Wednesday, March 03, 2010
I wanted to share something that is working for me with portion control and weight loss, and getting my veggies in.
This month I’ve instilled a few new self-imposed “rules”
1. I will not eat any snacks such as chips, pretzels, etc. until I’ve eaten my fruits/veggies for the day. I’ve consumed less calories and sodium this way, and I’ve found that once I get my fruits and veggies in, I am no longer hungry for the chips.
2. At lunch I typically bring a sandwich to work. I am always full about halfway through, but tend to eat the rest of the sandwich “anyway”, since I’ve tracked it, etc. Well, now that is just silly. So now what I do is I only eat HALF. I put the other half in the fridge. Then later, around 3 p.m. when I would typically reach for the chips, I will go get the other half of the sandwich and eat it. This has really helped me stay within my calorie range.
3. With my sandwich I eat a side of carrots with the sandwich instead of chips (see #1 above). Now I am not a carrot fan, per se, but I know how healthy they are. So my trick to eat them is to dip them into a wedge of Light Laughing Cow Cheese. I believe it’s only 35 calories for the wedge, and it helps me to eat my carrots!
4. Move EVERY day. Even if it’s only for 10 minutes. I have been looking for ways to incorporate movement now into my day, even if it isn’t a “scheduled”, “official” workout. I tend to be a black and white thinker, and if it doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t count. Well, again, that’s just silly. For example, the other night I danced around the house holding my 6 month old daughter and got a great 10 minute cardio workout in, and she loved it! Today I am going to walk to Starbucks on my lunch and get some writing done (killing two birds with one stone).
5. Be easy on myself. I am NOT going to beat myself up if I maintain one week, or ONLY lose 1 lb. or 1 ˝ lbs. one week. I am going to keep going forward and not look back.
6. Just added - Take my Lunch! I usually work through lunch and then work late, and it's really taking a toll on my family and on me. I am a writer in my spare time, and I walked today to the coffee shop and wrote and it felt great! I need to remember this and claim my time as my own! I encourage you all to do the same, whatever it may be.
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
MOVE IT, MOVE IT!!
Below is my March Move It! Plan (to be altered as needed). I also posted it on my SparkPage, but I thought a monthly blog of my actions would help keep me accountable.
Let's all MOVE IT this March!! March to the beat of your own drum!!
MARCH MOVEMENT PLAN:
Cardio 4x a week
Strength training 2x
Every day- at least 1 mile w/ Leslie or 10 minutes of cardio. In addition to that, strive for:
Sat: Core Commotion or Aqua class
Sun: Track or bike
Tues: Ultimate Conditioning or Aqua class
Wed: Strength (if I don't go to Ultimate Conditioning)
Fri: NIA (If I can go at lunch)
One aqua aerobics class per wk.
I will also be walking/running my first 8K this month!! Training for that as best I can.
Try to get up from my desk job once every hour and walk for 5-10 minutes. Also in nice weather walk next door to Starbucks to write.
Monday, March 01, 2010
Weight lost: 5.5 lbs.
Weight lost since the beginning of the year: 10 lbs.
Fitness minutes: 460 (vs. 1,030 in January)
Miles: 30 miles (vs. 66 in January)
Measurements: No change
I reached a milestone of 50 lbs. GONE!
I am out of plus size clothes
I fit into my "skinny" size 18 jeans I bought, thinking I could wear them in Spring.
Looking at my February calendar I know that I slacked off this month. (The pink represents the "good", the X's the days I didn't meet my goals). All last week I didn't workout due to my busy schedule, but I know that is an excuse. I could have made time in the morning or at night, and I didn't. We were planning for a family party and therefore I was running errands on lunches and after work and was exhausted at night, but still, I feel I could have done better. I would grade myself at a C+, B- for the month.
My goals were in 4 categories: water, exercise, stay within calorie range, and eat fruits/veggies.
My goals for March are:
1. Lose 8-10 lbs.
2. Train for the 8k I'm signed up for so that I can run part of it and finish within the time allotted (a little over an hour).
3. Run/Walk 8k (Shamrock Shuffle)
4. Have 1,000 fitness minutes again in March. I did it in January, I can do it again.
5. Work out EVERY day even if it is only for 10 minutes.
6. Balance my life - family, writing and work. Take my breaks at work, or at least my lunch. Get out of the office and write. Leave at 5 sharp to get home to the family. No more staying until 5:30, 6 or beyond. Claim back my life.
PROGRESS PHOTOS (from January 1, 2010 to March 1, 2010. There isn't much visible change from February to March)
Monday, February 08, 2010
We went away this weekend to our cottage in Michigan and we had so much fun. There are four little kids in the family now, my two girls (3 yrs. and 6 mo.) and my two nephews (2 yrs. and 8 mo.). My daughter just started sledding this year and my nephew had never been before. In the backyard of the cottage there is a small hill. We all decided to try it out and got out some blow up sleds we had brought. My nephew had a blast, and so did my daughter. But the people who had the most fun, I think, were the grownups! All the men in the family were trying to outdo each other, and trying to make it to the ice, and the girls were also having fun. Grandpa even got into it! It made me realize that before I had kids I would never have thought to go sledding again, it's been at least 20 yrs. since I've gone. I also realized that last year I would never have had as much energy as this year, going up and down the hill, running after the kids, jumping on the sled. It was just exhilarating and I was so thankful to God for this body he's given me, no matter how imperfect it is now, and for my beautiful children and for my young-at-heart husband and for my family!
AND and as added bonus - sledding is in the fitness tracker AND for 30 minutes of sledding you burn an average of 413 calories!!! That's almost twice as much as me doing 3 miles w/ Leslie Sansone for 35 minutes (I burn about 275 calories for that).
Thank you Lord!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time LOTUSFLOWER Posts