LOBOSMOMMA's Recent Blog Entries

It's Me Again, Margaret

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Ah yes, I know. I keep saying I'm going to stay on track this time. I'm like a broken record. I seem to keep finding excuses. It's been a few months since I've last posted. I really haven't been on here at all either. So, here's an update.

I got laid off my job at the end of June. I'm still looking for another job. Luckily I qualified for unemployment, but it's definitely not the income I was bringing in from my job. And I believe my benefit is about to run out. I did have a job lined up, until they sent me for a physical, and the nurse practitioner failed me because my pulse was high. I got that fixed and asked about going back, but the HR guy never got back with me. And yes, I followed up with him, several times.

Since I've been mostly staying at home, my schedule is completely out of whack. Most days I've been up all night, sleeping most of the day. I've been job searching and applying for a lot of jobs, but have only managed to get a phone interview or two so far, with the exception of the job I missed out on before. And of course, with the messed up sleep schedule, that has my eating habits all messed up again. Over the past few weeks, I've been trying to get myself back into a somewhat decent routine. As for the migraines, I think I'm finally making progress. I got put on yet another prescription medication for my pulse, and that actually seemed to help with my migraines. I've gone from having one practically every day, to one or two a week. And I finally got my referral from the VA to see a neurologist.

I saw her in mid September and I liked her instantly. She wasn't too happy when she saw how many medicines I'm on. She's already gotten me off one medication, and had me increase my newest medication because she agrees that's likely helping the migraines too. She had me increase my newest me, and when I see her next I think she'd mentioned decreasing another one. She doesn't want me to changed them all at once, because she wants to be able to target which change is actually working. I'm on several medicines to help with migraines and I was on several for high blood pressure. The new medicine helps with both. The goal is to get me off all of those and increase the newest medicine. She has also mentioned Botox if the other treatments don't work. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'll worry about that if and when it comes down to it! I go see her again next week, so we'll see.

So anyways that's what's been going on with me.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

GHOSTFLAMES 10/11/2014 5:09AM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOTTAMAMALOU 10/11/2014 4:00AM


Isn't it nice to have confidence in your NP? I like mine and rather have her than my PCP.

Let's hope you get on track with your routine and enjoy your days without migraines. They are not pleasant at all!

Take care of yourself.


Report Inappropriate Comment

Thyroid Testing

Monday, May 05, 2014

I've been a bit worried since I failed my physical for my new job due to my pulse being high *likely* due to my meds, as the NP put it. I emailed my VA doctor and explained the situation, and he told me to come in for lab testing and a holter monitor. I've been even more worried about the monitor, because to me that means: red flag! heart trouble! I went in for my lab tests this morning, and all that they tested for was thyroid. That actually settled my nerves a little to know. I was told to ask about the monitor, but they do not have them at the clinic I use. I had to call another clinic and make an appointment, and they are on a wait list. I called but the lady is supposed to call me back because a) she was busy, and b) she didn't see an order put in for me. We shall see how that goes.

Anywho, I've done a little research on hyperthyroidism, and I really won't be surprised if that's the culprit. I do have some of the other symptoms, and that would make more sense. I should know something within a few days. I honestly hope that's all it is since it seems to be easily treatable. The whole heart monitor thing really had me super worried. I think I still need to have it done, but until I get my test results back, I'm going to try not to worry about it anymore. *Just breathe.....*

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MZZCHIEF 5/5/2014 11:29AM

    Please wait for the results, don't drive yourself crazy with what ifs.... remember they're testing for "normal you" not "you all anxious bc you are wearing a holter monitor you"!

I have a similar situation with my blood pressure. When I test at home or at the YMCA its my normal low. At the doctor's or dentist's its up to 20 points higher. I'm not feeling anxious but apparently my body is. ha

Good luck!
: )

Report Inappropriate Comment

Soda Update

Thursday, May 01, 2014

Since starting back on Topamax for my migraines this past October, soda has not tasted very good at all to me, so it's made it much easier to break my Dew habit. I do admit to having a couple of slip ups last month, but I have no idea how I managed to drink them. They still taste nasty to me. That is still a tremendous improvement for me. That used to be my morning coffee. Still though, the few I had last month is all I've really had since October. I will not order them on the rare occasion that my husband and I go out to eat. I always order sweet tea. Which brings me to my next habit I'm working hard to break, or at least cut back on. I'm working on cutting back on the amount of sugar I put in my tea when I make it at home still. I don't know if I'll ever make it down to completely non-sweet tea, but I do intend to get it down to a much lower level than I have used for many years. It's so hard being a southern girl sometimes!


Wake-Up Call

Monday, April 28, 2014

Friday was my physical for my job I was supposed to start in a few weeks. My physical determined whether or not I had the job. I had a start date set and everything. But I didn't pass the physical. Why not? My pulse was too high. Not my high blood pressure that I'm being treated for as I was worried about. Something that I had absolutely no clue that was even a problem. So now my job is still looking like it's ending on June 30, and I'm back to the starting board for my job search. Like I really need MORE stress if my pulse is running high now, right? Ahh!!!

So anyways... I had a drug test and passed. Several different types of vision tests and passed all those. Even had a tiny sound booth and gave me a hearing test and I passed that. The nurse practitioner then called me back to examine me. My blood pressure was actually good, for a change. Yay! My VA doctor finally got me on the medicine combination that works best for that. But my pulse was high. She asked if it had been high before and if I'd been feeling alright. Yes I felt fine. No it's not usually high. Nobody ever said anything before. So she ordered an EKG on me. That also showed just high pulse. It was lower that when she took my pulse, but still higher than it needed it to be. So she went over my medications and told me it's *likely* due to the medications I'm on, but until I got it under control, she wasn't going to pass me. Well, thank you lady. Now I just lost a really great job opportunity and gained a tremendous amount of stress that I thought I'd just gotten rid of...

Friday afternoon I searched online a bit for some natural remedies for my migraines and I did find a few. I've put in an email to my doctor, since his office number goes through the main branch and it's impossible to get directly to his office, that's the easiest way to reach him. I have an appointment scheduled with him coming up, but it's not until the end of May. So I've told him my current situation and the supplements I'm thinking of taking and asking if they would be okay for me. I've also redirected my focus back to the DASH diet.

My back still hurts me a lot, so I can't get back to my Just Dance games yet. But I'm going to make more of an effort to get in some walks. I've already taken two short walks for breaks during work today. It's not a lot, I know, but it's a start in the right direction! And oh my gosh! I happened upon a marathon of My 600-Lb Life over the weekend. Oh yes! That is most definitely a huge motivating factor for me!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

LOBOSMOMMA 4/28/2014 7:01PM

    I emailed the HR guy today to ask about that. He actually responded pretty quickly and told me that I would remain eligible for a year before I had to retake the test and all again. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon and they still have a few slots available by the time I get it taken care of. They needed 17 people when I went through, and there were only 4 of us that passed that time. So, maybe there's still hope. I'm feeling a little better now, but still. I was ready to start the middle of next month!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DCWILLIAMS831 4/28/2014 4:34PM

    Are they allowing you to retake the physical? Hang in there - and in the meantime DANCE. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
PICKIE98 4/28/2014 4:08PM

    Who would NOT have a high pulse if they were trying to get a job? Nervous?? Of course.. WHy didn't they let you sit and rest or lie down for a few,, any normal doc's office does that!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Patience Is NOT My Friend Today

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Monday afternoon, I got a call from the HR guy giving me a conditional job offer. He tells me he needs me to get in for a physical this week, like the following day. So I tell him well I'll need about an hour notice since I'll be driving from work. He tells me they normally schedule the appointments first thing in the morning and that I should wait to hear from him first. So, Tuesday morning, that's what I did. I never heard from him. I called him and got no answer. I went on in to work. Called several times yesterday. Left several voicemails and sent him an email. I even called the main HR line to see if he was in. Yes, he was, and they transferred me. To his voicemail. I call first thing this morning. Again his voicemail. Several times. Call the main HR line and ask if anyone else can help me. Nope. He'll be in by 12. He's doing offsite testing. Ask about yesterday. Oh he was in and out all day. This guy made it sound like he needed me in ASAP. Meanwhile I am currently employed and need to give my current employer a heads up. I'm quite ticked off about yesterday. I don't understand why I still haven't gotten a quick phone call or email. My tentative start date is in 3 weeks, but it hinges on me passing my physical. So basically that needs to get done this week. I need to give my employer 2 weeks notice. I'm really having a hard time being patient at this point. Especially since he made it seem so important that I make my Tuesday morning free for him, and I STILL haven't gotten in touch with him as of 1:30 on Wednesday afternoon. I mean, I'm happy about the job offer and all. But now that he doesn't seem in a rush to get back to me, it makes me hesitant. I've seen nothing in writing yet. Alright. I think I'm done venting now.


I finally got my call back about 30 minutes ago, shortly before 4:00. My appointment is Friday morning. Then possibly in for fingerprinting on Monday morning. As long as they decide I'm fit for duty, I'll be starting my new job May 19! I'm hoping my blood pressure isn't an issue. I'm being treated for it by my VA doctor.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

LOBOSMOMMA 4/24/2014 12:45PM

    The medication I'm on now keeps it where it needs to be. I just hope it isn't an issue that I have it, period. I'm thinking they're mainly doing a drug test though.

Report Inappropriate Comment
PANFRIEDTROUT 4/23/2014 7:02PM

I'm glad he finally got back with you & thus remove some of the stress. As for the high blood pressure, make sure to keep up on your meds. also try some very slow, deep breathing for a few minutes before they put the cuff on & at the same time you're breathing, close your eyes & think of the most happy, calming things that you can.

good luck!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LOBOSMOMMA 4/23/2014 4:08PM

    Yes, I did email him yesterday. He did finally call me back about 30 minutes ago. That's an awful long time to make me wait though! After telling me he needed to get me in ASAP. I'm good now though. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NIKKICOLE83 4/23/2014 1:29PM

    Could you email him? If he is working off-site, I am sure he is on his email most of the day. If you do not know it, ask the receptionist for it.

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 Last Page