I could wear it now!
• Started the Shred by Jillian Michaels. I bought it before I got pregnant with my second daughter and have been too intimidated to start them back up again.
• I wore a sleeveless shirt to work on casual Friday, and I brought a shrug to wear over my shirt – now usually I would have worn the shrug IN the car, coming OUT of the car and through the lobby, into the elevator, going to work because I don’t like showing my arms, despite the fact that it is 90 degrees and humid out. But this day I left my shrug in my purse and didn’t put it on until after I was at my desk, I walked to the kitchen, put my lunch away, my co-workers saw me and I was NOT embarrassed, insecure or in any way uncomfortable!
• I had to return a dress that was a size 18 and get the 16 instead.
• I packed a “healthy bag” for my vacation and snacked only on healthy foods and also worked out while on vacation.
• I bought the most comfortable, cutest dress and on a 92 degree day, I wore it to work. (I never wear dresses or skirts for that matter to work). One of my co-workers and good friend was gushing about how great I looked and even snapped a picture of me. She, who is a fitness trainer and very fit, said she was jealous of me and wanted to go home and change!
A picture of me in the green dress that my co-worker and friend took of me.
Get An Email Alert Each Time LOTUSFLOWER Posts