Saturday, January 16, 2010
spicy sausage, red wine and fire-roasted tomatoes come together in this ragout-like sauce. Truly hearty and satisfying.
Points value ~ 5 per serving
cooking time ~ 25 minutes
Difficulty ~ Easy
Serves ~ 6
1/2 pound raw turkey sausage, italian style, casings removed
2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
2 medium yellow peppers, cut into 2 inch long thin strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 tbls minced garlic
28oz canned crushed tomatoes, fire roasted
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
8 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, fusilli
1/3 cup basil, fresh, chopped
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil
2. meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes, remove to a plate.
3. Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring freqently, until vegtetables are lightly colored and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
4. add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegtables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
5. while sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat.
Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.